Long Car Trip With No Time For Healthy Meals--Help!

Options
Annerk1
Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
My husband and I are driving cross-country in a couple of months. We are on a very tight schedule on our "drive days" and will not have time to stop for a full service meal someplace with healthier choices. There is only so much Subway one can eat, and while I'm not GF, I don't like to eat that much wheat.

Additionally I'm allergic to nuts and sensitive to soy in larger quantities. I don't eat pork or lamb.

To make matters worse, by the looks of it, particularly between San Antonio and Phoenix it seems that there isn't going to be much choice anyhow.

We'll have a cooler with us, and I'm not adverse to stocking it with healthy options before we leave and along the way. It looks like I'll have a total of about 10 lunches/dinners that I need to get creative for. I could always stop at a grocery store and get prepackaged salad, pre-packaged grilled chicken strips, and other salad fixings and put it together on a paper plate, but that will get old quickly.

I eat 1000 calories a day if I don't work out (which I won't have time to do) and then half of the calories I "earn" by working out when I do. I try to limit fruits and try to eat only whole grains when I eat them. My primary protein sources are eggs, chicken breast, and salmon plus fat free Greek Yogurt.

So, any ideas?

Replies

• AJL437
    AJL437 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I think grocery stores are a great deal. I wouldn't try for variety - just figure out 2 -3 meals you won't mind having over and over that you could reasonably get at a gas station or grocery store - ie. hard boiled eggs, veggies, hummus, etc.
  • htimsm87
    htimsm87 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    How about the pre-made salads from places like McDonalds.. I find these salads to be actually pretty good..
  • Nutterbeanie
    Nutterbeanie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just did this. And I do have to avoid gluten, so it was tricky. I found that most fast food places (McD's, Wendy's, Burger King) have salads. Yes, I got tired of salads... then we went to Wendy's and I got a baked potato (unloaded) and chili. Grocery store for fruits and veggies-in-a-bag type snacks, yogurt, and I recently learned that 7-11 has hard boiled eggs! Pack some packaged oatmeal for breakfast in your hotel (campground?)
  • Nutterbeanie
    Nutterbeanie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    PS At all costs avoid Hardy's and Arby's. No real alternatives there that I could see. I went off-plan that day! Ugh.
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I did this recently and didn't have too much trouble, I packed a cooler with a lot of fruit, lower fat cheeses, sandwich fixings, etc.

Also you can't get in much trouble most fast food places with a grilled chicken sandwich hold-the-mayo.
  • karentcampbell
    karentcampbell Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    We have two little kids and often have to do long road trips . We have a travel cooler that comes with us, we pack it up with veggies and fruit etc before we go, and replenish it when we need to at grocery stores along the way. Ice is easy to find at Gas stations. Where there is a will there is a way :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Pack the cooler. Stop to refill it at grocery stores, it won't take much longer than stopping at restaurants. Before you go, hard boil a dozen (or more) eggs to take with you. Get cheese sticks, yogurt, fruit, stuff for sandwiches. Look for the already washed and cut packs of carrots and celery in the produce section. If you have GPS, search ahead on your route for restaurants with salad buffets, most will let you fill takeout containers.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Oh, and eat more than 1,000 calories a day.
  • Annerk1
    Options
    I just did this. And I do have to avoid gluten, so it was tricky. I found that most fast food places (McD's, Wendy's, Burger King) have salads. Yes, I got tired of salads... then we went to Wendy's and I got a baked potato (unloaded) and chili. Grocery store for fruits and veggies-in-a-bag type snacks, yogurt, and I recently learned that 7-11 has hard boiled eggs! Pack some packaged oatmeal for breakfast in your hotel (campground?)

Thanks--this was kind of the thought I had. I can bring hard boiled eggs from home and buy a bag of the Eggland's Best when we're in California before we start the trip home. Veggies in a bag are a great idea I hadn't thought of--carrots, broccoli, num!

Those Wendy's salads are really not so good for you--holy moley--lots of calories and fat!

I don't generally eat potatoes, no real nutritional value and far too many carbs for me--I'd rather get my carbs through vegetables and whole grains. I make chili at home with lean meat, but won't eat the stuff at Wendy's--far too much fat. That's not even a nutritional thing for me, I just don't care for meat with more than a ~5% fat content.

