Running Speedwork

Options
So I have been running for a little over a year now. I have completed a few half marathons and eventually would like to do a full marathon...hopefully! But Im starting to get a little competitive edge on me and I no longer just want to log the miles I want to be faster! Each run I feel myself getting more frustrated with my speed as before I was proud of each mile now I just want to be fast! I want to introduce speed work into my runs, but Im completely clueless! Anybody have any advice they would like to share it would be greatly appreciatated! :)

Replies

• RikkiDominey
    RikkiDominey Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Bump- I also would like some tips on how to improve speed.

I've heard sprints but that's about it
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    This is a great article regarding speedwork:
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/speedwork-for-every-runner/167.html

It's long but it gives a variety of ideas on how to incorporate speed work. For me, my pace improved with longer distances and adding in cross training. We also run a lot of hilly routes which also helps. I have also done 400m runs--run hard 400 m. walk 400 and repeat 4-8 times (depending on my time) after a 2 mile warm up
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Great timing - I had read this post, then jumped over to Facebook and found this link in my newsfeed: http://www.active.com/running/Articles/3-Interval-Training-Workouts-for-Speed.htm

Maybe that will help. I need to work on my speed too!
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Fartleks,Tempos and intervals:-). The training plan I'm using for my half actually has speed work figured in it. I love it. I have definitely improved my speed.
  • Blueyedtine
    Blueyedtine Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Bump! Just signed up for a 5k, not nearly as long but I would like a decent time!
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Tag
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Fartleks will build speed.

Too often, however, athletes fail to do any type of work that reminds the body how to change gears and engage different muscle fibers. The age-old remedy for this often-forgotten element is a workout with a funny name: fartlek.

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/6-Fartlek-Workouts-for-3-Training-Phases
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    log miles,miles,miles and more miles.
  • jsickman12
    jsickman12 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I want to be the first to say that I love speed work!!!! I am a little insane, I know this, but I love it. Anyways, depending on what you want to improve it starts with the basic 400 meter repeat. I am sure some of the articles posted will talk about a lot more indepth stuff, but this is all you need to know.
    First find the target speed, or race pace, that you are wanting to run. So for example, you want to be running a 6:00 min mile pace, your 400 meter time would be 1 minute 30 second to achieve this.

If you are running currently say long run at 5 miles, warm up for about 1-2 miles, do 8 x 400 meter repeats at a little faster than race pace, with about 1 minute of recovery, and cool down for 1-2 miles, make sure you stretch. This is a good starting Speed Work out. And ultimately you will want to expand this a little maybe more milage on the repeats, or do ladders, where you do 400 meter, 800 meter, 1200 meter and 1600 meter, then right back down, all at a little faster than race pace.

I have a ton of these workouts from when I ran cometitavely in high school and college, feel free to message me.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Run more miles. Then run some more. Some fast. Most slow.

mpw are a far better indicator of race pace.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Usually its endurance first, then speed, but if you can already run a half at a decent pace, then there are a few things you can do

Fartleks, as other people have mentioned. If you have access to a track, there are all kinds of workouts (400m repeats, 200m repeats, graduated 800s if you are a masochist, mile repeats if you want a marathon PR). I've found that running hills also helps. You can run a hill repeat (sprint up, walk down, rest a minute x 5 or 10), or just find some trails that have inclines in them. Also, make sure you incorporate strength training. Lunges, squats, deadlifts, and core work will help out your speed.
  • Jessie__86
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the great input! I'm excited and nervous to incorporate speedwork. I currently run three days a week along with other cross training. Is three days enough or should I bump it up? Thanks for all the advice!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Gotta admit, I don't know much about running marathons by any means. I read an article not too long ago about Usain Bolt and professional trainers talking about why he's so fast. They all agreed that it's not how you move your legs when you run, it's how much force you generate against the ground to propel yourself. With that in-mind, and in addition to many of the above ideas, doing some basic strength training would help as well. Some good squatting and hamstring work should improve your overall velocity as you run.
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Once you have a good base of mileage, you want to be incorporating a long run, a tempo run, and a speed workout into your weekly routine. If your are dedicated enough to incorporate those 3 into your weekly runs, you WILL become faster. Check into Brain Training for Runners and Run Less, Run Faster for more details. Good Luck.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the great input! I'm excited and nervous to incorporate speedwork. I currently run three days a week along with other cross training. Is three days enough or should I bump it up? Thanks for all the advice!

You can do quality running over quantity running, I train 4 days a week for a marathon (long run, recovery/easy run, hill work/trail day, and speed or tempo workout). I get in two days of strength training and an active recovery day (stretching or walking). I used to only do 3 days a week, and got to about a 3:35 marathon with that, so it can be done. Getting lower than that has required an extra day. I think Runners World's Smart Coach training plan is 3 days a week. .
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Intervals and tempo runs! I'm not training for a half (yet), but the 10k training plan I'm using has tempo and speed intervals built in. I do them on a treadmill, and do my longs on pavement, and have been able to consistently keep my pace sub-10. Check out Runner's World and Active.com for guides on how to do them. They're pretty easy and really useful.
  • xcmtnracer
    xcmtnracer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Do the research, distance for speed work changes with race distance. I learned to run at age 32 after being a runner for 12 years before that, at 34 years old I ran my fastest mile (4:01), fastest half marathon (1:25), and fastest marathon (3:12), in marathon training I worked up to doing six 1 mile sprints at 5 min each with 1 mile recovery between each sprint. My training started with 400 meter times 4 with 2 minute recovery and over 4 months progressively moved up through 600 meter, 800 meter, 1200 meter, then miles in the last month before the marathon. Each speed work day started and ended with 15 to 30 minutes of warm up then cool down with lots of stretching.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    log miles,miles,miles and more miles.

That didn't help me. All that did was improve my endurance. I had been running for decades with little improvement in my pace. Adding HIIT and lifting heavy have drastically improved my pace. I occasionally do some old fashioned sprints as well. Many people do tempo runs, but they feel like an emotional drain to me, so I just don't do them.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options

Thanks for this, it was really enjoyable! I think I am at Stage 3 :)