What are some everyday ordanary foods that are yummy AND hea

Options
I'm getting board with foods. And I can't seem to find any yummy healthy foods, and I've been eating the same things over and over. please help me and give me idea. please and thank you.

Replies

• RDTaylor13
    RDTaylor13 Posts: 160
    Options
    Depending on who you talk to, some say that any foods are ok, in moderation, and others have said not to eat anything that comes canned, or preserved. if you could give some examples of what you've been eating, others might be able to give you some ideas of how to change yoru menu up, or improve on it for you.
  • hungreeteacher17
    hungreeteacher17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Do you like to grill? I chop up red, yellow, & green bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, pineapple, and lean chicken or pork (you could do fish or shrimp also) brush with either some teriyaki sauce & pineapple juice or BBQ sauce thinned with water, skewer them up & grill until meat is cooked & veg is cooked but still crisp with grill lines.

Yum - serve with some brown rice or try dicing up a yam, half an onion, and half & green pepper & saute in olive oil until yam is cooked. Sprinkle with grill seasoning - I like Weber Chicago Steak grinder & enjoy!

(That's what I had for dinner tonight & it was really good.) Also try tasteofhome.com & check their healty recipes & recipe makeovers. kraftrecipes.com also has some good ( & simple) recipes in the healthy living section.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you live.....
    But, It's summer! Fruit, fruit, and fruit! I keep a cut up watermelon in my frige. I eat one a week.
    Kiwi are my new best friend. There are melons galore right now! Try some. One that you have never had.
    Go to a farmers market. They have them all over the place these days. Try something new. You never know what you'll like. I found out that I like beets - I never would have guessed that one!
    Have fun with food! Just keep it healthy!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you live.....
    But, It's summer! Fruit, fruit, and fruit! I keep a cut up watermelon in my frige. I eat one a week.
    Kiwi are my new best friend. There are melons galore right now! Try some. One that you have never had.
    Go to a farmers market. They have them all over the place these days. Try something new. You never know what you'll like. I found out that I like beets - I never would have guessed that one!
    Have fun with food! Just keep it healthy!
    How do you fix your beets? I fear beets!:ohwell: But only because I've never tried them, even got some in my CSA box the other day, they looked lovely (if you like beets..lol) and traded them to someone else, well actually gave them away.

Thanks for any beet news you might pass along,
    Becca:drinker:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I'm getting board with foods. And I can't seem to find any yummy healthy foods, and I've been eating the same things over and over. please help me and give me idea. please and thank you.
    If you have access to a grill, good time to use it since it's so hot out. I don't so I'm making do with my crockpot and enjoying that since I don't have to heat up the whole house with my stove.

Are you looking for new meal ideas? New snack (healthy yum ones) ideas? or?
  • kickitlarson
    kickitlarson Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Bananas, dates, fresh figs, papaya, apples & almond butter, hummus with red pepper slices, bananas with carob sauce, and minty carob shakes are some of my favorites! Oh and banana crunch popsicles!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh and we take bananas, mangos, pineapples, cherries...any fruit really and blend a couple of them up and put in popsicle molds - cool treat on a hot day!!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Bananas, dates, fresh figs, papaya, apples & almond butter, hummus with red pepper slices, bananas with carob sauce, and minty carob shakes are some of my favorites! Oh and banana crunch popsicles!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh and we take bananas, mangos, pineapples, cherries...any fruit really and blend a couple of them up and put in popsicle molds - cool treat on a hot day!!
    Great idea on the Pops, thanks! :)
  • cehrenhaus
    cehrenhaus Posts: 42
    Options
    I don't eat anything pre made, I cook it all myself and that way keep control on how healthy is what I am eating. I have a blog in which I enter some of the recipes I make up, you can see it here http://faerywitch.wordpress.com/category/recipes/
    Most of them are super healthy, some of them are a little higher in calories but still healthy.
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    At the minute I am loving salads
    lettuce
    cucumber
    radishes
    cherry plum tomatoes
    grated carrot
    grated courgette
    heinz light salad cream
    some deli meats or trout,salmon whatever I fancy really ,been getting some lettuce from lidl that you just cut when you want its lovely .
  • cbuggin22
    cbuggin22 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Do you like to grill? I chop up red, yellow, & green bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, pineapple, and lean chicken or pork (you could do fish or shrimp also) brush with either some teriyaki sauce & pineapple juice or BBQ sauce thinned with water, skewer them up & grill until meat is cooked & veg is cooked but still crisp with grill lines.

Love this! My husband and I do this. I love doing red onion with the chicken. I've never done pork, he does steak. And fresh pineapple is so good grilled!
  • pheebers
    pheebers Posts: 5
    Options
    I have found that a cup of rice krispies cereal with 3/4 cup each of blueberries and skim milk is really, really filling. I don't know why it's so filling, but it's delicious!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    1 serving of raw almonds (24 almonds) & a serving of raisins (1/4c ?) in a snack sized baggie shaken to mix is delish combo! Easy to grab and go and toss in the car, the gym bag or premake them and have some on hand in the cupboards!

Cheese chunks 1 oz, w/sliced apple
    String cheese w/fruit
    nuts w/piece of fruit

Banana sliced length wise then take 1 T (or 2 if you have the cals to use, I used 1T and it was perfect) spread it down on side of the flat side of the banana, slap the other side of the banana on top. POOF! A very cool banana sandwich. Great fat/carb/protein combo!

Fresh veggies that you cut up ahead of time and stash em' in zippie bags so you have them on hand to use for stirfry, eating raw, tossing in omlets, pita pizzas and the list goes on:wink:

If you're looking for complete meals there are some pretty awesome recipes for crockpot meals on quite a number of threads in the archives here on MFP. One of many members very fav seems to be the Salsa Chicken Crockpot recipe. Planning on picking up ingredients for that today to toss together tomorrow or the next day. Definitely don't want to use the oven with the heat, not me, no way!:noway: .

I'll dig up the recipe and paste it on here if I find it easily, k?:flowerforyou:

Another thing I do is cook up a dozen eggs, I hard boil them or whatever amount fits in your saucepan and then I put them all in a container or once again a large zippy bag in the fridge for snack or salad toppings or eggsalad or... and the list goes on:wink:

Another great time saving tip I now do is cooking up a big pot of brown rice and let it cool then pour it all in yet another large zippy bag seal it up tight and use that for the week. Warmed for the Salsa Crockpot Chicken recipe I mentioned earlier, or toss in some rice with a stir fry, mix in with steamed veggies and chicken chunks, even on a salad. Rice has so many uses, tasty on its own as well.

Tuna melts, Tuna rollups, Tuna on flatbreads, all with lots of veggies mixed in.

Well there's some ideas. Wasn't exactly sure if you were looking for new dinner meals or take to work lunches or simply a nice change of quick snack ideas. I think many of us covered a bit of them all:laugh:

Hope you find lots of new ideas, it's definitely more pleasant and far easier to prepare new meals/healthy snacks when you find more varieties:drinker:

Becca:flowerforyou:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I have found that a cup of rice krispies cereal with 3/4 cup each of blueberries and skim milk is really, really filling. I don't know why it's so filling, but it's delicious!
    Wow, glad you shared, never thought to put blueberries in my cereal, neat idea! :)

How cool is this site!! :love: So many ppl so willing to share what they enjoy and what works for them:drinker: :heart: :drinker: :heart: :drinker:

Becca:flowerforyou:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Here ya go, here's the recipe I was talking about above, SUPER easy and quick and saves you cooking on the stove!:bigsmile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/15737-slow-cooker-salsa-chicken