i just can't stop eating :( :( feeling so down

Options
i literally cant remeber the last time i didnt eat ridiculous amounts of food.

today i was doing SO well. just ate my dinner, and i was within my calories. but literally minutes later i went into the cupboard and ate 4 chocolate bars and made myself 2 chicken burgers. WHY?????

i do this ALL THE TIME :(:(

even if i have a really good day i will just go crazy afterwards.

i have chronic fatigue syndrome so its not even like i can exercise it off. i just have no energy. i just sit and cry about my weight all the time.

i've started to be happier etc but its almost as if subconciously i want to make myself feel ill and *kitten* because maybe i dont love myself as much as i think i do.

im so sorry this is a miserable and depressing post i just dont know what to do anymore. i just cant stay fat forever :(

Replies

• samanthalee87
    Options
    You sound frustrated!!! I just read your post and can definitely relate. I have great days and then other I can eat a MASSIVE meal and still want seconds and thirds and a piece of cake after! Trust me you are NOT alone in this battle? Being on MFP does help though. Feel free to add me as a friend to help motivate you!
    I also just started a health and fitness group to help people stay motivated and on track to avoid these kinds of problems. Would you like to join the group?
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I had to put my diary open and post my actual weight in my ticker. Just having strangers on the internet know how I was doing was a form of accountability to me.

Also if you are binging, maybe you need to eat more every other day to help try to binge less.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Why do you have food like that in your house if you can't control yourself?
  • eargirl
    eargirl Posts: 15
    Options
    I think it's important to remember that it's one meal, one day. Tomorrow you eat well, just don't allow the negative thoughts to let you snowball one slip-up. I'm an emotional eater and binge from time to time. But I don't let a emotional binge on Wednesday turn into Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat and on and on. That's what you have to (must) keep in mind!
  • Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I would recommend you get some professional counseling. It sounds like your are suffering from severe depression. Maybe with professional help you can get at the root of why you self sabatoge. Basically it comes down to believing you are worth it!!

It's a struggle everyday. I know. But, please get some professional help!
  • kookanddra
    Options
    I'm sorry you feel that way especially about yourself. First of all you need to tell yourself that your a good person, you love yourself no matter what and you do have the ability to change. I don't have energy, I really don't like to exercise so I didn't know how MFP would work for me. But within 4 months I lost almost 25 pounds by just watching what I ate. If i was hungry i either had a spoon of peanut butter, or hard boiled egg or I just stayed hungry. Eventually my stomach shrunk and everynight i was hungy less. Its all about self control. You have to find it within yourself!! You have it. I know you do. Add me if you want as a friend. I'll send you personal messages and we can talk if that helps. sometimes just to talk about it helps.
  • imfullerthanu
    imfullerthanu Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Whenever i feel like eating I try several different thing. I hop on MFP and look at forum posts and interesting health topics, I chew gum, I cross stitch, I've even colored in a coloring book! I just have to keep my hands busy.
    I know having Chronic Fatigue is really hard but sometimes pushing through the pain to get yourself out in the sun for a slow walk (10 min even!) can boost your mood so you will have more control over what you put into your body.
    You may also want to increase how many calories you eat every day untill you can master that then slowly decrease as you feel ready.
    REMEMBER!!! Weight loss is about adjusting your lifestyle to be more health for life not just to drop some weight and be done with it. The slower you go the more likely you will keep it off.
    Good Luck!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I would recommend you get some professional counseling.
    I agree. I think that if this is something you're doing a lot, and you don't feel that you can control it at all, it might be time to get some professional help. No shame in that. :flowerforyou:
  • PosterPens
    PosterPens Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    i literally cant remeber the last time i didnt eat ridiculous amounts of food.

today i was doing SO well. just ate my dinner, and i was within my calories. but literally minutes later i went into the cupboard and ate 4 chocolate bars and made myself 2 chicken burgers. WHY?????

