Restarting c25k

Options
Okapi42
Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
We had an emergency at work today, and I had to run (or try to sprint) about 1km, and couldn't quite do it in one piece - though that may have been due to heavy work boots.

Still, it has me determined to get back into c25k. I'd started it last year and was already in week 7, the 20-minute run, when I had a riding accident, broke my rib, and had to stop to let it heal.

At least the rib felt fine today. But I don't want to start over from the beginning, that would be too demoralising.

Any ideas how to re-start, and which week to pick?

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Start from the beginning. Your body will thank you. I'm finishing my 2nd round of C25K this week after an injury the first round.
  • Okapi42
    Options
    Hmmm, I don't know. Knowing me, I fear I might give up in frustration if I have to start all over! But maybe you're right.
  • falsecho
    falsecho Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Start again at the first week. If you absolutely feel you can handle it then skip to the next week. But don't be discouraged if you can't do the jump.
  • silmarilliane
    silmarilliane Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i have to say i started and got to a simliar level and had a break of a few weeks. i just skipped back a few weeks and it was fine. however, as it's been a while i'd say rather than do each one three times through, do them once each and you'll know when you get to the point you'll need to repeat a particular week.
  • Okapi42
    Options
    That sounds like a good plan - try them all until one is difficult.
  • elexichoccyeater
    elexichoccyeater Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I agree... c25K can be built around you, use the first week to pitch it where you feel slightly uncomfortable then go with that the next week. I am doing it and absolutely love it! Never ran before in my life! I am slow though ! It has taken me 7 weeks and I am going to do week 4 on Monday! But I am doing it 6 days a week xxx all the best.. It's lovely being out now that spring is here x
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    You just answered your own question. You ran a 1KM in work boots. How long was that? about 10 minutes? Start where the runs are a little below 10 minutes and go from there.

I'll take breaks from running every once in a while. My first run back is always to see where I'm at, and adjust the training from there.
  • Okapi42
    Options
    It was significantly faster than 10 minutes, but that's because someone's life was at risk - I (luckily) don't usually have that kind of motivation! Really sore ankles today, though.

I'd try just running and see how far I get, but it's not as easy to keep at it with an open end, if you know what I mean.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I recently had to restart C25k after a string of sinus infections and walking pneumonia kept me down all fall. Not only was it 6 months of no running but my lungs were still incredibly week. I tried to restart on week 4 and did okay but couldn't get past week 5 day 2. I quit for another two months and restarted from week 1 day 1. I feel so much better for it.

Best of luck to you :drinker:
  • Okapi42
    Options
    I tried it today - did week 3 without major problems. I think all the biking has kept my fitness up reasonably well. :)