Keep your chicken carcasses!

Options
songbyrdsweet
songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
If you have leftovers from a chicken, make broth.

1 chicken carcass
1 package Lipton onion soup/dip mix

Cover the chicken remains with water in a big pot and add the soup packet. Simmer for an hour. Dump everything out into a strainer over a really big bowl. Put the bowl in the fridge until the fat hardens at the top of the broth and skim that off. Now add salt if you want.

I portion mine into 4-oz tupperware and freeze them. I used the broth to cook all my grains and it's way better than water! This broth is the almost fat-free kind because you skim that off the top.

Replies

• chileheadmike
    chileheadmike Posts: 78 Member
    Options

1 chicken carcass

Cover the chicken remains with water in a big pot and add the soup packet. Simmer for an hour. Dump everything out into a strainer over a really big bowl. Put the bowl in the fridge until the fat hardens at the top of the broth and skim that off. Now add salt if you want.

I portion mine into 4-oz tupperware and freeze them. I used the broth to cook all my grains and it's way better than water! This broth is the almost fat-free kind because you skim that off the top.

I've been doing this for years, sans the soup mix. Some cut up onion, celery, and carrot work well. Along with some whole pepper corns and a bay leaf or two.
  • nashsheri33
    nashsheri33 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    yes it's good to make "stock" i was using it when I was sick.

Stock = bones
    broth = meat

thanks, i always wondered about the difference!

what do i call it if i use bones AND meat?
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, I can't imagine how people stand this. Simmering bones tastes so nasty to me. I can't even stand the taste of chicken after it's been sitting on the bone for a day, and turkey is much worse - it tastes horrible if it's been sitting on the bone for even a few hours.
  • tjs616
    tjs616 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

1 chicken carcass

I've been doing this for years, sans the soup mix. Some cut up onion, celery, and carrot work well. Along with some whole pepper corns and a bay leaf or two.

This is how I do it too except I only chop the veggies in half before they go in. So easy and so good!
  • fitgal05
    fitgal05 Posts: 149
    Options
    Or just boil it with veggies, you can even make a Asian noodle soup or whatever
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, I can't imagine how people stand this. Simmering bones tastes so nasty to me. I can't even stand the taste of chicken after it's been sitting on the bone for a day, and turkey is much worse - it tastes horrible if it's been sitting on the bone for even a few hours.

thats weird
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

1 chicken carcass

Yup, veggies would be even better. I don't have very good cutting skills at the moment with my hand in a splint hehe :)
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options

Stock = bones
    broth = meat

Brock
  • HoosierBecky
    HoosierBecky Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'll have to remember this next time I cook chicken.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

Really.... something as ubiquitous as BROTH and soup and you "can't imagine" how people eat it?
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

I generally take all the meat off the day I buy the chicken and freeze it, then boil the bones. This time I was just too busy so I ate some of the meat and then just froze the whole chicken until I could deal with it lol...ended up boiling the entire thing and then taking the meat off after I strained off the stock/broth. It's not good to leave the meat on the bone more than a day anyway according to my stepmom. :) I don't eat the simmered bones though...??
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

I can't believe that I've been throwing away the bones and buying stock all these years! I feel like ninny. I forgot to salt the last batch but I will add some this time. It still imparts a nice flavor onto any grain.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options

Do you ever eat soup? That's how stock is made, whether it's from a can, in a restaurant or homemade.
  • chileheadmike
    chileheadmike Posts: 78 Member
    Options

I can't believe that I've been throwing away the bones and buying stock all these years! I feel like ninny. I forgot to salt the last batch but I will add some this time. It still imparts a nice flavor onto any grain.

I never salt my stock until I'm ready to use it. Most of the time when I make it, I don't know what it's going into or how much I'm going to reduce it. Which is another reason to avoid the soup mix.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    They say a good bone broth can raise the dead! I don't use soup mix but I do a mix of bones and meat simmered for min 12hrs with carrot, celery and onion. Once it's all boiled I also make a great cold meat salad with oil, vinegar, salt n pepper, green onions and balsamic.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options

Stock = bones
    broth = meat

Brock

Or stoth
  • waltonkm
    waltonkm Posts: 1
    Options
    Try putting in a WHOLE brown onion with the skin and everything on. I just rinse off the outside before I put it in. I learned this from a Jewish cookbook and it turns out so delicious! I live in the Southwest now so it's the closest I'll get to East Coast Jewish chicken soup, which my mom refers to as Jewish penicillin because its great when you're sick!
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options

thats weird

My thoughts exactly... That is weird.
  • cblwolf
    cblwolf Posts: 5
    Options
    I keep a quart-sized Ziploc bag in the freezer and put cleaned veggie "discards" in it: onion skins (which impart a lovely hue to the stock), the end of the onion (I don't usually keep the root end, since it can be somewhat dirty), bottoms and small middle part of celery, carrot peels or thoroughly cleaned tops, garlic tops (I usually grate my garlic, so there is generally a small piece leftover), Portobello mushroom stems, etc.

I call them my Stock Bits. Whenever I have a chicken carcass, I have veggies ready to flavor the stock!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I keep a quart-sized Ziploc bag in the freezer and put cleaned veggie "discards" in it: onion skins, the end of the onion (I don't usually keep the root end, since it can be somewhat dirty), bottoms and small middle part of celery, carrot peels or thoroughly cleaned tops, garlic tops (I usually grate my garlic, so there is generally a small piece leftover), Portobello mushroom stems, etc.

I call them my Stock Bits. Whenever I have a chicken carcass, I have veggies ready to flavor the stock!

AMAZING!! Such an awesome idea :D I'm stealing it!