Fortunately we have breakfast included at all but one of our hotels--some will be oatmeal, others we get a cooked to order breakfast and I'll have an egg whites omelette loaded with veggies--that is my favorite breakfast! The one hotel we don't have breakfast will probably be a splurge for a scone from Bouchon Bakery. That afternoon we've got free time and I can do five miles on the treadmill and an hour of yoga. :)
  • Annerk1
    Options

I seldom am hungry for more than that if I'm not working out. I had to force myself to make it to 900 calories yesterday (dealing with a minor foot injury so unable to run for four days--running is where I burn real calories and then want/need to eat), and I refuse to eat just to up my calorie count. When my body tells me it's hungry I feed it, but I eat to live, I don't live to eat.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Starkist does single serve packets of tuna and maybe salmon - available in a variety of flavors - work well as part of a salad or sandwich (I'm GF, so do open faced on a tostada or a GF wrap). Importantly, they don't require refrigeration and aren't too bad on sodium. Beyond that - lots of healthy munchies - fruits and vegetable, air popped popcorn (make a bunch before you leave and package in "single serve" portions - probably about 4 cups per serving). You can also do "lettuce wraps", using lettuce leaves in place of tortillas and "fill" with meat, cheese, veg, etc. Hummus and celery or peanut butter and celery make a nice snack or lunch
  • Kifissia
    Kifissia Posts: 136
    Options
    How about the pre-made salads from places like McDonalds.. I find these salads to be actually pretty good..

Great idea about pre-made salads at McDonalds, but rumor has it that most fast food and restaurants add sugar to their salads to make them tastier. You've done a lot of research, so here are two articles I found that may be helpful in making your decisions while traveling.
    Here's one article I found:
    http://consumerist.com/2007/05/31/the-myth-of-salads-why-why-fast-food-salads-arent-necessarily-going-to-help-you-lose-weight/
    Here's another:
    http://www.genconnect.com/health/salad-making-you-fat-jj-virgin-nutrition-tips/
    Have a great trip!
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm stuck on you only eating 1,000 calories a day.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

I seldom am hungry for more than that if I'm not working out. I had to force myself to make it to 900 calories yesterday (dealing with a minor foot injury so unable to run for four days--running is where I burn real calories and then want/need to eat), and I refuse to eat just to up my calorie count. When my body tells me it's hungry I feed it, but I eat to live, I don't live to eat.

Then please explain how you got overweight in the first place if you weren't overeating.

Back to your question, i would pack fruit, nuts and string cheese. Peanut butter doesn't have to be refrigerated, and you could always throw some jelly in the cooler and make pb/j sandwiches.
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options

I don't generally eat potatoes, no real nutritional value and far too many carbs for me--I'd rather get my carbs through vegetables and whole grains.

false:
    Have you read the label lately?

One medium-size potato has just 110 calories and is absolutely fat-, sodium and cholesterol free, making them downright undeniable for any diet. The power of the potato doesn’t stop there.

POTASSIUM

Potatoes are a good source of potassium…more potassium than a banana.

One medium potato with skin provides 620 milligrams or 18% of the recommended daily value (DV) per serving. Potatoes rank highest for potassium content among the top 20 most frequently consumed raw vegetables and fruits. Potassium is a mineral that is part of every body cell. It helps regulate fluids and mineral balance in and out of cells and in doing so, helps maintain normal blood pressure. Potassium is also vital for transmitting nerve impulses or signals, and in helping muscles contract.

Potassium is a powerful dietary factor that may help lower blood pressure. Unfortunately, few Americans are getting the recommended 4700 milligrams per day of potassium they need. (Potatoes make it easier!)

VITAMIN C

Potatoes are an excellent source of vitamin C (45% of the DV), which is more vitamin C than one medium tomato (40% DV) or sweet potato (30% DV).

Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin that acts as an antioxidant stabilizing free radicals, thus helping prevent cellular damage. It aids in collagen production; assists with iron absorption; and helps heal wounds and keep your gums healthy. Vitamin C may help support the body’s immune system.

