Is coffee good for weight loss?

Options
Is it okay to drink a small cup of black hazelnut coffee with 1 equal. Will it help me with my weight loss? I weigh 147 pounds. My goal is to be 135 by the end of June.

Replies

• terrib1980
    terrib1980 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I drink 2-3 cups of coffee a day (just black or sometimes with a Splenda). I don't think it's necessarily "good for weight loss", but it hasn't hurt me at all. I started at 155lbs in February and I'm at 137lbs today.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Equal? Yuk. Doesn't aspartame form fermaldehyde once metabolized?

Caffeine has shown in some studies that it can increase physical performance when working out.
  • Jamesroland
    Options
    I really fail to see how coffee could help in weight loss. I think you would be just better off drinking chilled water. Got this excerpt from health.howstuffworks.com So in the case of a 16-ounce glass of ice water, your body must raise the temperature of 473.18 grams of water from zero to 37 degrees C. In doing so, your body burns 17,508 calories. But that's calories with a little "c." Your body only burns 17.5 Calories, and in the grand scheme of a 2,000-Calorie diet, that 17.5 isn't very significant.
    But let's say you adhere to the "eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day" nutritional recommendation. In 64 ounces of water, there are 1,892.72 grams. So to warm up all that water in the course of a day, your body burns 70,030 calories, or 70 Calories. And over time, that 70 Calories a day adds up. So, while you definitely shouldn't depend on ice water consumption to replace exercise or a healthy diet, drinking cold water instead of warm water does, in fact, burn some extra Calories! Just an interesting fact when you think about it. You can also find more ideas for weight loss at www.weightslain.com. Hope that was helpful.
  • NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options
    I really fail to see how coffee could help in weight loss.

Two words:

Anorectic.

Thermogenic.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Considering I drink at least ten mugs of coffee a day (at least) and have been successfully gaining weight, I would have to say no, it doesn't do much at all.

Then again I also eat a bar of chocolate or two daily, so what do I know.
  • FATJAKE5
    FATJAKE5 Posts: 162
    Options
    Coffee, accroding to my cardiologist,.......Yes! The sweetener I don't know about.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    The caffeine in coffee may help slightly in weight loss. It acts as a diuretic and will help you lose some water weight, and it might cause an ever-so-slight increase in your metabolism, but not likely anything significant on that front. In the end, it really isn't going to impact you much either way, all other things being equal.

And ONE packet of Equal is perfectly fine.
  • americangirlok
    americangirlok Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    For me it does in a sense b/c 1) it's something w/ no calories that solves my caffeine issue so I'm not drinking soda. 2) the caffeine wakes me up and gets me moving and I drink it in a small six ounce cup so I have to get up to go refill it and 3) this is kinda an overshare, but it helps regulate me which just makes me feel better. Oh and I have to get up to go pee so it makes me move in that sense too. I have a desk job- I'll take what I can get lol.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Doesn't help. Doesn't hurt. There is no food that causes weight loss.
  • FindingMyself24
    FindingMyself24 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    My husband claims that caffeine is an appetite suppressant...I LOVE me some coffee...I drink it all the time...I haven't had any issues with it effecting my results...now what you put in your coffee could be a different story...I use stevia..almond milk or one of those sugar free powders...if I'm hungry it helps with my cravings at night...
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I drink 3 cups black coffee a day! hasn't helped with my weight loss, diet and exercise have done that, but I honestly don't think it has slowed it down at all. I would suggest cutting out the added sugars/creams/chemicals though! I buy fresh coffee beans and have actually developed a love for the actual taste of coffee...now it's just too sweet and sugary with anything added :)

Best of luck with your goals!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    If it gives you more energy to move more, then yes. Moving more = burning more calories.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    I am a bit worried about the way you worded that, as if people were going to berate you if you put milk and sugar in your coffee because OMG CALORIES!

In my experience, coffee has helped me get up and going to do my workout....so I guess its good for MY weightloss.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee e cause I enjoy it. I has nothing to do with weight loss but I get a great deal of satisfaction from it. That cannot be measured.
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Well coffee makes me pee....therefore I don't tend to feel bloated

and coffee makes me regular so I dont feel....well you get the idea

So where it may not help with weight loss sometimes I drink a cup or two and feel alot better!
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Coffee is wonderful.. but I do not drink it to lose weight. I drink it because I get migraines with out it :explode:
  • Funnyfishat40
    Funnyfishat40 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Err, decaf anyone
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Answer = Negligable harm.

This means that It definitely helps because you dont need to drastically reduce all the things that make you happy in life. Just keep drinking it. The battle against weight loss is a psychological one as much as a physical one, and people can give in when they are losing the psychological one, even though they may be winning the physical one.
  • fluffychicken7
    fluffychicken7 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    No, according to the Mayo Clinic there is no definitive studies that can link caffeine to losing weight. It also caution that caffeine when used in moderation is safe, but in excess amounts may cause other problems, like insomnia, nervousness, nausea, headaches like a poster just said and increased blood pressure. I hope this helps?