Homemade Powder Laundry Detergent

Options
songbyrdsweet
songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
I made this today and it smells great! Everything can be found in the laundry detergent aisle.

2 cups Borax
2 cups Washing Soda
1/2 cup Oxiclean
1 bar laundry soap or Ivory (or comparable simple bar of soap, I had to get the Dove white bar because other soap irritates my skin)
2 cups Purex crystals (or comparable crystal laundry softener...I got the kind for baby clothes. This stuff is optional.)

Grate the bar of soap or smash it with a hammer until your food processor can handle it and process until it's in tiny pieces that will mix with the other powders. Use 1-2 tbsp per load.

All the ingredients cost me $15. One batch makes 1 gallon of powder. With another $2 bar of soap I have enough to make another gallon with Purex crystals. These are the limiting ingredients. I have enough Oxiclean and other stuff to probably make 3 more gallons.

Replies

• 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Awesome for those with allergies.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    This is awesome, thanks!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Great recipe! How many calories per serving?
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have been making my own laundry detergent for about 6 months now and I love how easy it is to make and how much money I save!!!
  • Twilightsunflower
    Twilightsunflower Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    sweet! and great timing too!!
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options

lol
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

:laugh:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    The stuff I buy costs less than $5, and does 64 loads. So, for the same $15, I can wash 192 loads, and not hassle with making it myself. I believe strongly in the division of labor. But, it's cool to do for fun. And, it's easy.

My one gallon holds 256 tablespoons...so for $17 I can actually wash 612 loads (or 306 if I want to use 2 tbsp per load) and it took literally 5 minutes.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    The stuff I buy costs less than $5, and does 64 loads. So, for the same $15, I can wash 192 loads, and not hassle with making it myself. I believe strongly in the division of labor. But, it's cool to do for fun. And, it's easy.

My one gallon holds 256 tablespoons...so for $17 I can actually wash 612 loads (or 306 if I want to use 2 tbsp per load) and it took literally 5 minutes.

I hate you!

Haha...well I have so much extra, I could send you some when you run out wayyy before me! :wink:
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    Bump