advice/help - losing the last 6 lbs

Options
My MFP calorie goal is 1500 (to lose 1lb a week). My TDEE -20% is 1804.

I'm 24. 5'10" and 136lbs.

My goal weight is 130, which is at the bottom of my "healthy BMI" range.

I started at 144 almost 3 months ago now. I exercise 5-6 times a week. Running and Spin classes 5-6 times a week as well as strength training 2-3 times a week.

I got down to 133 and within 3 days was back up to 136 (after a cheat day).

It has been nearly 3 weeks and I haven't been able to lose any more weight. I'm stuck at 136.

My food diary is open for viewing if anyone has any suggestions on how to drop the last 5-6 lbs. (if it's even possible!)

I know I'm a healthy weight for my height, I'd just like to get rid of the little belly fat I do have so I can focus on toning up and getting definition.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Replies

• jourdanerin
    Options
    bump
  • Cajunmalakai
    Cajunmalakai Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Ahh..evolution. Aside from a bit of belly, what is your body fat percentage? Remember, that putting on muscle will make you heavier(but healthier) than if you didn't. Those last 6 lbs could very well be extra muscle.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm a couple of inches shorter than you and I eat 1800+ a day. I lost my last 10lbs that way, passing my goal weight of 135 and hitting 133, but like you, it went back up - that's normal. Our weight fluctuates daily, but the inches don't really change (other than maybe some bloat for various reasons).

I hit my lowest recorded weight in early March, didn't see that number again until yesterday, but my body is still improving, clothes fit great, and overall, that's what I'm looking for.

When we get so close to goal, the weight loss is slower. And sometimes inches may be coming off while the scale doesn't change, so make sure you take measurements and photos as well - that's often a much better indicator of progress.
  • Stoli24
    Stoli24 Posts: 14
    Options
    The first thing that comes to mind is to double check your food intake (preferably with a food scale). Unless you are weighing it, you don't really know for sure. On the topic of muscle, it's been my experience, which was confirmed by a hydrostatic tank, that you will not gain muscle while running a calorie deficit. You certainly can gain strength though. They seem like the same thing but they aren't.

Also things to make sure you are doing... Drink lots of water and get good sleep. Assuming you are doing everything, sometimes you might just need a break. Eating at maintenance for a week then going back to your TDEE -20% goal can help break free of a plateau.
  • jourdanerin
    Options
    I'm not sure my body fat %. I'll look into it.
  • jourdanerin
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    We could be twins! Except I'm 20yrs older :( I'm 5'10" and 133lbs, goal is 130lbs. I shoot for 1480 calories a day, net. Comparing your diary to mine, the biggest differences are protein (you eat less) and sodium (I eat less).

I'd say try to figure out your BF% and adjust your protein to at least 1lb per pound of lean body mass. I use Heybales' spreadsheet for all of my calculations, and it helps me keep track of things. The average I get from there is 22%, which puts my LBM at at 104lbs, so I try to get at least 104gs of protein each day.
  • jourdanerin
    Options
    We could be twins! Except I'm 20yrs older :( I'm 5'10" and 133lbs, goal is 130lbs. I shoot for 1480 calories a day, net. Comparing your diary to mine, the biggest differences are protein (you eat less) and sodium (I eat less).

I'd say try to figure out your BF% and adjust your protein to at least 1lb per pound of lean body mass. I use Heybales' spreadsheet for all of my calculations, and it helps me keep track of things. The average I get from there is 22%, which puts my LBM at at 104lbs, so I try to get at least 104gs of protein each day.

Thanks for the info!

I've recently started trying to cut carbs and up my protein. I don't like eggs and can't seem to force myself to eat them so other than the lean turkey and plain greek yogurt I struggle to find good sources of protein. I'm not a big fan of fish but I've been trying to eat it when I can.

Any suggestions>?
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

Thanks for the info!

I've recently started trying to cut carbs and up my protein. I don't like eggs and can't seem to force myself to eat them so other than the lean turkey and plain greek yogurt I struggle to find good sources of protein. I'm not a big fan of fish but I've been trying to eat it when I can.

Any suggestions>?

What's wrong with chicken or beef? Shrimp? Crab? Quinoa? Or even protein shakes?
  • racheal9
    racheal9 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Thanks for the info!

Any suggestions>?

Chicken is always a good source of protein. I also added a protein isolate to my diet, 1 scoop = 30g protein without any carbs and only about 1g fat. There are also other sources such as quinoa, which is awesomely healthy and even though it does have carbs, they are from fiber and it has protein as well. I also love black beans, use lots of ground turkey instead of beef, natural almond butter, etc.

And these: http://naturalmothersnetwork.com/healthy-eating/healthy-recipes/homemade-healthy-no-bake-energy-protein-bars/

You can do it :) If you need more suggestions try googling "sources of lean protein," though the top two are usually eggs and fish ;)
  • jourdanerin
    Options
    I do eat chicken and occasionally beef. I try not to eat beef very often.
    Do not like seafood, with the exception of the occasional fish filet (which is not my favorite but I eat it because it's good for me:) )

I just bought some protein powder, haven't tried it out yet but have found some good shake recipes I will try.

Never tried Quinoa... will give that a shot also.

I forgot to say I don't eat beans either :(.

Picky eater here just now starting to get out of my bubble. (I've just recently added asparagus, avocado, tomatoes, and sweet potatoes to my diet. I would never eat any of these before.)