i do this ALL THE TIME :(:(

what are you eating during the day?? make sure you are eating tons of protein for breakfast and lunch. it really does help me keep the urge of binging down..if at all. also make sure to leave some room for calories for a snack that you love at the end of the day, like ice cream or chocolate. and get those foods youre binging on constantly OUT OF THE HOUSE.
  • NikNakNoNo
    Options
    No, you cant stay overweight forever, and you wont. This was one day. Next time, binge on the healthier stuff in your cupboard and set a calorie limit to your binge - for example 800 calories. The next binge - 750 calories and so you go until 400. Dont tell yourself you will never do it again.... see it as part of the eating 'reframing' you have to do. And always allow a binge of 400 calories a week on any day you choose. You may take a little longer but at least enjoy the excesses in life and give in to the 'f-u' we all feel.

And I don't buy that stuff about sabotaging yourself and not loving yourself. Binge eating is experienced by every single person who has ever restricted their eating. It's human nature, we all do it. So allow yourself to stumble and start practicing stumbling with a little more grace.
  • jennbloss
    Options
    I really can relate.. I just started my journey to a new healthier and thinner me.. and I have very little support at home because my son and my husband dont like healthy food and are so picky.. but what seems to help me is when grocery shopping dont buy any chocolate bars.. reward your self with low calorie chocolate snacks you can find them in the same isle as ritz crackers and things like that.. I love cereal so I buy the low calorie almond milk and honey nut cheerios.. and they have the low fat yogurt pretzels and they are delicious.. if u need any ideas for meals let me know and If i dont have the answers my brother in law Scott will.. he has been my support system.. hope this helps..
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Log EVERYTHING. Including all the "go crazy" stuff you binged on. Consider opening your diary - if not to all of MFP, then at least your MFP friends. It helps to be accountable to at least one other person if being accountable to yourself is difficult.

It is frustrating. I've done it - had a great day, then just EATS ALL THE FOODS at night. It happens. I've learned here that it's not a serious problem unless it happens regularly and I can't control it. Try to look at your calories and macro intake as a weekly goal. Shoot for amounts over the course of a week. One day may be a spike, but overall, how does your week look?

Some people find that having a "cheat" day/meal helps with binging - one day or one meal a week where you can eat anything you want. That way, when the urge to raid the cupboard comes up, you can tell yourself "I'll wait till Saturday" or similar.

Most important, though, is the logging. If you do nothing else, commit to logging everything you consume. Try that for a week or two. Make logging your food a habit. Even if you binge, log it.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you don't have control at all, seek professional counseling.
  • cw822
    cw822 Posts: 107
    Options
    Take everything that' s bad for you in your cabinets/fridge and THROW THEM AWAY! Don't buy it, if it's not in the house you can't eat it.

And you should allow yourself a cheat day...figure out what thing satiates you when get your cravings and have that. It's work to change your eating habits, so log EVERYTHING you eat, no matter what!

Getting some counseling can't hurt either...the chronic fatigue could have you down and depressed and you're turning to food.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    My gut-level reaction to this is that there is an even worse feeling that you've learned to cover up with overeating and self loathing. It was true for me. I had the realization all of a sudden back in September that I was doing that to myself ON PURPOSE. It wasn't loss of control at all. It actually worked as a really good coping mechanism for avoiding the real problem - that my son was on drugs. I had a war going on in my subconscious (and occasionally conscious) mind about confronting him, fearing that if I did something like kick him out of my house, he would do even worse, maybe even die. It was hell. The old familiar feeling of overeating and hating myself for it was comforting somehow.

I've been climbing out of that pit ever since, and my son has been climbing out of his pit, too. It's hard on both of us, but at least we both know what's REALLY going on with each other. It's painful.

Please do some inner work. Confront what you've been avoiding. It might also help to keep the foods that grab you around the throat and drag you around the kitchen until they're gone off your shopping list for the time being. Eventually you'll have to learn self-control and moderation, but one battle at a time is more than enough to fight.

