Hi all, shiftworker trying to lose weight and get healthy :)

Options
Hey everyone!

Brand new to this, downloaded the app after seeing a work mate lose some serious weight, he looks great now so I figured I'd give this a bash, looking to get some advice from other shift workers for dealing with the multitude of problems we encounter with food and finding time to exercise.
Anyone's welcome to join me on my journey, not only shift workers, because I'm looking for a little support as I've tried to do this many many times, but this time I'm just really sick of being weak and pudgy, so now it's time to get the ball rolling!

Thanks for reading, hope to see you on the forums!

Rhys

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    hey man. i do a lot of shift work. i'l generally work 3-4 day shifts (6am-6pm) in a row, have 2-3 days off, then work 3-4 nights shifts (6p-6a) and then have a few days off. it's honestly not as bad as it sounds now that i've figured out how my body responds to the changing work schedule.

basically, i don't really exercise on the day shifts. they're long days, and it gets exhausting. on the nights i can generally squeeze in some decent work outs if i've ate and slept properly. for instance today i got home at about 7am, slept until noon. had breakfast and coffee, and was at the gym by 2pm, and home by 3pm. a nice quick work out.

now on days off, i generally try and get two work outs in a day. i lift in the morning, and cardio in the afternoon or evening. obviously i built up to that, so don't try it right away. i can usually push really hard because i'll have a few rest days coming up in the form of my day shifts.

all the while make sure to stay spot on with the food intake.
  • MsKriss281
    MsKriss281 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I work a 6 week rotating shift and honestly after 6 years I'm still not sure my body knows what I'm doing.

Through trial and error, I have found what works best for me and you will too. My days tend to be long and grueling so if I don't get to the gym I fit in some workout time at home. I suggest planning your meals, taking your food with you and always being prepared. It helps! It is most definitely a pain but well worth it when you see results. I eat 3 meals and plan for 1-2 snacks a day. If I am going out to eat I spend some time researching the nutritional information provided for the restaurant or search the MFP database to get an idea of what would best suit my caloric needs and what my body is wanting.

Just remember that there will be hits and misses in this journey but once you find your stride you will see amazing changes in yourself. Best of luck on your journey.
  • eld006
    eld006 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello! I work shiftwork 12 hours (6AM-6PM) and I am just getting back on track with this App. I work at a Police Dept so donuts and bad fast food are plentiful. I try and get to the gym after work but motivating myself is hard. Feel free to add me and I will do the same, its all about support on these kind of things so if I can help someone reach their goal I'm down!

Em