FIBER

One medium potato with the skin contributes 2 grams of fiber or 8% of the daily value per serving.
    Dietary fiber is a complex carbohydrate and is the part of the plant material that cannot be digested and absorbed in the bloodstream. Soluble fiber may help with weight loss as it makes you feel full longer, and research has shown it also may help lower blood cholesterol.

B6

Potatoes are a good source of vitamin B6 with one medium potato providing 10% of the recommended daily value.

Vitamin B6 is a water-soluble vitamin that plays important roles in carbohydrate and protein metabolism. It helps the body make nonessential amino acids needed to make various body proteins; it is a cofactor for several co-enzymes involved in energy metabolism; and is required for the synthesis of hemoglobin – an essential component of red blood cells.

IRON

One medium potato provides 6% of the recommended daily value of iron.

Iron is a major component of hemoglobin that carries oxygen to all parts of the body. Iron also has a critical role within cells assisting in oxygen utilization, enzymatic systems, especially for neural development, and overall cell function everywhere in the body. Thus, iron deficiency affects all body functions, not only through anemia, which appears late in the process of tissue iron deficits.
  • jaybaack
    jaybaack Posts: 15
    Options
    My husband and I are driving cross-country in a couple of months. We are on a very tight schedule on our "drive days" and will not have time to stop for a full service meal someplace with healthier choices. There is only so much Subway one can eat, and while I'm not GF, I don't like to eat that much wheat.

Additionally I'm allergic to nuts and sensitive to soy in larger quantities. I don't eat pork or lamb.

To make matters worse, by the looks of it, particularly between San Antonio and Phoenix it seems that there isn't going to be much choice anyhow.

We'll have a cooler with us, and I'm not adverse to stocking it with healthy options before we leave and along the way.

So, any ideas?

You are right on the route TX to Phoenix, sounds like you are going to be on I10, and travel stops for gas is going to be your main options. SO fast food options, not the best.

Two things.

1.At the "Subway" / gas stop locations, have them make salads and not sandwiches, and add the chicken (or turkey) to the salad for the protein. Skip the fatty dressing.

2. Fill your cooler. Even if you are on the road for 6 days, it is easy to cook and prepare meals and keep them in the cooler.
    Figure out a schedule for the days you are going to be on the road, and the menu that you are going to want to eat.
    Then take 1/2 a day and cook it all. Bag it up, and throw it in the cooler. keep the ice fresh 2x a day and you will be fine. That way you know what you are going to have each and every meal, because you planned it out.
    No different from going shopping and putting in in your fridge at home, you just have a cooler instead of a fridge.

If you are an oatmeal friend, then all the travel stops have hot water, so you can make this.
    In fact, unless you are driving straight through, you will be spending the night some place, so breakfast should be taken care of there, or some place close by, so you are really only looking at 2x meals a day and snacks... easy to do in a large cooler.
  • jaybaack
    Options

I don't generally eat potatoes, no real nutritional value and far too many carbs for me--I'd rather get my carbs through vegetables and whole grains.

false:
    Have you read the label lately?

One medium-size potato has just 110 calories and is absolutely fat-, sodium and cholesterol free, making them downright undeniable for any diet. The power of the potato doesn’t stop there.

While what you have mentioned here is all great, you didn't mention carbs, which is why she is avoiding them, especially if she is on a low carb eating plan.
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    fair enough. I was just defending the all mighty potato =)
  • jaybaack
    Options
    oh it is an awesome vegetable, just not available to all eating plans.

;-)
  • Annerk1
    Options

Then please explain how you got overweight in the first place if you weren't overeating.

Back to your question, i would pack fruit, nuts and string cheese. Peanut butter doesn't have to be refrigerated, and you could always throw some jelly in the cooler and make pb/j sandwiches.

I can't eat peanut butter or nuts, I have peanut and nut allergies as mentioned in my first post. I don't eat jelly--I might as well scoop high fructose corn syrup into my mouth. On the rare occasion when I have an English Muffin, I put honey on it.

I gained weight due to a medical issue that required surgery and caused me to not be able to work out and also I gained weight due to a medication I was on. That's in the past now, and I'm back to my old routine. I'm actually technically just under being overweight per the BMI charts, but I'm currently wearing a size 10 rather than the size 4 or 6 I normally wear and want to get back to.