slow thyroid

Options
Trying to lose weight with a "sluggish" thyroid. Busting my tail exercising and eating a calorie deficit every day and no weight loss, no fat loss.. only some muscle growth. Has anyone else gone through weightloss with a slow thyroid? How did you lose the weight? Help PLEASE!

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Have you seen your doctor and has tests run and all that?
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to your doctor? Does s/he have any suggestions?

I have a hypothyroid and am on medication. I have not had any problems losing weight.

Have you lost any weight?
  • yensidtoon
    yensidtoon Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have NO thyroid, and am losing weight. Count your calories and exercise, that's all it takes. But just a hint, it will take more exercise from you than your best friend because thyroid affects your metabolism. I have burn about 1800 calories on any given day before exercise according to my fitbit. I usually do weight lifting 4 to 5 nights a week, and add cardio when I feel up to it. Just stay on the path and it will happen.
  • Cmg2k
    Cmg2k Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yes. I had blood work done by my doc. He mentioned slow thyroid, also low testosterone (estrogen dominance). I've been on a calorie deficit for a month now (probably longer but actually counting calories for a month) and I exercise intensely 3 days out of the week and moderately 2-3 days out of the week (have been doing this for over 2 months).. I have been very consistent.. Haven't lost a single pound or body fat%

29 yrs old 5'2" 158-160lbs (fluctuates, water weight I suppose) 30% Body fat. Goal is 25% body fat (for now)
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about your lack of progress and ask if he thinks it's due to the thyroid. He might have some suggestions for you. If he didn't suggest medicine, it must not be TOO slow - maybe just on the low end of normal? Losing weight with hypothyroid is definitely possible, but it might be slower.
  • Adka0726
    Adka0726 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What is happening to you is happening to me. I have the same issue with my thryoid. I have talked to my doctor and she has said to keep working at it, it will happend. I am so frustrated.. All I can say it dont give up and keep it up!!!
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    i feel your pain
    I have struggled with thyroid issues for a few years and i busted my butt at least 4 days a week at the gym and i eat VERY clean and i never lost a lb it took me forever to get it level i would go from high to low i am on meds for it also i just turned 50 today so i also have hormonal issues to and i have low testosterone tooooo i am on a gel male hormo that i have to apply ever 5 days and since i have started that my thyroid had levelled out i am also now working out 6 days a week i do both Cardio and weights and i was done 10 lbs after not losing a LB in over 2 years i did gain a few back from being on holidays and enjoying a little to many drinks in Jamaica but been home just over a week and the 5 lbs i gain is now down to 3 so hang in there Do you have a Natural path mine is really helped me with all my issues
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    do a search here. we have a lot of threads regarding that.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you have a slow thyroid, you and your doctor might want to consider medication. Hypoactive thyroid can lead to lethargy, depression, and infertility.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Trying to lose weight with a "sluggish" thyroid. Busting my tail exercising and eating a calorie deficit every day and no weight loss, no fat loss.. only some muscle growth. Has anyone else gone through weightloss with a slow thyroid? How did you lose the weight? Help PLEASE!

Wait, if you're weighing the same but have had muscle growth, then you probably are losing fat and gaining muscle. Seems like it's working.
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm hypothyroid and totally struggled with losing my weight. I am on medication and it didn't change anything for me as far as my weight was concerned. I did lose 75lbs (and have maintained for over a year) with an excellent program (which I am now a health coach for)
    Message me if you have questions.
  • Cmg2k
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about your lack of progress and ask if he thinks it's due to the thyroid. He might have some suggestions for you. If he didn't suggest medicine, it must not be TOO slow - maybe just on the low end of normal? Losing weight with hypothyroid is definitely possible, but it might be slower.

I have an appointment in June for more blood work. He suggested to double up on my fruit and veggie servings. I was eating around 5, he wants me to eat 10 (which I do on most days, but it's difficult to eat 10 servings every day). He wants to see if by changing my lifestyle, eating healthier and exercising more, my body will hopefully correct itself before putting me on meds. Thanks for the advice :)
  • Cmg2k
    Options
    I'm hypothyroid and totally struggled with losing my weight. I am on medication and it didn't change anything for me as far as my weight was concerned. I did lose 75lbs (and have maintained for over a year) with an excellent program (which I am now a health coach for)
    Message me if you have questions.

Congrats on your weight loss!
    My doc wants to hold off on pursuing the medication route. He suggested upping my daily servings of fruits and veggies hoping that my body will correct itself. I think I just need to be patient yet aggressive and consistent. It’s just frustrating to work so hard and not see results as fast as I’d like. It is a relief to know I'm not the only one who has struggled with this.
    Thank you!
  • Cmg2k
    Options
    i feel your pain
    I have struggled with thyroid issues for a few years and i busted my butt at least 4 days a week at the gym and i eat VERY clean and i never lost a lb it took me forever to get it level i would go from high to low i am on meds for it also i just turned 50 today so i also have hormonal issues to and i have low testosterone tooooo i am on a gel male hormo that i have to apply ever 5 days and since i have started that my thyroid had levelled out i am also now working out 6 days a week i do both Cardio and weights and i was done 10 lbs after not losing a LB in over 2 years i did gain a few back from being on holidays and enjoying a little to many drinks in Jamaica but been home just over a week and the 5 lbs i gain is now down to 3 so hang in there Do you have a Natural path mine is really helped me with all my issues

My doc suggested more fruits and veggies added to my diet before putting me on meds. I see him again in June for some more blood work. Hopefully this lifestyle change will allow my body to correct itself. It's just frustrating to work so hard and not see any results. I guess some people just have to work harder. Lol. Thanks so much for your response! Best wishes!
  • Cmg2k
    Options
    What is happening to you is happening to me. I have the same issue with my thryoid. I have talked to my doctor and she has said to keep working at it, it will happend. I am so frustrated.. All I can say it dont give up and keep it up!!!

Thank you so much for the positive motivation! Good luck to you and best wishes!
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I would still only eat 2 servings of fruit Yes fruit is good for you but it is also very high in natural sugars am surprised he told you to add that to your diet as some fruits and veggies are not the best for thyroids when you are struggling with it add seaweed to your diet as its very good to help with thyroid Increase your intake of the following foods if you suffer from hypothyroidism (alternately, you can also decrease the intake of the following foods if you have an overactive thyroid, although such cases are more rare).
    Foods that are rich in Vitamin A such as carrots and eggs.
    Seafood such as arame, dulce, kelp and nori that contain high levels of iodine.
    Foods that are rich in zinc such as beef, chicken, nuts, spinach, and tuna.
    Avoid the following if you have an underactive thyroid (once again, you can reverse this rule if you have an overactive thyroid).
    Refined foods
    Saturated fats
    Sugar
    White flour
    Certain fruits and vegetables that can diminish the thyroid's production of thyroxin such as broccoli, cabbage, peaches and pears.
  • teehee1211
    Options
    I think sugar and carbs should be avoided. Hard to gain wain with protein and veggies if you ask me...