Grapes

Options
MFPfriend
MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
Man, oh man, do I love grapes!! I went to the grocery store a couple nights ago, and found grapes for 78 cents a pound. 78 CENTS A POUND!!!!! Compared to the normal $2.15/pound, I jumped on it, and bought 3 bags of grapes.
So, now, I've been looking to chow down on my favorite fruit in the entire world. But we have a problem:

I honestly cannot find a reliable calorie count for grapes.
I've seen anywhere from 60-150 calories for a cup of red grapes. I normally find calorie differences between items, so I take the average. But that's usually a 20-cal difference. I could potentially be doubling the calories for my grapes when I don't need to be.

So, onto the real question? Do you know how many calories are in red grapes? I can do pretty much any measurement (cups, grams, etc), so please feel free to give me any and all info you have on grapes. :D

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• navstar
    navstar Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    looked up grapes on wikipedia they have the following:

Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
    Energy 288 kJ (69 kcal)
    Carbohydrates 18.1 g
    Sugars 15.48 g
    Dietary fiber 0.9 g
    Fat 0.16 g
    Protein 0.72 g
    Thiamine (Vit. B1) 0.069 mg (5%)
    Riboflavin (Vit. B2) 0.07 mg (5%)
    Niacin (Vit. B3) 0.188 mg (1%)
    Pantothenic acid (B5) 0.05 mg (1%)
    Vitamin B6 0.086 mg (7%)
    Folate (Vit. B9) 2 μg (1%)
    Vitamin B12 0 μg (0%)
    Vitamin C 10.8 mg (18%)
    Vitamin K 22 μg (21%)
    Calcium 10 mg (1%)
    Iron 0.36 mg (3%)
    Magnesium 7 mg (2%)
    Manganese 0.071 mg (4%)
    Phosphorus 20 mg (3%)
    Potassium 191 mg (4%)
    Sodium 3.02 mg (0%)
    Zinc 0.07 mg (1%)
  • BarbieCat1
    BarbieCat1 Posts: 82
    Options
    Different kinds of grapes have varying sugar content. Also, the size of the grapes, and whether they're seedless can effect the calorie load. Larger grapes have more space between them when you measure them in a cup, and one spits out the seeds of seeded types, so the whole thing isn't eaten.

So, the only really reliable way to measure them is by weight. If you search for "grapes"... under foods, you'll see variances.

Grapes are a good fruit, but they're high in sugars so one is probably better off not eating too many in a day. You bought 3 bags? About a pound a bag? yikes. Best to share them.
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    I normally do my search under the store and the item because each grape is different because they buy their produce from different places so i'd find the store, if possible, and then go on the count for that store.
  • Rugbychick16
    Rugbychick16 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried frozen grapes???? Ohhhhh maannnnn, they rock!
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Different kinds of grapes have varying sugar content. Also, the size of the grapes, and whether they're seedless can effect the calorie load. Larger grapes have more space between them when you measure them in a cup, and one spits out the seeds of seeded types, so the whole thing isn't eaten.

So, the only really reliable way to measure them is by weight. If you search for "grapes"... under foods, you'll see variances.

Grapes are a good fruit, but they're high in sugars so one is probably better off not eating too many in a day. You bought 3 bags? About a pound a bag? yikes. Best to share them.

Ahh, well, there's 4 grape-lovers in the family, so I'm not the only one, lol. But thanks.