smoothies - bitter solutions

Options
TeresaC79
TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
For breakfast, I've been making variations on a berry/yogurt smoothie. I've tried frozen and fresh berries. I've tried adding a little sugar or honey. They just don't taste good though like the ones from Smoothie King, etc.

Suggestions?

Replies

• squiggyflop
    squiggyflop Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Are these green smoothies or regular ones? Also some yogurt brands are yuckier in smoothies than others. Like, some are more sour/bitter.

I am not familiar with smoothie king, but im sure there are copy cat recipes out there.

Also sometimes all it takes is one slightly unripe berry to throw off the whole flavor of the smoothie.
  • nolanerinbryon
    nolanerinbryon Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I usually make smoothies using greek yogurt (Chobani) and if needed, I sweeten it with Stevia or honey. If you use plain yogurt, perhaps you could try using vanilla flavored as I've found that to be less bitter. Also, bananas are a great add if you like them because they're sweeter than most fruits.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Keep trying until you find a mix you like. My favorite has protein powder (choc), strawberries, blueberries, almond milk, cinnamon and some cocoa. Sometimes a few drops of stevia can help too.

Have you looked at the recipe for the smoothie king? Many times they are using juices that have a ton of sugar so it makes it a lot easier to make them taste better. Making a healthier version takes some trial and error to find a mix that you like. It also takes some time before they grow on you.
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. These are just mixed berries. Strawberries, bananas, raspberries, blueberries.

I am using plain greek yogurt, milk and honey. Oh, and the recipe said some vanilla extract, so I did that as well.

I tried frozen berries thinking they would be sweeter, but no.

Thanks! I'll keep trying.
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I agree with seeking out vanilla yogurt (less sour) and using bananas. Unfortunately your Smoothie King is probably using waaaay more sugar than you'd care to know! Pineapple chunks (frozen) are also a great sweet, high-fiber add.
  • OroroMunroe
    Options
    I usually make this everyday:

1 scoop of Whey Vanilla protein powder
    1 cup of mixed frozen berries
    1/2 banana
    100 g of yogurt or Greek yogurt
    1/2 cup crushed ice
    1/4 cup water
    1/2 cup of low calorie Orange juice. Apple juice works good too.
    1TB Raw hemp sead

Took me a white to master this, I believe the protein powder is what makes my smoothies sweet.