What do you do when you feel soooo hungry?

Options
I am on day 3 of my diet and exercise regimen and the only thing bothering me is that I am so (at least I think I am) hungry! I want to eat eat eat until I am full! I am drinking more than eight glasses of water a day (and my one glass is like a litre). I can eat raw veggies and fruits til the cows come home but they never fill me up. I try exercising when I get too hungry but nothing seems to take my mind off of it.

WHat do you do instead of eating when you get hungry?

Will the hunger ever fade? Are skinny people always hungry?!

Replies

• ac_boubou
    ac_boubou Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I found the first days more difficult. Be sure you eat properly, like proteins at every meal. You said that you already drink water, so maybe take a walk, do something else to change your mind. If anything change after 20 minutes and it get worse than maybe you can get a snack (apple with 1 oz of cheese or a handfull nuts, 100g of yogourt...) Actually I like greek yogourt because they have higher proteins in. Make sure you don't get in starvation.

Just don't give up, it will get better with time.
  • k_saenz
    k_saenz Posts: 126
    Options
    I had the opposite happen, when I first started I was fine with the food I ate and was never super hungry and now going into my 4th month I feel like I'm starving all the time! It sucks.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Eat more filling foods, high in fiber, eat more protein. Chew some sugar free gum (helps give your mouth something to do). Down some ice cold water :)
  • AJL437
    AJL437 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Lots and lots of protein so you do feel fuller. Give yourself time to feel full. I think it takes 20 minutes for your stomach to send your brain a message you are full. If I really feel hungry after eating, I will set a timer for 20 minutes. If in 20 minutes, I am still hungry, then I'll have some protein. Repeat until I am no longer hungry.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I know they are pure chemicals, but if you need to eat something, eat a couple sugar free popsicles- 15 cals each!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I eat real food, calorie and nutrient dense food. Protein, nuts, eggs, fruits, grain.

Is your food diary accurate for today? If it is, no wonder you are hungry.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I peaked at your food diary for today and I'm not surprised you're hungry ;) ~ only strawberries for breakfast wouldn't fill me either. And only 1 oz of chicken for lunch neither. Personally I'd have chosen more chicken and no bread. Often lunch for me I make a huge bowl of salad, top with at least 4 oz of chicken, maybe some cheese too, and a low cal dressing. Sometimes I top it with a poached egg, yum! I use Bolthouse Farms salad dressings, only 35-45 for 2 tbls. I was surprised how filling I find that type meal. I used to pig out on high carb foods and I was always hungry. Meat, eggs, & cheese fill me much better.

Good luck!

PS If you check out my diary, go back a few days ~ I had oral surgery yesterday and not eating my norm ;)
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Fiber :)
  • Oriole15
    Oriole15 Posts: 58
    Options
    Is your diary for today accurate? If it is you are hungry because you are not eating.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I like to eat some steamed carrots. A whole bag of the frozen ones from kroger will fill you for several hours for around 140 cal.
  • marissastephens13
    Options
    You should try Arctic Zero. The entire pint is 150 cals. The coffee flavor is my favorite. Just heat it in the microwave about 30 seconds, so it's soft. You can find it with the ice cream. Helps me out a lot!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Try logging all of your food for a week - make sure you are eating enough calories and getting lots of protein and fiber!

Once you have some baseline data, it's easy to see where you can make improvements.

Good luck :)
  • Amie_Girl
    Amie_Girl Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • Summer_Lunatic
    Summer_Lunatic Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Cue the negative calorie food discussion
  • Biglossbiggerdreams
    Options
    Be very careful. Half way through the day you should be way further than 200 calories. It sounds backwards, but you do need to eat in order to lose. Try eating very lean meats and things with lots of fiber in them; feel free to check out my food diary for ideas.

I often have a "shake" with blended spinach, broccoli, carrots and a banana (often times with cold-milled flax seed) for lunch with my magic bullet. Since I am not juicing it, I still get the fiber that keeps me satisfied for hours. For my lunch break today, I drank ~32oz of that and walked 4 miles happily and I still feel ok.

Also a (small) handful of dry roasted, unsalted peanuts is a good snack. It's packed with protein and is roughly 170cals.
  • Amie_Girl
    Options
    I eat real food, calorie and nutrient dense food. Protein, nuts, eggs, fruits, grain.

Is your food diary accurate for today? If it is, no wonder you are hungry.

It is. I am still working on the sandwich. I feel guilty to eat more than 100 calories at a time.
  • Amie_Girl
    Options
    Be very careful. Half way through the day you should be way further than 200 calories. It sounds backwards, but you do need to eat in order to lose. Try eating very lean meats and things with lots of fiber in them; feel free to check out my food diary for ideas.

I often have a "shake" with blended spinach, broccoli, carrots and a banana (often times with cold-milled flax seed) for lunch with my magic bullet. Since I am not juicing it, I still get the fiber that keeps me satisfied for hours. For my lunch break today, I drank ~32oz of that and walked 4 miles happily and I still feel ok.

Also a (small) handful of dry roasted, unsalted peanuts is a good snack. It's packed with protein and is roughly 170cals.

170cal?!?! That's insane! How can I lose weight eating that? I only burn about 700 - 800 calories a day with my exercise.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You've got 2341 calories left to eat today. Of course you're hungry. You'll always be hungry unless you eat. There is no way around this, it's how the human body functions.

Skinny people that eat reasonably are not hungry - no one can sustain intentionally being hungry long-term. Humans inherently avoid suffering, after all. If you have mental problems regarding eating 100 calories at a time, see a shrink or a doctor.
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Guilt is your enemy in this. Don't feel guilty, you NEED food!

The biggest thing is breakfast. You want plenty of protein, some fiber, and some fat. I'm a big fan of eggs with veggies for breakfast.

I break my meals up into 300 calories each. If you're aiming for 1700 calories (like your diary says) then you get 5 300 calorie meals plus 200 calories worth of snacks, more if you exercise!

Believe me, 1700 calories is a lot more food than you think if you are picking healthier options.

Also, if you go over, don't worry! Going a little over won't hurt you, use it as motivation to get in some exercise to work it off.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    170cal?!?! That's insane! How can I lose weight eating that? I only burn about 700 - 800 calories a day with my exercise.

Burning 700-800 calories a day is great first of all. Second of all, you need to EAT if you are burning that much. 170 calories is not a lot at all, and neither is 100, so never feel guilty about eating over that.
    You need to stop thinking this way before you make yourself anorexic.

EDIT- Your daily goal is 600 calories a day? That is beyond unhealthy. You need to eat hun, if you keep going about it like this you're going to end up in the hospital.