Oatmeal??

Options
How much oatmeal is supposed to be enough for you? what is too much. Serving size say half a cup uncooked... So what do you all sugguest?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I eat 1/2 c (uncooked) as a serving for breakfast. Obviously I don't eat it dry, I mean I take the 1/2 c and cook it :wink:
  • Callistospiritor
    Options
    Yay! Alright than! That's what I had for my breakfast instead of my usual serving of crisp rice cereal.... D: Oatmeal is much more filling! Also... what kind of add ins would people add into their food.
  • mjculbertson4512
    mjculbertson4512 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I cook mine in 1 cup skim milk. Add a bannana and 6 almonds, 353 calories for Breakfast! Small amounts of fruit, nuts, nut butters, cinnamon, pureed pumkin to make a sweet version. My tummy doesn't go for savory/spicey in the am. But that could be a way to go too.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I usually add a little pure maple syrup for sweetness, then I will do different combs:

Raisins, cinnamon, chopped up apple (if I have one on hand)

Handful of berries, chopped walnuts

Big spoonful of canned pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg (essentially pumpkin pie spice)

banana and chopped walnuts
  • mnojo
    mnojo Posts: 6
    Options
    I use steel cut oats and love the flavor just like it is - nutty tasting :) But I usually add a little bit milk and vanilla protein powder.:smile:
  • Callistospiritor
    Options
    Hmmm That's a good idea! Thanks!

See I am on a very small calorie intake 1220.... That's not a lot... So I essentially have either 244 for five smaller meals or 406 three meals a day no snacks. But dinner run 400 or 500..... So I am looking for like ideas and such for super low calorie foods. D:
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    i eat 2 servings which totals 1 cup dry or 80 grams. takes a lot to keep me full
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

See I am on a very small calorie intake 1220.... That's not a lot... So I essentially have either 244 for five smaller meals or 406 three meals a day no snacks. But dinner run 400 or 500..... So I am looking for like ideas and such for super low calorie foods. D:

Why so few calories?
  • stines72
    Options

why are you only eating 1220 calories? are you 3 foot 11?
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I like steel cut oats, add cinnamon, small amount of chopped nuts, 1 Tbsp of dried cranberries or raisins.
  • Datahorde
    Datahorde Posts: 154
    Options
    1 packet of Stevia + Cinnamon, -or- 1 scoop vanilla whey + dried cranberries or dried blueberries, -or- cut up a banana + few drops vanilla
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    After seeing it in a friends food diary I added peanut butter and sliced banana to my oatmeal this morning! Yum!

Karen
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I eat 1/3 c oatmeal, cooked in water and cinnamon. I then add a splash of unsweetened almond milk, 1/2 scoop vanilla whey protein and 1 tblsp dried blueberries. Fills me up!
  • Callistospiritor
    Options
    So Few calories is because most of my day i am generally immobile. I do not need much I don't think. Plus with health reasons I can exercise very little. So my calorie count is resembling that. :O Just so very hard. So thanks for ideas on the oatmeal! Believe me I need the help with find the foods. D:
  • stines72
    Options
    So Few calories is because most of my day i am generally immobile. I do not need much I don't think. Plus with health reasons I can exercise very little. So my calorie count is resembling that. :O Just so very hard. So thanks for ideas on the oatmeal! Believe me I need the help with find the foods. D:

do this:
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

enlighten yourself :) you CAN eat more and lose weight! (and SHOULD)
    pick the "enter activity level" option and select sedentary from the list.
  • apothecarist
    Options
    I use 1/2 cup uncooked oatmeal, mix in 1/2 small banana, and a splash of almond milk.
    I also had some bulgur wheat the other day and it's a great sub for the oatmeal.
  • SPeffer1
    SPeffer1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Oh my I love oatmeal. I usually make steel cut oats in a crock pot so that I have enough for the week. I THINK it says on the container that it's 1/4 cup dry for a serving (I just know it's one scoop). I add that, water, and some cinnamon and let it cook. Then I divy it up into individual dishes and every morning I mircowave that with a half banana (frozen) and it is so incredibly good.

I get 1400 calories approx a day unless I work out - then I eat those calories too. I'm just about 5'3" and 105, and that's what mfp gives me for a relatively sedantary job (that I'm not even doing at the moment since I'm on here) . I checked on the other website and it gave me just about the same.