A double weight loss again!

Options
Okay, so my family and I are on a "mini-vacation" and I brought my scale with me. Saturday is my normal weigh-in day, so I woke up at around 8:00 to weigh in. Last week I was 249.2.... This week I'm 244.8!! HOLY COW. I usually drop down two pounds every week. I've noticed that a few weeks ago, I also had a 4 pounds loss while my family and I went to an out-of-state reunion. Both these weeks with the four pound drops, I've been out of state and in a hotel room. Both weeks I've also refrained from my usual cheat meal on the Saturday before. (Though I still sometimes pick at things throughout the week... Like yesterday I had a handful of french fries. :embarassed: )

So, what's going on here?! Do hotels have magical powers? Or is the fact that I didn't purposely cheat on the Saturday before? And, if so, whyyyyy? And, does that mean I'm losing too fast too be healthy?

Or is it just a coincidence/freak of nature?

EDIT: Woah. Just compared the two weeks' food logs. Both weeks I've also gotten closer to 1300 calories and even several times above 1300. (My calories goal is 1460) Normally, I have trouble getting to 1100. Is THAT the key? :D I'm so confused!!

Replies

• mictur
    mictur Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You have to eat in order to lose the weight. Maybe you need more calories. Good for you losing that during vacation. My eyes went up high when I read you took your scale with you on vacation. Are you crazy? What did your husband say? It's bad enough that I have to pee every hour let alone taking a scale. I gain 3 lbs. on vacation but I know I lost them again and hopefully more when I weigh myself on Monday. Enjoy your vacation.:flowerforyou:
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    It probably is because you were eating more. Your body needs fuel to burn the fat!
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Vacations normally require lots of walking--from the car to the gas station bathrooms, to the hotel room, down for meals and all the exciting reasons you went to that hotel in the first place.
    Walking, plus eating your calories, is a real winner!

Have fun this summer! :drinker: (water)---Love that you took your scale! If you drive, the weight doesn't matter, does it? ;)
  • tearianna
    tearianna Posts: 7
    Options
    I had a similar thing happen to me! I was out of town all last week. My sis and I did a few walk/jogs, but nothing compared to the typical gym time I clock on a normal weekly basis. And I did not watch my eating very carefully because we always ate out. In fact, there were a few times that I was pretty sure I had 2000 calorie days, at least! So this morning, after getting home, I got on the scale and prayed that I didn't gain back every single pound I had worked so hard to lose. And GO FIGURE. I actually lost weight. It's a mystery!
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    There are any number of factors that could contribute: I know I have lost weight on vacay before because I'm hyper-vigilant about eating at restaurants and tend to over-estimate my calories to be safe, so realistically may be eating a lot less than I normally do. Or the reverse could be true, that you ate more than usual and kicked your metabolism into high gear. I have a free day most weekends where I eat at maintenance level and, as long as I keep it to only one day a week, I tend to lose the same if not more weight during those weeks.

Also, I don't think it's weird at all that you took your scale. I take mine when I go on vacay because it helps me stay on plan so I don't end up bingeing the whole time. Nobody in my family thinks it's weird because both of my parents are diabetic. They're just happy their kid is taking control of their health now.
  • Katt71
    Katt71 Posts: 15
    Options
    I've been very skeptical of the 'not less than 1200' calories rule. However, I think I'm a believer now. I started out losing easily, then slowed down some. I began really logging and watching what I was eating. I noticed that most days I was around 800-900 calories. My weight loss was also 1.5-2 pounds a week. It's really hard (mentally) for me to push the calories higher, but I've been doing it this week. I've averaged around 1150 this week with the same amount of excersize and lost 4.5 pounds. That just might be the key.

I don't think there is anything wrong with losing more than 2 lbs a week if you are feeding your body and getting healthy exercise. Especially when you have a lot to lose. I'm still 100 lbs from 'target' and I know that as I get closer the weight loss will naturally slow. I figure there's so much fat for my body use right now, let it go crazy burning it away. As long as I'm doing it the healthy way and feeding my body enough good stuff to eat. :-)
  • iwannawearatutu
    iwannawearatutu Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I think it's probably the slight increase in calories, yeah. And as I understand it - I'm not a doctor or a nutritionist or anything, but I've read a fair bit about weight loss - it's generally ok to lose more than 2 lbs a week if you are still at a point of having a lot (100+) to lose.

Props to you on bringing your scale; I don't think I could do that! :)
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I think it's the increase in calories. I use to eat 1200 calories (around the time I hit 200 lbs) and my friend asked me one day, "as you get smaller and closer to goal you have to go down in calories, where are you going to go if you're already at 1200?" She made me think and I went up in calories. Just my 2 cents.
    Also, were you not working out? I find taking a week off every now and then helps me lose a little more, I'm sure there's a reason but I don't know what it is.