What do you do when you feel soooo hungry?

Options
13»

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Be very careful. Half way through the day you should be way further than 200 calories. It sounds backwards, but you do need to eat in order to lose. Try eating very lean meats and things with lots of fiber in them; feel free to check out my food diary for ideas.

I often have a "shake" with blended spinach, broccoli, carrots and a banana (often times with cold-milled flax seed) for lunch with my magic bullet. Since I am not juicing it, I still get the fiber that keeps me satisfied for hours. For my lunch break today, I drank ~32oz of that and walked 4 miles happily and I still feel ok.

Also a (small) handful of dry roasted, unsalted peanuts is a good snack. It's packed with protein and is roughly 170cals.

170cal?!?! That's insane! How can I lose weight eating that? I only burn about 700 - 800 calories a day with my exercise.

I'm 5'3", currently 139 lbs and not clinically overweight. I still lose weight eating 1600 Cals per day. Until this week, my only exercise has been one 30min heavy lifting workout. You need to eat A LOT more.

If you feel guilty eating more than 100 Cals at a time, then eat 100 Cals every time you turn around.
  • jessichri
    jessichri Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Guilt is your enemy in this. Don't feel guilty, you NEED food!

The biggest thing is breakfast. You want plenty of protein, some fiber, and some fat. I'm a big fan of eggs with veggies for breakfast.

I break my meals up into 300 calories each. If you're aiming for 1700 calories (like your diary says) then you get 5 300 calorie meals plus 200 calories worth of snacks, more if you exercise!

Believe me, 1700 calories is a lot more food than you think if you are picking healthier options.

Also, if you go over, don't worry! Going a little over won't hurt you, use it as motivation to get in some exercise to work it off.

I saw the cholesterol in one egg was 65% of my daily. That's just too much. I changed my diary. They gave me a set of calorie limits. I don't want to go anywhere near 1700. I put it to 600. That way I would have 200 per meal. (I don't snack, never did) I will definitely up my intake for breakfast though. Thanks!

Please do some research before you hurt yourself. 600 calories a day is foolish for anyone. Even doubling that would be too little for you. Follow the MFP guidelines for a month and monitor your results. What's the point of even using this site if you're just going to ignore the guidelines and starve yourself to death?

I read a lot of other people on here lowered their calorie intake because the site was setting it too high.

I've been on here awhile and I browse the forums regularly. I rarely see anyone say their calories are set too high and if they are saying that, they probably don't realize how much food it takes to fuel your body. We aren't lying to you I promise! My calories are set somewhere around 1500 and I'm a big girl that exercises at least an hour a day (typically). I would go so far as to say mine is set almost too low for my activity level.
    You can do it. Don't give up. Follow some of the suggestions people have been giving you here on getting full and your body will adjust. Good luck. (And go eat something!!)

**editted to add...cholesterol isn't necessarily a bad thing and eggs aren't evil. Unless you have a medical condition, a couple of eggs a day will not hurt you. If you are still worried, try egg whites or egg beaters.
  • AFuqua120
    AFuqua120 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You are going through something that I experienced on many occasions. I would reccommend choosing
    high fiber dishes. Beans are great...lentils are also a great fix.
  • Amie_Girl
    Amie_Girl Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Oh Amie, please read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937709-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0 and get educated on your numbers.

You need to know your BMR and TDEE. 600 calories is very likely only 1/3 of what you should be eating. You probably burn 1500 through regular bodily functions before accounting for any daily activity or exercise.

Look at my pictures....I've been there. I've been eating 2,000 a day and losing fat. Now I eat close to 2300 a day and maintain my weight.

I would be sick on 600 calories a day. My 18 month old baby eats more than 600 calories a day. Pleas ignore any advice in this thread that isn't telling you to eat more. PM if you want. I will help. :heart:

Thanks I will definitely read that.
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Losing weight isn't as hard as you're making it out to be. You CAN eat and you can actually eat a lot if you make good decisions.

I've seen a lot of people try to stick to 1000 calories or less and it's not healthy. I see people who eat nothing but salad and apples because they are low calorie. That's not going to work either. You need protein from things like eggs, beans, meat, or nuts. You need fats from things like nuts, healthy oils, and avocados.

You'll get the hang of it. Log everything. That goal number isn't something you're trying to stay way under. You want to get as close to that number as you can. If you are finding yourself 500 calories below that each day, you need to work in some more healthy fats to get closer to that number.

