Not doing weights until I lose some weight.

Options
Just in case you were/are like me. I used to feel dumb lifting weights when I was 50 pounds too heavy. It just didn't seem right- In my head, I felt like I should do cardio until I was skinny and THEN build muscle in the weight room. I also thought maybe people were thinking "Hey, that guy should be on the treadmill, not in here"

I didn't realize how lifiting weights would change my body, how muscle helps me lose fat, and instead of ending with a smaller version of my old body, I'm actually reshaping and gettting a new body.

I doing light weights, high reps and I wish I would not have waited!

Replies

• Stepmom1
    Stepmom1 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Yes, exactly. You can do light weights and high reps which will help you build lean muscle and burn more fat and calories. :)
  • phitme
    phitme Posts: 124
    Options
    Weight lifting does a body good. It is such a good idea to start right out of the gate. It will assist in keeping loose skin at bay for those of us with a lot to lose. It helps build muscle & muscle burns more calories than fat even while at rest.

I love how strong I feel when I'm lifting weights. And I love that I don't need to be coordinated to lift weights. ;)
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting since day one of my weight loss, and it has been the best thing ever. As I get closer and closer to my goal and leaning out, I am really excited to see all the muscles that I have , that had been forming all the while.
    But to the previous poster, even though I have been lifting ever since I started losing, I still have that nasty loose skin problem. I think so much is just genetics and there isnt much you can do about that. :grumble:
  • malaki
    malaki Posts: 5
    Options
    I made the same mistake really. I was cardio only from January to end April and I lost 30 lbs but then I plateaued. I worked out that I had actually lost only 18 lbs of fat and 12 lbs of lean muscle. So for the next five weeks I went on a strength training regime lifting really heavy weights at low reps (5). After 5 weeks I was still at 18 lbs loss of fat but I put back on all but 4 lbs of the lean so my inches lost around the waist stayed at 5 inches. Now I am back on lower weights, higher reps (12-15) and cardio alternate days with one rest day per week and the fat is falling off at 2 lbs per week again but with no muscles loss