When you've already messed up by 11 am...

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Here's what I would do: when you go out with your friends, make up for your big breakfast by drinking Bud Light. No, do it. I mean it. Really, do it. I guarantee, you'll never overeat on a drinking-with-friends day again.
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    I'm a big fan of "You can only control the NOW". Forgive yourself, and don't just give up for the rest of the day. Eat like you would if you had done well, so you don't punish yourself and get even more hungry later. Be careful with drinks - alcohol can bring your ability to say no to it's knees. Nothing like a beer and fries, or nachos with tequilla!
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Try to eat healthy the rest of the day. Past is prologue.
    So your day total will be higher than your target. let it go.

Please learn from this experience. Why are you going over your targets ?

You need to understand, accept and remediate.

I wish you luck in your journey to health

This.

People (I think mostly ladies), we have to stop beating ourselves up and thinking we've failed just because we backslid a little! Think about it as correction - we are correcting behaviors that we've had for years. When your kids or pet gets out of line, what do you do? You correct them and get them back on track as quickly as possible. Do the same for yourself. You are worth the effort!!!!!!!
  • kevinjb1
    kevinjb1 Posts: 233 Member
    Drinking on an empty stomach is a really bad idea. One bad meal won't ruin your goals, and being over your calorie goal for today won't ruin it either.

But getting sick off drinking on an empty stomach or making a bad food choice after you've had a couple will make you feel even worse tomorrow.

Better to get a 30 minute exercise in and be a little late for drinks than to beat yourself up about your calorie goals. Your friends will understand.
  • If you can't reschedule drinks with your friend, I would definitely recommend sticking to water or club soda with lime (my personal favorite). I agree with previous posters that you still have to be able to live your life, but also think life is about choices - and you have to limit the indulgences to be successful at losing weight, as sad as it is. (I'm not being sarcastic, it IS SAD!) The idea isn't "punishment", it's learning self control and making up for an indulgence later in the day.

Separately, I don't let myself indulge in the morning unless I have the entire rest of my day planned around it, because it's so hard to stay on track the rest of the day. But that doesn't work for everyone. Each person has his/her own way of doing this healthy living thing, just find what works for YOU!
  • I like most of the advice offered above, minus the inevitable rude comment tossed in. I am a breakfast person, so I can relate to this! Especially if I've already eaten breakfast & then someone in the office brings donuts! What I've learned along the way is that this is a lifestyle for me, so I allow myself to live and enjoy foods I like (and yes, also drinks with friends for sure!) :drinker: . I strive to do this in moderation, but sometimes I go overboard, just like everyone else! A couple tricks I've figured out that work for me:

In your settings, you can name meals...I have five, sometimes six meals a day (breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, and evening snack. Sometimes a morning snack even!) This helps keep me from getting too hungry and I feel better if I keep my body fueled this way throughout the day. I take my calorie goal and divide, and know how many cals I can have for each meal, and how much I should have around a certain time...it helps me to "budget" my cals throughout the day. So let's say I had breakfast and then donuts and consumed a ton of cals for breakfast. I would look at my numbers and adjust my goals for my other meals (I've been pre-logging more and more these days, however, I'll sometimes deviate from my plan, but I think it's still good to help plan). Like the others above me said, I'd make sure to drink enough water and would eat a lot of fruit and veggies for the rest of the day, since they're the lowest in calories and will still fill you up. I'd also concentrate on eating lean protein.

I have a standby meal that I'll have for supper when I've screwed up for the day because it's low in calories and filling...I make an omelet with 10 T egg whites, 1 c chopped spinach, 1/3 c 2 % sharp cheddar, and salsa.

Other filling and low calorie meal/snack ideas-100 cal bags of popcorn, vegetable soup (I like Progresso Minestrone), and oatmeal. Hope this helps. Just move on and don't beat yourself up!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    If my BMR is 1850 calories but i'm eating 1300 calories a day and i spent 1000 on breakfast, i would just eat up until about 1800 calories. Then you're not going to gain weight by over eating and you still get to eat! x

I do hope you mean your TDEE is 1850, and not your BMR.
    Eating 500+ calories under your BMR every day is unhealthy
    however eating 500+ under your TDEE is ok, as long as its OVER your BMR.

with this correction though, you are right, eating up to your TDEE is like eating at maintenance, no deficit, but no surplus either.
  • dazygrl02
    dazygrl02 Posts: 10 Member
    If I mess up, I move calories to the next few days so that I still get to eat (or I become hellishly grouchy) and basically work with a weekly deficit rather than a daily one. It makes me less frustrated and it helps me not give up.
  • It's 4:20 EST...

