STUCK, plateau, HELP!!!

Options
Should I reduce my daily caloric intake? I've been mixing things up constantly since november, but I have been stuck between 162 and 169 since then. I came off of the depo provera (BC shot) in November, because it caused me to gain 30lbs in 7 months, eating 1500 calories a day.. After stopping the shot, I have been on 1750, 1500, 1400, and 1350 calories per day. I stayed at 1750 for 3 weeks and gained weight, so i reduced to 1500 for 3 weeks and plateaued, and so on..one week i gained 10lbs randomly and it took almost 2 months for it to go away...the point is, I've gotten nowhere since November and I am getting frustrated.
-My sodium intake is seldom (one or two days a month, maybe) over 2500mg
-I stick to my calorie goal when I can (usually one or two days a month i go over 1350 by roughly 200)
-I'm 5'8.5
-I drink LOTS of water
-No sodas
-I've lost 147lbs total (counting the re-gain and re-lose cycles), butI am currently 97lbs down from my starting weight of 263.
PLEASE HELP

Replies

• kmcosgrove115
    kmcosgrove115 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I posted this a while back - maybe it will help you really pipoint exactly the amt you should be eating:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/931670-bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should eat more to get your body jump-started into losing weight again. I eat more, and I lose more. Haven't plateaued yet, but have only been at this for 8 1/2 weeks.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Are you working out?
  • cm1458
    cm1458 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Are you working out?

the last week and a half i have not been because im feeling demotivated. i was working out 5 days a week, mixing it up ever 10 days, and seeing no results. i was actually getting fatter. I dont mean building muscle either. i mean FATter.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough. Your BMR is 1530.
  • cm1458
    Options
    Maybe you should eat more to get your body jump-started into losing weight again. I eat more, and I lose more. Haven't plateaued yet, but have only been at this for 8 1/2 weeks.

Thanks! Ive been at it snce jan of 2011. nothing works for me anymore unless i eat LITERALLY less than 1000 cal a day, and i know that is not healthy
  • CatMcCheesey
    Options
    When I plateau, I cut my calories by 10 percent and add a few more minutes of cardio on my cardio only days at the gym. It works for me. On a side note - not a vegetable fan, are you? Lol
  • jenbrenica
    Options
    What work out do you do? I hit a plateau 2months ago and realized i was not eating enough. I'm 5 foot fllat and now weigh 103 pounds but i eat between 1400 to 1900 and i lost weight. I am in depot as well. Everybody is different ? Try to find the numbrr that works for you. The first two weeks ive upped my cal i gained weight but i stuck into it and started loosing again:)
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Go to 'in place of road map' by helloitsdan.
    Also have a look at the articles within the 'Eat More to Weigh Less (EM2WL)' group, also on Facebook.
    A useful book to read is 'new Rules of Weight Lifting for Women.' It's to hard core like it sounds. Definitely worth reading.
    Keep up the good work. Ongoing perseverance will get you there :-)
  • rhondacollins102
    Options
    Ive been losing weight since Sept,I had lost 70 lbs before starting using MFP.I was at a plateau,my scales weren't moving,but my clothes were still getting looser.A friend suggested I try My Fitness Pal,I figured out I wasn't eating enough calories.Ive been tracking my calories on here for 1 week,Ive lost 5 lbs.Its very important to keep your body fed and fueled to lose weight
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Have you calculated your fat percentage? It might be right where you should be. How much difference would that last 4 pounds make?

I've been stuck at the same numbers for so long that I've completely abandoned the goal of weight loss (except in my dreams). Right now I just want to find activities that I enjoy to do my body good (which includes weight lifting), break the binge overeating cycle, and have consistent appropriate caloric intake which I've decided is right about 1500 calories. If I were at my coveted goal weight with my current activity level, my maintenance calories would be 1621. My weight is going to do what it's going to do. Hopefully soon I can bring myself to just give that hateful old scales away!
  • cm1458
    Options
    Have you calculated your fat percentage? It might be right where you should be. How much difference would that last 4 pounds make?

I've been stuck at the same numbers for so long that I've completely abandoned the goal of weight loss (except in my dreams). Right now I just want to find activities that I enjoy to do my body good (which includes weight lifting), break the binge overeating cycle, and have consistent appropriate caloric intake which I've decided is right about 1500 calories. If I were at my coveted goal weight with my current activity level, my maintenance calories would be 1621. My weight is going to do what it's going to do. Hopefully soon I can bring myself to just give that hateful old scales away!

4 more lbs is just a mini goal. i am currently 166 and i would like to ultimately get back down to 140 (my weight before starting bepo provera) thanks for the advice!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Are you working out?

the last week and a half i have not been because im feeling demotivated. i was working out 5 days a week, mixing it up ever 10 days, and seeing no results. i was actually getting fatter. I dont mean building muscle either. i mean FATter.

What were you doing though? If you are doing a ton of cardio and no resistance or strength training -- I would seriously add some.

You don't get "fatter" from working out period. You might see more visible results from strength/resistance training working out. You shouldn't be gaining eating more than 1,500 calories. If you are -- that means you probably have a medical issue like hypothyroidism that needs addressed or you have damaged your metabolism by consistently eating too few calories, which means you have to up you calories and accept gains until you get back to more "normal" numbers.

I am sure others will chime in with more advice -- but yeah. Cutting your calories more is just going to set you back further in the long run.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    You need to be more consistant with the intake for your body. It takes 6-8 weeks for your metabloism to adjust to eating too much or too little. The less you have to lose, the more you have to eat. If you are constantly changing your intake you metabolism isn't getting the chance to do it's job.

How much you need to eat has everything to do with your body stats (age,height, weight, BF%, etc...) and your activity level.

I suggest this site:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • cm1458
    Options
    Are you working out?

What were you doing though? If you are doing a ton of cardio and no resistance or strength training -- I would seriously add some.

You don't get "fatter" from working out period. You might see more visible results from strength/resistance training working out. You shouldn't be gaining eating more than 1,500 calories. If you are -- that means you probably have a medical issue like hypothyroidism that needs addressed or you have damaged your metabolism by consistently eating too few calories, which means you have to up you calories and accept gains until you get back to more "normal" numbers.

I am sure others will chime in with more advice -- but yeah. Cutting your calories more is just going to set you back further in the long run.

i was doing various yoga routines (a different one each day of the week)
    Lifting 15lb weights 4 days a week
    Walking/jogging 3-5 days a week.
  • Runningnorth
    Runningnorth Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am interested in these answers as well. I have been at 159 for months, and I have been training for a half marathon. I upped my calories to 1700 and still have not watch the scale budge. I understand your frustration. Hang in there, maybe some advice on here will help us both :)
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options

4 more lbs is just a mini goal. i am currently 166 and i would like to ultimately get back down to 140 (my weight before starting bepo provera) thanks for the advice!

I wasn't intending advice. I just wondered if you've calculated your fat percentage. Since you've been exercising, you may have increased your lean body mass and be at a healthy fat percentage now. I really shouldn't have talked about myself, it's just that the feeling of being stuck is so close to my heart right now. (and I'm not at a healthy fat percentage)
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump