What do you do when you feel soooo hungry?

Options

Replies

• smitty328
    smitty328 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I eat real food, calorie and nutrient dense food. Protein, nuts, eggs, fruits, grain.

Is your food diary accurate for today? If it is, no wonder you are hungry.

It is. I am still working on the sandwich. I feel guilty to eat more than 100 calories at a time.

Eat girl!!!!!
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Be very careful. Half way through the day you should be way further than 200 calories. It sounds backwards, but you do need to eat in order to lose. Try eating very lean meats and things with lots of fiber in them; feel free to check out my food diary for ideas.

I often have a "shake" with blended spinach, broccoli, carrots and a banana (often times with cold-milled flax seed) for lunch with my magic bullet. Since I am not juicing it, I still get the fiber that keeps me satisfied for hours. For my lunch break today, I drank ~32oz of that and walked 4 miles happily and I still feel ok.

Also a (small) handful of dry roasted, unsalted peanuts is a good snack. It's packed with protein and is roughly 170cals.

170cal?!?! That's insane! How can I lose weight eating that? I only burn about 700 - 800 calories a day with my exercise.

Well, you should only have a 1000 calorie deficit INCLUDING your exercise. If you exercise more you can eat more and still lose weight. That's a lot of calories to be burning.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    If your profile pic is an indication of your weight, I'm assuming you are over 200lbs? You should be eating 2000 calories+ not the low teens that you've been eating. That's why you're hungry.

I'm 210, 5'6" and I eat 1950/day and lose 1lb/week or so just to give you an idea.
  • Biglossbiggerdreams
    Options
    170cal?!?! That's insane! How can I lose weight eating that? I only burn about 700 - 800 calories a day with my exercise.

You have to remember you don't only lose weight when you are "exercising." You burn a lot of calories just simply to moving around through the day and existing. I'm no fitness expert, but, I can tell you that over the last month or so I've lost almost 18lbs and really not done much other than walking every day for a few miles and trying to stick to around 1300 calories.
  • Amie_Girl
    Amie_Girl Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Guilt is your enemy in this. Don't feel guilty, you NEED food!

The biggest thing is breakfast. You want plenty of protein, some fiber, and some fat. I'm a big fan of eggs with veggies for breakfast.

I break my meals up into 300 calories each. If you're aiming for 1700 calories (like your diary says) then you get 5 300 calorie meals plus 200 calories worth of snacks, more if you exercise!

Believe me, 1700 calories is a lot more food than you think if you are picking healthier options.

Also, if you go over, don't worry! Going a little over won't hurt you, use it as motivation to get in some exercise to work it off.

I saw the cholesterol in one egg was 65% of my daily. That's just too much. I changed my diary. They gave me a set of calorie limits. I don't want to go anywhere near 1700. I put it to 600. That way I would have 200 per meal. (I don't snack, never did) I will definitely up my intake for breakfast though. Thanks!
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    add foods that are high in protein and fiber, this should help and maybe eat your excerise calories back too if you have not been doing it already.
  • sailawaykate
    Options
    I eat real food, calorie and nutrient dense food. Protein, nuts, eggs, fruits, grain.

Is your food diary accurate for today? If it is, no wonder you are hungry.

It is. I am still working on the sandwich. I feel guilty to eat more than 100 calories at a time.

Girl you have to eat! Your body needs fuel to perform its daily functions! I have an open diary - my net goal is about 1500-1700, in bursts of 300-500 calories. Just depends on whether I'm feeling extra hungry from exercise. When you eat whole foods, you'd be surprised at just how much you have to eat to hit your goals sometimes, especially with extra exercise!

Note: I still eat bad food sometimes (like yesterday's enormous cupcake from a volunteer at work, lol), I've just stopped feeling bad about it and don't make it an everyday habit.

Source: Lost 20+ pounds and still eat like a horse (just a healthy horse, I guess if I'm committing to that metaphor)
  • jivitasa
    jivitasa Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Do you really want advice? Everyone here is giving it... eat. Eat filling food and you won't be hungry. If you think 170 calories is too much, you really need to do some research. Not trying to be rude, but you are only on day 3. Experiences like this make people give up because it is miserable and impossible to sustain. You probably feel like crap too. Reevaluate your approach for success.
  • Etienne54
    Etienne54 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Like most suggested,

#1 choice would be lots of fiber, from veggies/fruits/grains

#2 Protein, atleast during lunch and dinner or during a snack (Peanut butter sandwich(Whole grain bread)

#3 Fat, healthy source of fat, yogourt, olive oil, nuts, coconut oil, sesame oil, are those that I consume.

#4 Water.

You're not the only one who feels hungry after a meal, it's normal. It's part of the journey.
  • Amie_Girl
    Options

You have to remember you don't only lose weight when you are "exercising." You burn a lot of calories just simply to moving around through the day and existing. I'm no fitness expert, but, I can tell you that over the last month or so I've lost almost 18lbs and really not done much other than walking every day for a few miles and trying to stick to around 1300 calories.

