Calorie goal met but still starving at night...

So some night I am dead on for my calorie intake but around 8 or so I am so hungry for food. Is this just a case of bad timing earlier in the day and eating a little too much in one of my previous meals/snacks and I should have kept some calories for later on?

thanks

Ps.. I am trying to cut down now and not gain

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Without looking at your calories, macros or whatever: It's WHAT you eat. (Coming from someone diagnosed with many metabolic related illnesses, including binge eating disorder, which were only cured by changing the food that I eat; not therapy, not drugs, not calories in/calories out, not willpower, not chronic cardio....)

Edit: and I intermittent fast and eat two big meals later in the day. It works for me, but may not be for everyone, especially those eating a "balanced" diet.

However, if that is a picture of you, you likely have what works for you figured out already.
  • pinksparklefairy
    pinksparklefairy Posts: 97 Member
    Save up 200 calories for an evening snack - some brazil nuts maybe.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Nuts are my favorite night time snack. I always leave room for them.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    I think your body is trying to tell you what it needs, a few extra calories. You may need a before bedtime snack. I like to mix 1/2 cup of low fat cottage cheese with a snack pack sized sugar free jello.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    You've only got 2 days of meals logged in recent days, but I'd recommend maybe a little higher on the fat and a little more protein from meat instead of powders and such... I think meat is more filling.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    I think it's a matter of timing. When I skip breakfast I often find myself trying to eat something in the late evening even though I'm not hungry.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    so u need a bigger dinner or more exercise
  • spikeithard
    spikeithard Posts: 89 Member
    You've only got 2 days of meals logged in recent days, but I'd recommend maybe a little higher on the fat and a little more protein from meat instead of powders and such... I think meat is more filling.

hmm ill try..

and I took some time off from the app because I was finishing my clean bulk the last few weeks and didnt really need to be over specific on my eating. Now since monday I have gone into cut mode so I am tracking it again
  • Lili0817
    Lili0817 Posts: 109 Member
    Hi! If you're starving at night I think you need to eat something! For sure! If you're not eating enough then you're going to start losing muscle. If you over eat a little, so what? you just workout a little harder. It's much harder to build muscle then lose fat. When I'm hungry at night I'll have a hand full of almonds or a rice cake w/ peanut butter. That usually helps! :)
  • Melany502
    Melany502 Posts: 77 Member
    Looking at your diary I would say you are definitely not eating enough protein to keep you feeling satisfied. Try more protein and less carbs.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    I created an "evening snack" category and loaded it with my evening snack early in the day so I had those calories reserved. I need my munchies at night!
  • spikeithard
    Looking at your diary I would say you are definitely not eating enough protein to keep you feeling satisfied. Try more protein and less carbs.
    really? I tend to get around 220 grams of protein a day and I am about 180lbs. Seems like I am getting enough
  • pamuyamakene
    pamuyamakene Posts: 75 Member
    Ok, this is a suggestion, but your meals are calorie rich esp in proteins, but at the same time appear to be quite lean! I mean when you plate it up it might not look like you'll be full after eating it. Satisfying our brain makes a big difference too. So you could try mix it up a little with some steamed veggies, which are low on calories but make you feel really full. Also water, we are prone to confuse thirst for hunger, so are you drinking up?
  • werewolfseeker
    werewolfseeker Posts: 13 Member
    I tend to get caught starving too, after eating all my calories. Usually I'll drink water (for the hell of it) If i'm still starving i'm willing to sacrifice some of my calories, but only to eat something ranging from 150-200 tops that filling. Ex like an apple, or sometimes I'll drink a protien shake. It curbs the hungry for 2 hours for me, idk about other people. If I'm about to binge because I'm starving i'll go to sleep early so I won't feel bad. I worked too hard to mess up now. But things happen and i don't sweat it, i just try not to eat after my calories. Strong will can get you far! :D
  • spikeithard
    Ok, this is a suggestion, but your meals are calorie rich esp in proteins, but at the same time appear to be quite lean! I mean when you plate it up it might not look like you'll be full after eating it. Satisfying our brain makes a big difference too. So you could try mix it up a little with some steamed veggies, which are low on calories but make you feel really full. Also water, we are prone to confuse thirst for hunger, so are you drinking up?

lots of water.. 3 liters a day of rev. osmosis water
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member

hmm ill try..

and I took some time off from the app because I was finishing my clean bulk the last few weeks and didnt really need to be over specific on my eating. Now since monday I have gone into cut mode so I am tracking it again

Yeah if you've just gone from bulk to cut I can imagine you'll be hungry. When I go from maintenance to cut I am starving while I get accustomed to the change, and I've never bulked before. Maybe just give it a few more days to adjust.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member

However, if that is a picture of you, you likely have what works for you figured out already.

Thats what im saying
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member

You dont get those guns without enough protein..haha
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    If it's 6PM and I see I will use all my calories for the family dinner, at my intake, I needed to have a snack available, so I'd throw in a quick run on the treadmill or a circuit training set before I got hungry to earn the snack. Often after working out, I didn't feel like I wanted to eat, but at least I didn't feel desperate. Worked for me. PS: Apples are pretty low cal and filling.