I'm dying to find out how this turned out! Did she walk to the bar??? Did she eat a bag of lettuce??? Did she drink club soda and have dinner??? Or did she get the pheuckeets and get loaded???

Can't wait... coming back after 9pm to get the update!!!

Take the walk!!! If you get loaded just keep coming back!!!
  • CandyMouse
    CandyMouse Posts: 22 Member
    :smile: Here is what I TRY to do.. I do not always succeed. After really messing up...I look nat the hours remaining in the day till bed time annd allow myself about 100 calories or 2 points per hour divided thru the day. Yes, I am still 'over' at the end of the day..but I took control..for the remainder of the day
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Go for a walk or do a big workout.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Today I overate at breakfast / morning snack and that leaves me a fairly small calorie amount for the rest of the day.

Just curious for any advice on how people try to fix their days when they've already messed up early on. I've gotta resist just giving in and saying "oh well, it was a bad day, might as well eat whatever I want"!

I don't have time to work out today since I'm grabbing drinks with friends later. So far my only plan is to distract my taste buds with tea and gum, and trying to have veggies at dinnertime...

If I do that I try to have fruits and veggies the rest of the day or I will take a little off of my calorie alottment for the next few days and eat up to that amount.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    u exercise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Today I overate at breakfast / morning snack and that leaves me a fairly small calorie amount for the rest of the day.

Just curious for any advice on how people try to fix their days when they've already messed up early on. I've gotta resist just giving in and saying "oh well, it was a bad day, might as well eat whatever I want"!

I don't have time to work out today since I'm grabbing drinks with friends later. So far my only plan is to distract my taste buds with tea and gum, and trying to have veggies at dinnertime...

As long as you know what's important to you. That's what counts.

I was going to say the same time ...if going out drinking with friends is more important to you then more power to you, but IMO you have your priorities backwards...good luck though ...

I look forward to your motivational thread "help, I am gaining!"
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    grabbing drinks is more caleries.......................
    exercise......................
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member

When you meet your friends, instead of alcoholic drinks, drink mineral water or diet soda. Is it about the friends or the alcohol?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member

Just take the next day as it is, a new day. I did the same thing yesterday, finding that once again, I should not bake despite my love for it. You can see it in my diary that I ate five of the brownies I made... the rest of them. It destroyed my day. But that day ended and today I've been great. Good luck getting to that next great day and not letting the 'bad' ones get you down.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member

That's a bit rude... Do you know OP or the reasoning behind that statement? Maybe she exercises every day, but today she has friends coming from out of town that she hasn't seen in years and has only 1 day to see them. Maybe it's a one-time thing. Don't get up on a soapbox just because you've lost a ton of weight and others struggle.

Interesting that you took text that has zero emotion and added your own. One little sentence and now there's a soapbox?

No where in that statement was there judging or lectures or anything of that nature...as long as the OP knows what's important, that's what counts. Maybe the statement meant that meeting with friends is important or that living life is important. Of course, if one were to add more to that statement that happened to be judgmental, it would be along the lines of, fine, don't work out and go see your friends, but it would probably be best if you didn't have drinks and just ordered water. But, the fact of the matter is, none of that was said or even implied.

Ironically, I find your comment rude and judgmental.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member

haha awesome

I don't understand. Friends are important too...one workout skipped never killed anybody.
    I concur with this last statement. IT FIRES ME UP to hear that people think she shouldnt have a good time with friends on occasion. I am a FIRM Believer in enjoying life. I am also a firm believer in paying the price so get your bootay out there, enjoy your night and then bust your B's to make up for it for a couple of days.
    People are ridiculous. vanity is a B***CH.

Ironically enough, I'm the type of person who enjoys living life and NOT paying any price for enjoying myself the next day, because I know one night or even one week isn't going to matter in the long run. So you go ahead and bust that bootay the next day while I kick back and go on about my normal routine...which includes not getting fired up from what I read on the internet. :flowerforyou:
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    focus on weekly goal instead of daily! Allows you to be more flexible :D