It's hard to understand when you first get started... eating less isn't always the answer. If you're hungry, it's probably because you need to eat more of something.
  • Amie_Girl
    Options
    Losing weight isn't as hard as you're making it out to be. You CAN eat and you can actually eat a lot if you make good decisions.

I've seen a lot of people try to stick to 1000 calories or less and it's not healthy. I see people who eat nothing but salad and apples because they are low calorie. That's not going to work either. You need protein from things like eggs, beans, meat, or nuts. You need fats from things like nuts, healthy oils, and avocados.

You'll get the hang of it. Log everything. That goal number isn't something you're trying to stay way under. You want to get as close to that number as you can. If you are finding yourself 500 calories below that each day, you need to work in some more healthy fats to get closer to that number.

It's hard to understand when you first get started... eating less isn't always the answer. If you're hungry, it's probably because you need to eat more of something.

It is hard to understand, for me at least. Its not common sense, or maybe I just don't have any. :) Thanks for the support!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Good advice from everyone. I have made the same mistake over an over in the past, thinking the less I ate the more I would lose but it really doesn't work because you just can't keep it up. You get so hungry that you end up bingeing, feelin guilty, feeling like a failure and giving up.

Once I got on here I looked at the success stories and read peoples diaries, I asked questions on the forums just like you have now and read other peoples posts and I realised that these people were losing literally tons of weight without starving themselves. It was the complete opposite of everything I believed about dieting.

Take your time, learn about the correct, healthy way to lose weight and you will soon see results and one day you will be posting your before and after pics in the success stories forum.

Good luck sweetie, it will take time and you will need to change the way you think about food but you can do this you really can. :flowerforyou:
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Feel free to message me any time and I can help you out. Try not to dive in too hard. If you go from eating 3000 calories to eating 1200 calories overnight your body isn't going to be happy.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Eat some protein with your fruits and veggies. That does more to help me feel more full and satisfied than anything! Eat something like a little peanut butter or cheese with an apple, or hummus with veggies. Seriously, the protein helps soooo much!

I also stay away from simple carbs (100-calorie snacks, chips, crackers, bread, etc.). Those just make me feel hungry and crave more carbs.
  • Melany502
    Melany502 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    What are you eating? If you are eating "diet foods" like Lean Cuisines and skinny cow and 100 calorie packs you aren't going to feel satisfied. Try eating more protein, fruits and veggies and less processed food and carbs (from processed food. Carbs from fruit and veggies are great!) Protein and fat fill you up and keep you feeling satisfied longer.
  • YourLotusFlower11
    YourLotusFlower11 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You don't have to look at it as a "diet" but as a lifestyle change. It has to be sustainable or you will get yourself stuck into a vicious circle. It's not a quick fix, eat all or just under your prescribed calories during the day and make sure u spread them evenly to prevent binges. I'm nearly a week into it and I am still learning how to feed my body appropriately, I still allow myself the odd treat in moderation. You are getting a lot of good advice it's up to you what u decide to do but it is quiet obvious you can't eat so little everyday.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Do you really want advice? Everyone here is giving it... eat. Eat filling food and you won't be hungry. If you think 170 calories is too much, you really need to do some research. Not trying to be rude, but you are only on day 3. Experiences like this make people give up because it is miserable and impossible to sustain. You probably feel like crap too. Reevaluate your approach for success.

Well said, I totally agree with this ^^.
  • Biglossbiggerdreams
    Options
    You don't have to look at it as a "diet" but as a lifestyle change. It has to be sustainable or you will get yourself stuck into a vicious circle. It's not a quick fix, eat all or just under your prescribed calories during the day and make sure u spread them evenly to prevent binges. I'm nearly a week into it and I am still learning how to feed my body appropriately, I still allow myself the odd treat in moderation. You are getting a lot of good advice it's up to you what u decide to do but it is quiet obvious you can't eat so little everyday.

This is really the best advice I think I've seen. Eat properly, don't "diet" just change your lifestyle. It isn't easy, and everyone here is genuinely looking to help. There are lots of posts that explain how calorie burning equates into pounds lost, but before you delve into all of that you should probably read up on what your body needs in order to survive and function properly. Until you have a fundamental understanding of that, you will be chasing a diet without success.

