Is it worth getting a personal trainer?

Options
Hey there guys :heart:

I've booked a fitness evaluation at the local gym for this coming Monday but while I am there I was thinking of maybe pricing out a PT :wink: I doubt I will be able to afford more than once a week lol but wondering if you think it might help me more? :bigsmile:

I have all the DVD's but working out at my folks house is a PITA as limited space so need to rearrange the room to do it each time :grumble: Even to get at the treadmill requires moving stuff :noway: Honestly by the time I have moved the furniture I have lost the drive to do much :blushing:

Not only that but a gym would be temperature controlled which would be nicer to work out in as at the mo we have a lot of rain BUT it's very humid indoors :laugh:

Let me know what you guys think and if you have used a PT before please :heart:

Thanks

C

:heart:

Replies

• Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it, I definitely recommend it!
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have a deal with my gym in which I can meet with a personal trainer twice a month (so, every other week) for 30 minutes each session for only $60/month. That was the lowest I could go. This way, I don't rely so much on a trainer to do the stuff for me (get the machines set up, etc), so if there's ever a time I can't afford that, I don't stop doing it. That happened to me the first time when I was meeting with a trainer 3x a week - couldn't afford it, and I quit doing it since I wasn't accustomed to doing it on my own. This also helps me stay on track, meeting with her once every other week, and she updates the workout every month or so - different moves and exercises.

If you can afford it, I would definitely try out having a personal trainer.
  • alapointe
    alapointe Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it, do it. I have used one and she gets me to push past my comfort zone and I have a much bigger results when I work with her than I do when I work alone. Just make sure you find the right one. There are lots of different trainers. Personally I don't do well with someone like Jillian Michaels who yells and screams at me, I just need someone to push me a little further and just having some encouragment does it for me. Make sure you know what works for you and find the right one or it will be a waste of money.

I just went back to my trainer this week after I had my baby and boy can I feel the difference.
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I loved having a trainer. If you can afford it, you should do it! :flowerforyou:
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I have a session with a personal trainer once a fortnight, I can't afford more frequently but I think it is worth every penny. I find it very motivating and because your routine is changing regularly you don't get bored, it is always evolving and tailored to your current needs. I have equipment at home but rarely use it, I much prefer getting out and going to the gym. There is no way I would have made the progress I have without my trainer. I have him to thank for recommending MFP to me, oh and he's kinda cute which makes exercising far more pleasant :wink:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    They are SO worth the money! NEGOTIATE!! I know for a fact they always have deals going on that the trainer can use once or twice a month.

Have fun!!
  • MarieS1967
    MarieS1967 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it - go for it! I have one and it is worth every penny - because I AM WORTH IT and I DESERVE THIS (to be fit and healthy).
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Definitely worth it (as are YOU!) Can only afford once a week or every other week? That's absolutely fine.

I worked out with a trainer for a year, doing weekly sessions. Since we only did once a week, instead of working out upper or lower body, we did a full body workout each time. I really liked this since you aren't focusing solely on one or two muscle groups. He really mixed things up and showed me things I wouldn't do on my own or even thinking about! Plus, they will show you how to use the machines properly.

Good luck!
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    If you can afford one, go for it. I've worked with my trainer for 2 years now, and it is absolutely the BEST thing I have ever done for myself. I see him twice a week, and work out on my own another 4 times a week, and believe me, I would NEVER have gotten this far on my own. The right trainer can guide you into ever increasing fitness, make sure you don't get injured, and encourage you to go much further than you ever thought possible.

Even if you can only work with a trainer a few times, the right trainer will get you started and show you how to do the exercises correctly for maximum benefit and minimum chance of injury. So worth it!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. If you can afford it go for it. I see a trainer twice a week and I think I would have fallen off if I didn't have her. I just had 2 weeks of vacation and I don't know if I would have come back from that if she wasn't there for me. She also pushes and moves me along. With her I am also learning how to correctly use free weights. Just be aware not all trainers are created equal. You need to interview them just as much as they interview you.
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    This is for Ruth! Nice to see a Twins fan on here!!! Lived in Minnesota for 9 years and still miss the Twin Cities!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    This is for Ruth! Nice to see a Twins fan on here!!! Lived in Minnesota for 9 years and still miss the Twin Cities!

