Lymph Massage

Options

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    A massage that helps you lose weight or cellulite? My, uneducated, guess is that it's probably a waste of money.

Its not just for weight loss. I'm reading that is has a lot of benefits. Some random sites are showing help with weight around your stomach and with cellulite. Which I thought sounded like BS, hence the reason I posted this. Thanks, but no thanks for your uneducated guess.

Man, you really need a massage.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    A massage that helps you lose weight or cellulite? My, uneducated, guess is that it's probably a waste of money.

Massage is actually one of the only verified methods for reducing the appearance of cellulite. It wont remove it, but it will reduce its appearance temporarily. Idk about lymph massage specifically...
  • kt_731
    kt_731 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You may want to tone down the sarcasm. It's rude. People are just giving their thoughts on it.

And you did ask if it helps with weight loss. Just sayin'.

Yeah that was a part of my post, but come on... I realize lowering calories and burning more causes weight loss. I was directing this post to people who know anything about lymph massage, since I do not know anything about it.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options

Man, you really need a massage.

QFT
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    BUMP WILL GET BACK TO YOU AFTER MY MEETINGS GG
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options

Okay, cool. Just looking up different ways to release toxins out of the body.Thought this sounded cool.

Oh man....here we go
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I've had some lymph massage before. It was just part of a regular massage. It is very gentle, especially on the side of the neck. It stimulates your lymph nodes to drain and stimulates your lymphatic system. Which I don't think necessarily helps you with weight loss. The best thing for your lymphatic system is exercise. But if you are injured or immobile or can't otherwise walk or do any cardio, then lymph massage can be very helpful.

Okay, cool. Just looking up different ways to release toxins out of the body. Thought this sounded cool.
    You has toxinz? Maybe you should do a cleanse.*

Joke, you don't need a cleanse.
  • kt_731
    Options
    Yeah, hon.... the sarcasm isn't getting you anywhere. Instead of "reading" that things make you lose weight, etc etc, why don't you use the time to get your arce to the gym? It's probably time more well spent. Just IMO. :drinker: Then, as previously suggested, go have a massage to loosen the muscles you worked. Or, maybe you need one before hand to loosen you up period.....

Asking if the massage helped with weight loss was just a part of my post. My main concern is if it was beneficial at all. A new massage place opened, they advertised a lymph massage, and I had no idea what that was. I do go to the gym, thanks.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Its not just for weight loss. I'm reading that is has a lot of benefits. Some random sites are showing help with weight around your stomach and with cellulite. Which I thought sounded like BS, hence the reason I posted this. Thanks, but no thanks for your uneducated guess.

How about my highly educated confirmation that it has no effect on weight loss around your stomach?

Lymphatic massages might have a diuretic effect and nudge weight loss due to water weight. But that's it.
    Edit: While useful for people under certain medical conditions I would spend my money on a deep muscle massage first. Or a trainer session.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I've had a lymphatic massage before. I have no idea if it would help for weight loss, but with the right massage therapist, it's wonderful. It will definitely ease stress and make you feel great.
  • StrongAtLast
    StrongAtLast Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Depending where you live, $70/hour is not an unreasonable price, depending on the place. (i.e...is it a swanky spa? Then you're going to pay more) As an MT in Michigan, the going rate is about $50-$60 for an hour, for swedish, sports, lymphatic massage. If you do want to try it, you can also look for other massage therapists.
  • TGMD
    TGMD Posts: 1 Member
    Options
  • kt_731
    Options
    I've had a lymphatic massage before. I have no idea if it would help for weight loss, but with the right massage therapist, it's wonderful. It will definitely ease stress and make you feel great.

Okay, good to hear that it has some benefits. Thanks!
  • kt_731
    Options
    Depending where you live, $70/hour is not an unreasonable price, depending on the place. (i.e...is it a swanky spa? Then you're going to pay more) As an MT in Michigan, the going rate is about $50-$60 for an hour, for swedish, sports, lymphatic massage. If you do want to try it, you can also look for other massage therapists.

Okay good to know. They have other types of massages that seem to be pretty cheap. The lymph massage was the most costly, well that and the hot stone massage which I have yet to try as well.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Okay, cool. Just looking up different ways to release toxins out of the body.Thought this sounded cool.

Oh man....here we go

Actually, it does help with that.

The lymphatic system collects and transports a variety of bacterial antigens and is part of the inflammatory response to infection or disease. When engorged and either the transport is reduced (immobile patients, for example) or volumes are high, a massage can help with lymph transport and macrophage waste removal. This waste is, in a large sense, toxins from self and foreign biological bodies and its transport for excretion is part of the normal body function.

If your lymphatic system works well you don't need a massage. It feels nice.

Oh, and in general it's a bunch of hokum.
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Exercise is one of the best ways to move your lymph. Dry brushing is also a great way to move your lymph, and is a lot cheaper than a massage :) Why don't you try doing that for a few weeks, and see if you notice any results that way? Plus, its really good for your skin tone overall as well!

You are going to be met with a lot of skeptics on here for things that are not "mainstream" or things that people suspect are a "short cut" to weight loss, etc etc etc.

I don't think it could hurt to try. Either way, its going to feel relaxing, which will lower cortisol (sp?) which in turn reduces weight stored around your middle :)
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Since "toxins" is such a mis-used word, and most things that say they "release toxins" are BS, you may have been misunderstood. That said, it seems this particular massage is helpful for people whose lymphatic systems are not working properly. If you have no particular health issues that reduce the function of your lymphatic system, a regular massage would probably be a better way to spend your money, as your body naturally rids itself of toxins when it's functioning properly and no massage is needed for that. Massage in general, however, is excellent for your muscles and can help you with workouts.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Is this the new detox/cleanse thing now? Exactly what toxins are released that your body can't do itself????
  • kt_731
    Options
    Exercise is one of the best ways to move your lymph. Dry brushing is also a great way to move your lymph, and is a lot cheaper than a massage :) Why don't you try doing that for a few weeks, and see if you notice any results that way? Plus, its really good for your skin tone overall as well!

You are going to be met with a lot of skeptics on here for things that are not "mainstream" or things that people suspect are a "short cut" to weight loss, etc etc etc.

I don't think it could hurt to try. Either way, its going to feel relaxing, which will lower cortisol (sp?) which in turn reduces weight stored around your middle :)

I had tried dry brushing awhile back. I need to pick it up again. I don't know if it really helped with cellulite, etc but it made my skin super soft.

Just trying to find more ways to feel and look better, no short cuts here.
  • kt_731
    Options
    Since "toxins" is such a mis-used word, and most things that say they "release toxins" are BS, you may have been misunderstood. That said, it seems this particular massage is helpful for people whose lymphatic systems are not working properly. If you have no particular health issues that reduce the function of your lymphatic system, a regular massage would probably be a better way to spend your money, as your body naturally rids itself of toxins when it's functioning properly and no massage is needed for that. Massage in general, however, is excellent for your muscles and can help you with workouts.

Okay awesome. I have had several normal massages, so I will probably just stick to that. They do help a lot with helping sore muscles from working out.