Lastly, keep away from pre-packaged foods. If you take the time to prepare it yourself not only will it be better for you, but you will have significantly greater control over your intake. As a side bonus, food that you prepare yourself (assuming you don't load it with garbage like butter) will be so superior to what you are currently eating that I'll be you can eat all day and never come anywhere near what you have in your mind as too many calories.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    eat

drink water
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Oh Amie, please read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937709-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0 and get educated on your numbers.

You need to know your BMR and TDEE. 600 calories is very likely only 1/3 of what you should be eating. You probably burn 1500 through regular bodily functions before accounting for any daily activity or exercise.

Look at my pictures....I've been there. I've been eating 2,000 a day and losing fat. Now I eat close to 2300 a day and maintain my weight.

I would be sick on 600 calories a day. My 18 month old baby eats more than 600 calories a day. Pleas ignore any advice in this thread that isn't telling you to eat more. PM if you want. I will help. :heart:

This. Please read the thread and ask questions if needed! I started at 270 lbs and have lost 106 lbs never eating less than 1800 cals/day and still losing. Please research and understand how to fuel your body to work for you, not against you!
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I responded upthread without reading more of the discussion. After reading more responses from the OP, I really want to encourage you to EAT! If you don't eat or are afraid of food, you aren't going to last long. You will burn out and start binging! Eat! No, seriously, EAT.

I am a very strong proponent that you can't do something to lose weight that you can't maintain for the rest of your life. Do you seriously see yourself eating like you have been for the rest of your life? Forever? Losing weight is about making smarter choices, creating a SENSIBLE calorie deficit and moving more. You don't have to make extreme changes and deny yourself real food to lose weight. You are hungry because you aren't eating enough food!

Do not feel guilty for eating! We have to eat to survive. Feeling guilty does absolutely nothing. It doesn't make you lose weight faster. It only makes you feel bad.

Look at the quality of your food. Eat fruits, vegetables, whole grains, dairy, healthy oils and protein. Stay away from the frankenfoods! They don't do a thing for you nutritionally and will only leave you wanting more. If you eat good quality foods, you'll feel more satisfied, less hungry and your body will thank you. Don't be afraid of the healthy oils. Our bodies *need* fat to function and your hair and skin will look so much better and, again, they are more satisfying and make you feel full!

Keep in mind this is not the Biggest Loser. You will not lose 10 pounds a week every week - nor do you want to (that means you are losing muscle as well as fat). Strive for a loss of .5-2 pounds per week. Slower losses are sustainable over the long run and you will be less likely to gain it back - and you won't lose muscle along with the fat!

Above all BE PATIENT! You didn't gain the weight over night, you won't lose it over night.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Eat.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I am on day 3 of my diet and exercise regimen and the only thing bothering me is that I am so (at least I think I am) hungry! I want to eat eat eat until I am full! I am drinking more than eight glasses of water a day (and my one glass is like a litre). I can eat raw veggies and fruits til the cows come home but they never fill me up. I try exercising when I get too hungry but nothing seems to take my mind off of it.

WHat do you do instead of eating when you get hungry?

Will the hunger ever fade? Are skinny people always hungry?!

I looked at your diary, just to see how you were going for the 3 days.

You only looged today and you ate 9 calories for breakfast and I think around 170 calories for lunch?

Unless you log your diary and eat your calories then it will be difficult for anyone to give you constructive advice?

Everyone has to start somewhere and my advice is keeping your diary each and every day?
  • Amie_Girl
    Options
    I am on day 3 of my diet and exercise regimen and the only thing bothering me is that I am so (at least I think I am) hungry! I want to eat eat eat until I am full! I am drinking more than eight glasses of water a day (and my one glass is like a litre). I can eat raw veggies and fruits til the cows come home but they never fill me up. I try exercising when I get too hungry but nothing seems to take my mind off of it.

WHat do you do instead of eating when you get hungry?

Will the hunger ever fade? Are skinny people always hungry?!

I looked at your diary, just to see how you were going for the 3 days.

You only looged today and you ate 9 calories for breakfast and I think around 170 calories for lunch?

Unless you log your diary and eat your calories then it will be difficult for anyone to give you constructive advice?

Everyone has to start somewhere and my advice is keeping your diary each and every day?

I have been dieting for 3 days but only on here for one day. Just heard of it. I will keep logging in.