new member ~ 24y/o & breastfeeding :)

Options
ashley_h10
ashley_h10 Posts: 110 Member
Hi!

I just found this site and so far its amazing! I love how i can control my calories and food certainly has a new meaning to me now! I just had my son on may 15 and am trying to lose just under 20 pounds. Hopefully this site will make it easier and motivate me.

If there are any other new moms trying to lose the baby fat, give me a shout and add me, that way we can motivate each other!

Replies

• erinsolesky
    erinsolesky Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hey Ashley! I'm a breastfeeding mom as well. This site has been such a blessing for me since having my son in November. I don't add any extra calories to my daily intake, I just go by what the website formulates for me. I've been able to lose 51 lbs in 8 months with counting calories and exercising. YOU CAN DO IT!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome - while my "baby" is a little older - he's 15 mo now!! I am still trying to lose the baby fat - this site has helped me lose 36 lbs in 6 months - I'd like to lose about 30 more to get to my weight before my first pregnancy!! I was a breastfeeding mom as well this site can be a useful tool for that - you can make sure you are eating enough healthy calories to feed yourself and you little guy and still lose weight at the same time!. Congrats on your new addition and good luck on getting your body back!!!!
  • ashley_h10
    Options
    wow! Its so great to hear that both of you have lost weight with the help of this site! Very motivating for me!!! I have added the breastfeeding mom "food" to my daily meals allowing me to go over my calories by 500....i dont think i will actually take advantage of it though! I will see how it plays out.
  • Luckymam
    Luckymam Posts: 300
    Options
    Hi! Add me if you like. My son is 7 months old. I'm still breastfeeding and have so far lost 40lbs since joining MFP. x
  • amyl11
    amyl11 Posts: 6
    Options
    I just goined MFP this week. My daughter is almost 8 mos old and I'm BF'ing her as well. I wondered if there was a way to add more calories to my day for that; can you please tell me where you found that?

I too have about 15 (realistically) - 20 (hopeful) lbs to lose. :smile: I've lost about 17 since I had her but needed to be more honest with myself about how much I'm really eating so I joined here!
  • ashley_h10
    Options
    that is amazing! I will def add you =)
  • ashley_h10
    Options
    I just goined MFP this week. My daughter is almost 8 mos old and I'm BF'ing her as well. I wondered if there was a way to add more calories to my day for that; can you please tell me where you found that?

I too have about 15 (realistically) - 20 (hopeful) lbs to lose. :smile: I've lost about 17 since I had her but needed to be more honest with myself about how much I'm really eating so I joined here!

type in breastfeeding in your food diary search and it will come up, make it so it takes off 500 calories =)
  • amyl11
    Options

type in breastfeeding in your food diary search and it will come up, make it so it takes off 500 calories =)

Thank you so much! I never would have found that. I don't want to use all of those calories every day but there are just some days where I'm STARVING. I know myself, and if I feel miserably hungry I won't stick with it; I need to be able to feel satisfied but not go overboard.
  • ashley_h10
    Options

Thank you so much! I never would have found that. I don't want to use all of those calories every day but there are just some days where I'm STARVING. I know myself, and if I feel miserably hungry I won't stick with it; I need to be able to feel satisfied but not go overboard.

Thats exactly what im planning to do as well =) Like yesterday for example, i went to a party and if i didnt have the breastfeeding calories, i would have gone completely overboard lol Also if you exercise you can add more calories to your daily total...good motivation to exercise i think lol
  • Kpatty
    Kpatty Posts: 41
    Options
    Hi. I have a question for you Moms. I am nursing my 2 year old son (only at nights...but he still nurses approx. every 3-4 hours). I am currently on a 1,210 calorie/day "diet" and I usually (with exercise) am under my calorie intake. I'm wondering if my milk if affected by this. He seems to still enjoy nursing (I think most of it is for comfort instead of nourishment) but I still want to make sure he's getting something healthy! Any thoughts?
  • ashley_h10
    Options
    Hi. I have a question for you Moms. I am nursing my 2 year old son (only at nights...but he still nurses approx. every 3-4 hours). I am currently on a 1,210 calorie/day "diet" and I usually (with exercise) am under my calorie intake. I'm wondering if my milk if affected by this. He seems to still enjoy nursing (I think most of it is for comfort instead of nourishment) but I still want to make sure he's getting something healthy! Any thoughts?

i wouldnt worry as long as he is getting adequate food during the day...ive got my 2y/o on multivitamins and she refuses to drink cows milk and she is REALLY healthy. My opinion is you are giving him more than enough good stuff considering your breastfeeding, add in a healthy diet and maybe cows milk and some vitamins and you should pat yourself on the back! =) I believce nursing is healthy no matter what, plus ive read that your body will put all your best nutrients towards the breast milk and starve YOU instead of the baby.
  • amyl11
    Options

I weaned my son at about 14 months (he's almost four now and I'm back at it again with my almost 8 month old daughter); at that point he was only nursing right before bed. I don't know that I even had any milk left, I think he was just doing it for comfort. Do you know if you are still lactating? I think its great that you want to offer him comfort but to honestly answer your question I would kind of doubt that he's getting much milk. I'm not a doctor, though... :smile: