Another alcohol question.

Options
If i eat, and digest it, and drink on an empty stomach will i gain weight? cause if there's no food, it doesent matter if my metabolism slows down?

EDIT: When i said "digest it" i meant the food i've eaten before drinking, as i understand it, what causes you to gain weight when drinking is the fact that the food that's already in your stomach stops digesting and therefore resulting in body fat

Replies

• Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Alcohol has empty calories, there is very little nutrition to be had via alcohol of any sort.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the question.
  • steelyjoe22
    steelyjoe22 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Alcohol has empty calories, there is very little nutrition to be had via alcohol of any sort.

Plus it has more calories per gram than even fat. Drinking on an empty stomach carries some risk, as well.

I've had to cut back on alcohol to make real progress. I have a beer or two with dinner a couple times a week now. Used to be every day, and more on weekends. You can't feed yourself on it, meaning even if you have 1500 calories of beer and nothing else, you won't feel energetic enough to stay active.

Beer bellies are called that for a reason.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Let me finish my bottle, *ahem* glass, of wine and then I'll answer your question....

Could you repeat the question please?
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    calories are calories, liquid or otherwise
  • wbennett10
    Options
    Yes, calories are calories..however the alcohol calories are empty, meaning that have no nutritional value and are not good for anything..FYI=)
  • kliermann
    kliermann Posts: 514
    Options
    i honestly got fat as all H*** drinking jager apparently its all natural so stay away from that
  • Paco4gsc
    Paco4gsc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    EDIT: When i said "digest it" i meant the food i've eaten before drinking, as i understand it, what causes you to gain weight when drinking is the fact that the food that's already in your stomach stops digesting and therefore resulting in body fat

Honestly, that makes no sense whatsoever. Food that you don't digest results in poop. What makes you gain weight when drinking is the fact that the drink has more calories.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Yes, calories are calories..however the alcohol calories are empty, meaning that have no nutritional value and are not good for anything..FYI=)

They are fairly effective at getting me pissed, maybe I'm an exception ;)
  • Thinsue02
    Thinsue02 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is a tough one for me. I love my wine at night. But I relax have my wine and then i eat to much. I do great during the day but the evening is tough for me.. So looks like giving up wine is the best way to go
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options

True - very little nutrition in soft drinks, chocolate etc either - but many people enjoy them and not everything in life is just about its nutritional value. :smile:

Is easy enough to lose weight and still enjoy non nutritional items if one does so in sensible moderation
  • jontay81
    jontay81 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Plus it has more calories per gram than even fat

Not true. Alcohol is 7 kcal/g while fat is 9 kcal/g.

Alcohol has its uses in a diet, though it should obviously not be consumed with regularity.