Lymph Massage

Options
13»

Replies

• HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    You may want to tone down the sarcasm. It's rude. People are just giving their thoughts on it.

And you did ask if it helps with weight loss. Just sayin'.

Yeah that was a part of my post, but come on... I realize lowering calories and burning more causes weight loss. I was directing this post to people who know anything about lymph massage, since I do not know anything about it.

no, you were looking for people to tell you what you wanted to hear... that lymph massage was a way for you to lose weight... and when the TRUTH was told, you didnt like it. if you want a massage, go for it...but a lymph massage will do nothing to make you lose one single ounce.... it is for people with lymphodema...
    and if that is the case, it will likely be a LOT cheaper than $70 because insurance will pay for it....

wanna release toxins?? drink a gallon of water & proceed to sit on the toilet...
  • kt_731
    kt_731 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You may want to tone down the sarcasm. It's rude. People are just giving their thoughts on it.

And you did ask if it helps with weight loss. Just sayin'.

Yeah that was a part of my post, but come on... I realize lowering calories and burning more causes weight loss. I was directing this post to people who know anything about lymph massage, since I do not know anything about it.

no, you were looking for people to tell you what you wanted to hear... that lymph massage was a way for you to lose weight... and when the TRUTH was told, you didnt like it...SUCK IT UP!!! if you want a massage, go for it...but a lymph massage will do nothing to make you lose one single ounce.... it is for people with lymphodema...
    and if that is the case, it will likely be a LOT cheaper than $70 because insurance will pay for it....

wanna release toxins?? drink a gallon of water & proceed to sit on the toilet...

Wow, another person who thinks they know everything. Thanks for the great advice. And this is why I barely ever post on here. Didn't plan on this being a battle, just actually had a very simple question.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options

Actually, it does help with that.

The lymphatic system collects and transports a variety of bacterial antigens and is part of the inflammatory response to infection or disease. When engorged and either the transport is reduced (immobile patients, for example) or volumes are high, a massage can help with lymph transport and macrophage waste removal. This waste is, in a large sense, toxins from self and foreign biological bodies and its transport for excretion is part of the normal body function.

If your lymphatic system works well you don't need a massage. It feels nice.

Oh, and in general it's a bunch of hokum.

I could drop science on the lymph system all day. Got plenty of that in med school. It's the general "rid my body of ToXInzZ" fad that I roll my eyes at.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    The only thing that helps with weight loss is eating less calories than you burn. The massage may feel good, but will not help with weight loss at all.

Okay, thanks for the amazing tip. I will probably lose tons of weight just from reading this. I was trying to see if anyone had any real benefit from lymph massage and if anything I read had any truth to it.

You specifically asked if it affected weight loss. You got your question answered. Don't want a straightforward answer, don't ask a question whose answer is so glaringly obvious.
  • babola123
    babola123 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster who said that it feels great. I'm not a scientist or a doctor, but I AM an expert in what feels good. The one time I had a great lymphatic massage I remember saying to myself during it, "this is a bunch of bunk. She is barely touching me and I don't feel anything." Then I stood up after 90 minutes. It was like I was in a dream, I was so relaxed. My friend and I (she had the same massage at the same time in another room) left the place and walked around NYC in a cloud, barely talking, we were both so relaxed and yet everything seemed to be in hyper focus. Very amazing feeling. May not help with weight loss in and of itself, but it could make you feel so good that you don't want to do anything to jeopardize it by deviating from "plan." I will also point out, at the risk of being crude, that my friend said she was "dumping toxins" all weekend at an increased rate. Forgive me, but it's true, and I'm sure that was beneficial to the number on the scale, but perhaps it can't really be characterized as "weight loss." Your original question has been interpreted as a straight "will it make me lose weight," which I think is a very linear way of looking at it. I get what you are asking, and the answer I think requires something other than linear thinking. Of course you already know a massage won't make you lose weight, but in my opinion it can be a handy tool to have in the arsenal to keep you feeling good and on track. A lot does depend on the therapist, though.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    There is a place up the road that offers a lymph massage for $70 for an hour. Has anyone had one of these? Is it worth the money? Does it help with weight loss/cellulite?

:happy:
    Lol, for men this would be called the Happy Ending massage.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kt_731
    kt_731 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster who said that it feels great. I'm not a scientist or a doctor, but I AM an expert in what feels good. The one time I had a great lymphatic massage I remember saying to myself during it, "this is a bunch of bunk. She is barely touching me and I don't feel anything." Then I stood up after 90 minutes. It was like I was in a dream, I was so relaxed. My friend and I (she had the same massage at the same time in another room) left the place and walked around NYC in a cloud, barely talking, we were both so relaxed and yet everything seemed to be in hyper focus. Very amazing feeling. May not help with weight loss in and of itself, but it could make you feel so good that you don't want to do anything to jeopardize it by deviating from "plan." I will also point out, at the risk of being crude, that my friend said she was "dumping toxins" all weekend at an increased rate. Forgive me, but it's true, and I'm sure that was beneficial to the number on the scale, but perhaps it can't really be characterized as "weight loss." Your original question has been interpreted as a straight "will it make me lose weight," which I think is a very linear way of looking at it. I get what you are asking, and the answer I think requires something other than linear thinking. Of course you already know a massage won't make you lose weight, but in my opinion it can be a handy tool to have in the arsenal to keep you feeling good and on track. A lot does depend on the therapist, though.

Thats so awesome that you guys felt so good afterwards. I am glad that you can see where I am coming from. Maybe I will give it a try! I guess it couldn't hurt. Thanks for sharing! :-)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    A massage that helps you lose weight or cellulite? My, uneducated, guess is that it's probably a waste of money.

Its not just for weight loss. I'm reading that is has a lot of benefits. Some random sites are showing help with weight around your stomach and with cellulite. Which I thought sounded like BS, hence the reason I posted this. Thanks, but no thanks for your uneducated guess.
    Your intuition is correct. A massage is going to do absolutely nothing for weight loss, belly fat or cellulite.
  • arlenedinsmore
    Options
    I do suffer from lymphedema and I had my first Myoak facial cranial massage with lymphatic drainage done on Monday I am speaking this so pardon the spelling I can tell you I have lost 6 pounds of fluid since the massage on Monday I go tomorrow for an additional treatment,, this might not feel like it's worth anything while you're getting it done but it's worth all the money in the world to someone like me I am paying $60 per hour and she does it in half hour increments. I'm sorry that people are being so crude when you were just asking a question from something that you read on a sign.