That sounds more like the speed with which I would like to lose weight. I might need to up my calorie intake. Thanks!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

The biggest thing is breakfast. You want plenty of protein, some fiber, and some fat. I'm a big fan of eggs with veggies for breakfast.

I break my meals up into 300 calories each. If you're aiming for 1700 calories (like your diary says) then you get 5 300 calorie meals plus 200 calories worth of snacks, more if you exercise!

Believe me, 1700 calories is a lot more food than you think if you are picking healthier options.

Also, if you go over, don't worry! Going a little over won't hurt you, use it as motivation to get in some exercise to work it off.

I saw the cholesterol in one egg was 65% of my daily. That's just too much. I changed my diary. They gave me a set of calorie limits. I don't want to go anywhere near 1700. I put it to 600. That way I would have 200 per meal. (I don't snack, never did) I will definitely up my intake for breakfast though. Thanks!

Please do some research before you hurt yourself. 600 calories a day is foolish for anyone. Even doubling that would be too little for you. Follow the MFP guidelines for a month and monitor your results. What's the point of even using this site if you're just going to ignore the guidelines and starve yourself to death?
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    weren't you eating until you're full the other times you ate?
  • Amie_Girl
    Options
    Like most suggested,

#1 choice would be lots of fiber, from veggies/fruits/grains

#2 Protein, atleast during lunch and dinner or during a snack (Peanut butter sandwich(Whole grain bread)

#3 Fat, healthy source of fat, yogourt, olive oil, nuts, coconut oil, sesame oil, are those that I consume.

#4 Water.

You're not the only one who feels hungry after a meal, it's normal. It's part of the journey.

Thanks. I guess I don't really know what I'm doing. I just figured the less I eat, the more I would lose.
  • Amie_Girl
    Options

Please do some research before you hurt yourself. 600 calories a day is foolish for anyone. Even doubling that would be too little for you. Follow the MFP guidelines for a month and monitor your results. What's the point of even using this site if you're just going to ignore the guidelines and starve yourself to death?

I read a lot of other people on here lowered their calorie intake because the site was setting it too high.
  • katy_trail
    Options
    Be very careful. Half way through the day you should be way further than 200 calories. It sounds backwards, but you do need to eat in order to lose. Try eating very lean meats and things with lots of fiber in them; feel free to check out my food diary for ideas.

I often have a "shake" with blended spinach, broccoli, carrots and a banana (often times with cold-milled flax seed) for lunch with my magic bullet. Since I am not juicing it, I still get the fiber that keeps me satisfied for hours. For my lunch break today, I drank ~32oz of that and walked 4 miles happily and I still feel ok.

Also a (small) handful of dry roasted, unsalted peanuts is a good snack. It's packed with protein and is roughly 170cals.

that is a respectable burn already.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options

Dear OP,

Please do some research regarding your daily caloric requirements necessary for your body to perform all its functions. 600 calories is about 1000 too few to properly fuel your body. Please learn about the HEALTHY approach to weight loss. What you are proposing is dangerous, unhealthy, unsustainable and just plain wrong.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Oh Amie, please read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937709-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0 and get educated on your numbers.

You need to know your BMR and TDEE. 600 calories is very likely only 1/3 of what you should be eating. You probably burn 1500 through regular bodily functions before accounting for any daily activity or exercise.

Look at my pictures....I've been there. I've been eating 2,000 a day and losing fat. Now I eat close to 2300 a day and maintain my weight.

I would be sick on 600 calories a day. My 18 month old baby eats more than 600 calories a day. Pleas ignore any advice in this thread that isn't telling you to eat more. PM if you want. I will help. :heart:
  • katy_trail
    Options

That sounds more like the speed with which I would like to lose weight. I might need to up my calorie intake. Thanks!

no. just stop. there is no way to lose just fat when you lose 18lbs at once.
    who wants to get to goal and not have any muscle?
    it's much harder to get the muscle than to keep it.
    do your best
    eat real foods
    sweat and get stronger
    and get some help to understand why it's hard for you to eat
    what your body needs.

inside out weight loss podcast is a good place to start
    along with counseling.
  • Lbf321
    Lbf321 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I would die if I ate the calories you are giving yourself. I eat 2100 calories a day, that breaks up to 6 meals that are about 350 calories eat. I started doing this a couple days ago. Before this I was obcessed with my next meal and would rebell by binge eating at night. I feel great with these small meals and haven't binged, plus I have so much more energy. Before I could only exercise and then be so exhausted I would lay on the couch for the rest of the day, when eat low calories. Now I exercise for an hour and then I have been cleaning like a maniac since I have so much energy. I also have fibromyalgia so I have weeks of being exhausted and being in a ton of pain, so I can relate. I try not to be hard on myself during those times. But its not not to get angry when it feels like a constant battle with your body. Try the tdee-20% its really so much more doable and fun.
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options

If you go with egg whites there is a lot less cholesterol. Also, 600 calories is WAY too low, especially if you are burning. You realize that means you have negative calories each day, right? That's not good. Your body uses calories as fuel.

1200 should be the minimum as a woman and that's only if your're not exercising. If you're exercising you need more to fuel the exercise.

Please do some more research before you find yourself in an even more unhealthy situation.