I live in SC now but I still love my MN teams. :happy: my profile picture is from the Twins @ Tigers game last sunday. Yep I flew up to Michigan to see a friend and go to the game. Just for you here are the pictures from the game.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/ruffio/Twins game 7-12/
  • Ten10
    Ten10 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    In my opinion I think it would be beneficial to have a personal trainer. I had one that I would meet with every month and besides the fact that he was a hottie he helped me to perform repitions correctly and target areas that needed extra work, of course he wouldn't let me slack off so I had sort of love hate relationship I hated going to the gym to see him but I loved the results.
  • ChellieIrish
    ChellieIrish Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Wow :bigsmile: thanks for all the replies guys :drinker:

From reading them all I think I will definitely shop around maybe even try a few personal adds in the local paper no harm in ringing them to discuss the options :wink:

I'll chat to the gym instructor I am meeting with on Mon to discuss the options available but I know it's expensive so if I can it would only be once a week :ohwell: every bit helps :bigsmile:

PS Maybe I'll be lucky too and get a nice cute one he he :laugh:
  • jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes! But you have to find the right one. I worked out with two others (a long time ago) before I found the one right for me. The first two made me feel like crap and frustrated me so much that I stopped exercising all together. A few weeks ago I realized I could not do this on my own, and found a woman trainer whom I really like. She is like my own personal cheerleader! It is expensive, and I am making sacrifices. In the long run, I think it will be worth it. She pushes me to do things I never thought I could do. Plus, everytime I go (3X a week) she has me do something different, so I never get bored!

Best of luck, and let us know how it goes!
  • aunit
    aunit Posts: 1
    Options
    yes! make yourself afford it.
  • CocoFire
    CocoFire Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've rearranged my life to get a personal trainer. I started 2 months ago.

I paid $1,200 for 40 sessions (approx 5 months). I can't tell you how much I think his time is worth it. He helps me with my meal planning and I see him 3x a week most weeks. He guides me through working out and helps me overcome challenges like pain in my ankles and low-energy days.

I'm amazingly lucky that my trainer is also an amazing human being. There have been several days that we have just sat in his office and talked when things got really difficult in working out or with life in general. He can now read my every expression and knows instantly when I'm in pain or when i just need someone to listen. Today, in fact, after I did my workout I felt awful and texted him. He replied with advice and support.

I went with 40 sessions because I know that I need help with the details of changing my life in a permanent way. That means time for me. I need a lot of time to practice these changes and a lot of feedback. We have only weighed once in the beginning, so i don't know how much I have lost. But I now have to throw out my entire wardrobe because nothing fits at all.

I know most people won't be as lucky as I am with my trainer, but I am already willing to commit to another 5 month program once this one ends. I can't imagine life without him now.

BTW... he is really cute. That helps with the motivation!
    http://tfacinc.com/personal_training.html
  • angelae39
    angelae39 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I recently moved and joined a new gym and they had really gppd deals so I gpt a trainer. Well, she left the gym and it turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me!! They gave me a new trainer and she is amazing. I lost all most 2 inches in my hips alone after one month. She texts me during the week to ask what kind on cardio I have done between sessions and if her schedule permits, she will even join the workout classes with some of us. She has been worth every penny and I continue to find ways to cut back so I can stay with her!!
  • Karisha2010
    Options
    I would definitely say "YES!!!" I signed up for 3x a week with Fitness Together after I took advantage of their 3 sessions for $50 bucks offer to see if I would a) like it and b) want to stick with it. Yes, it was pricey, but my argument to myself was that a funeral actually costs less than the price of 3x a week for the next six months. (I paid in advance using my workplace bonus.) I don't regret it. I had my first assessment last night after six weeks and was blown away by the results. Two inches of waist, hips and butt. My trainer is young enough to be my child (21 years to my 52), but after I got over my inhibitions, it has worked beautifully. I work my butt off and end up exhausted with a big sweat going ... but very pleased at my effort. It's good for the mind, body and soul, I believe. They show you the right exercises tailored to your capabilities and physical needs, you get the reinforcements you need (I made it clear -- yell at me, and I'm out the door) ... add to that the feeling of accomplishment and knowing you're doing something responsible for yourself.

It's worth it. When my six months is up, I believe I will continue. Probably reduced to 2x a week ... but I'm going to stick with it.
    Do this for yourself. (P.S. If you're really unsure like I was, look up an FT place in your area and try that 3 for $50 offer. It's an easy way to see if you're applicable to the idea. You can always go someplace else afterwards.)