My very best wishes to you.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Unlike you, I feel awesome when I eat. Wait, are we talking about food or something else? Nevermind, carry on.
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    What's a "really good day"? Is it dramatically difficult to get through?
    What is your calorie goal?
    Are you always under calories by a lot before you go on your binge?
    Are you eating foods that satiate you (fiber, good carbs, veggies)?
    Are you eating too fast?

You can figure this out, it just takes work and an open mind. I will say that if you are 19 years old and eating, say, 1200 calories a day, you're probably not eating enough which is triggering you to overeat later.

Open up your diary.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    The great thing about MFP is that you can vent, you can let out your frustrations and be given thoughtful advice. It must have taken a lot to admit your faults and insecurities. You are brave for doing that!

Secondly, if you are having trouble with Food Control at the moment, try eliminating the culprit; Junk food. If it's not there, you can't eat it, right? Think, and I mean really think to yourself what is it that makes you binge and lose control. Is it Boredom? Problems at home? Emotional eating? Is it because food is the only thing you HAVE control of? Once you figure that out and can work on the issue, you can start allowing yourself to appreciate moderation. Instead of 4 chocolate bars, you can allow yourself to have a piece or 2 after dinner.

When you start to feel yourself losing control, take a deep breath. Hey, hop on MFP if it works and take part in some of the forums. Giving advice to others, might speak something to you, too. Or go for a quick walk. Do something to keep you busy to help take your mind of things. Eventually, you will feel yourself regaining control and no longer want to binge.

Good luck and all the best to you!!
  • slfordstthomas
    slfordstthomas Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    No, you cant stay overweight forever, and you wont. This was one day. Next time, binge on the healthier stuff in your cupboard and set a calorie limit to your binge - for example 800 calories. The next binge - 750 calories and so you go until 400. Dont tell yourself you will never do it again.... see it as part of the eating 'reframing' you have to do. And always allow a binge of 400 calories a week on any day you choose. You may take a little longer but at least enjoy the excesses in life and give in to the 'f-u' we all feel.

And I don't buy that stuff about sabotaging yourself and not loving yourself. Binge eating is experienced by every single person who has ever restricted their eating. It's human nature, we all do it. So allow yourself to stumble and start practicing stumbling with a little more grace.

What great advice!
  • Olese4ka
    Olese4ka Posts: 10
    Options
    Dear NC1994,

You've done the first step, you've registered on this page and made a choice to change your mind, lose weight and lifestyle, for your own good! That makes me think that you're intelligent girl that made the right choice and is motivated to achieve her goal.
    I've began to count my calories from yesterday and doing exercise on top of that, I've still have cravings for food, but today I already cut down my calories and resisted anything sugarry, wanted bar of chocolate but ate an apple instead, maybe you should try something similar, substitute unhealthy with healthy, and please keep the positive attitude as it is key to success. I'll be honest enough, before I've registered here, I've already started to change my lifestyle, I cut off sugar, I stop having food after 7, the odd times when i get late home from college I'd eat something because otherwise I wouldn't be able to sleep. Now I've made a new rule, if I ate and I still have a feeling that I'd eat more later and I know i won't be able to say no to myself, I go to sleep, and sleep til the morning, it helps alot as i don't eat during sleep and I get beauty sleep which is good for my skin:)

anyway i went of the point, please don't feel low, talk to people, read the success stories as those are very inspirational and in alot of cases show that we all in the same boat, and that losing weight is not easy, we all give up and feel low but then get up and continue because thats what we want, push yourself more, as well as that keep yourself as busy as possible, go for a walk with friends, its very refreshing and helps you sleep like a baby. Join some club, i.e aerobics, zumba etc

and more important never hesitate to ask for help, if you struggle to fight this battle by yourself find someone that will help you to stay motivate, you may ask for proffessional help, or simply talk to your close friends and always share how you feel. there's always someone who will pick the right words for you and help you to get out of depression and look forward to feeling great.

Best of luck for you:)