Body fat percentage gone up?

Options
When I joined the gym two weeks ago they weighed me, measured me and took my body fat percentage. I've been doing 1.5 - 2 hours in the gym every day and have been eating really healthily.

Today they did it again and I've lost weight but my body fat percentage has gone UP by 2%. How is that possible?? Feeling really disheartened by it :(

Replies

• smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't stress about it too much if I were you. I would assume that the first one was done wrong. There is always room for human error.
    How do you feel?
    Do you feel better from working out?
    Do you feel better from eating healthy?
    That's what it's about.
    The rest will follow. Who cares what one number says!
    Keep up the good work!
    Steph
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I would go with "Tester Error" Here is an article about measuring fat percentages:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4904940_test-body-fat-percentage.html

Personally, I'd only be interested in being tested by the dunk yourself in water method.
  • Duganhorse
    Duganhorse Posts: 55
    Options
    I am sure it is an error on there part. I would have it checked by a dr if you are worried about it.
  • DelawareGal
    Options
    Another thing to consider-either test has an error variable due to your water status at the time of the test. Depending on the source you ask it can vary by 2-7%. So, don't worry about it too much. Like LainMac said, the dunk method would be the gold standard to worry about if it actually went up. Try taking tape measurements next time (and each time) and compare those as well. Here is a web site you can use to plug the numbers in for a comparative number:

http://www.linear-software.com/online.html

Most major universities that have Sports Technologies also do the hydrostatic method. Call around and see if one close to you does it. Sometimes it's free (if they have their students do the test-it's overseen by the professor). Sometimes it's a nominal fee. You don't have to have it done very often, maybe once or twice a year.
  • joannasaurusrex
    Options
    It was done by the same machine both times so not sure if it could be human error?

The water thing may have something to do with it though - the first time, it was when I had just arrived at the gym, and today it was after my workout and I'd drunk 2-3 bottles of water.
  • bellanean
    bellanean Posts: 220
    Options
    It was done by the same machine both times so not sure if it could be human error?

The water thing may have something to do with it though - the first time, it was when I had just arrived at the gym, and today it was after my workout and I'd drunk 2-3 bottles of water.

My trainer says never to measure your body fat after you work out it can go up A LOT. Do it next time when you first arrive to the gym, it will be more accurate that way.