Frame Size

Options
I've been told I my life I was skinny, bony, and think framed. And I can do the 'ole, "loop fingers around your wrist, if they overlap, you are likely small framed", but when I saw the new methods of bone size, you also measure the distance between the bones on your elbow to at that element in, and I fall into "medium framed". That affects my goal weight. Thought others might be interested in this test as well to see what frame size you are.

http://www.myfooddiary.com/Resources/frame_size_calculator.asp

Replies

• Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    What do you do when it tells you that your wrist measurement is for a medium body frame but your elbow is for a broad body frame? I have always had skinny hands, arms and feet. The rest of me is pretty curvy (hour glass) so I don't really mind but I will never be a willowy type.
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    According to that, I have a medium body frame ... This was pretty interesting to do. Glad you shared. I always knew I had a bigger frame ... My dad's side of the family are all built like linebackers and I inherited that trait. No matter what my weight is, I'm curvy and have huge legs, which I actually love. Lol
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Love this! I'm 5'1" and all those damn "ideal weight charts" at the Drs always made me feel like crap. They say for my height I should be between 98-113. I haven't weighed that much since like 7th grade lol. But I actually figured out my body frame size and low and behold, I have a large frame (which I always thought) so my ideal weight is between 125-140. It's no surprise that at my smallest I was 127 lol.

Now on to those damn jean companies......
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    It gave me results that I've always thought-thin wrists but the rest of me is a medium frame!
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Interesting and yes this is the same as what I thought. I have a "thin" frame as they said. I always knew I had a small frame, my hands and wrists have always been small even when I was 9 months pregnant.
  • Txracy
    Txracy Posts: 78
    Options
    I have a small frame. Not surprising. You can tell from looking at me that I am small framed. It's always been pretty obvious.

I've had lots of people tell me that my goal weight (and current weight) is shockingly low. I'm very short, and have a teeny tiny frame, so even compared to other people my height, I should be on the lower end of a "healthy weight".
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I'm so doing this test right now. So far, small frame for the wrist. NEVER in a million years have I thought I was a small frame....EVER!
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Well, I did the loop the fingers around wrist with plenty of room to spare.

Then I did the test and it said Medium frame. Yay! I'll take that!
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I used to have people tell me I was big boned & I never believed it for a second. I know fat when I see it! lol.. I am small-framed every single way you can measure.
  • vodkoffee
    vodkoffee Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My wrist says medium, my elbow says broad. I've always called myself a large medium framed person, so I'll take that. Medium frame's goals for my height are 131 - 144 lbs, broad are 141 - 158 lbs. I think I'm aiming for around 145, which is where they intersect. Works for me. I had been thinking that with muscle gain I should probably raise my goal from 135. This confirms it. :)
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Broad Frame. It figures. :grumble:
  • 80sFanatic88
    80sFanatic88 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    "Unfortunately, the wrist and elbow methods do not agree with each other. The wrist method says that you have a broad body frame while the elbow method says that you have a thin body frame"

I knew I was right, I never fit in. :frown:
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    My wrist and elbow do not agree either. My wrist is small, my elbow is medium. But, I figure if I go to the low end of the medium range, it would be about right (splitting the difference).
  • LabMonkeySteph85
    Options
    I'm broad. I knew that already. I have shoulders like a linebacker. My broad frame coupled with my DDD boobs make my goal weight higher than most people for my height probably. Oh, well. I'm going by body fat anyway.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    The measurements only work if you're already pretty close to your ideal weight. If you're carrying fat on your wrist or arm it gives a false reading. You have to have actual bone measurements.
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    BUMP for later, when I have access to a tape measure.