How do YOU get rid of cravings?

Options
2»

Replies

• WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I just brush my teeth and drink (very)expired milk.
  • raiderzara
    raiderzara Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If I am craving something sweet and don't have enough calories left at the end of the day, I'll make a HUGE cup of herbal tea. I have about a million different flavors. Sometimes I'll sweeten it with a little Splenda or sometimes not at all (I've been trying to eliminate such things from my diet). It usually helps. If the craving is really, really bad, I'll make 2 giant cups. LOL. It takes a long time for it to cool enough to drink, and to drink it all. Plus, all that liquid fills up my tummy! (and makes me pee a lot...but that's a different story).
  • CrazyC
    CrazyC Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I typically try to find a way to work the craving in. If i was craving a big fat juicy cheeseburger, I might take a bite of my kids' burger or have half of a patty served with a gigantic salad etc. I am learning that utter denial isn't going to work for me. Eating great 99% of the time does.

^^^ this.... There is no such thing as a no no food for me.. It's all in moderation so I don't feel guilty if I splurge or have a little bit or a lot if I save my calories... :wink:
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Simple...I give in. Now, I know that seems counter-intuitive, but I don't necessarily like to label things as "cravings". Cravings usually imply something forbidden, at least it used to for me. And when something is forbidden, I'd want it all the more. For me, no food is off limits. Thus, I allow myself my indulgences and have learned to feel satisfied. What really helped me is realizing that the first bite tastes the same as the 20th. In fact, by the 20th bite it probably doesn't even taste as good, now that I think of it...
  • HollyWalle
    HollyWalle Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    teavana.com
  • BluePHX
    BluePHX Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry, the only thing that will satiate my cravings is the food I'm craving. If I'm not, some hot delicious tea or a banana usually do the trick. :)
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I eat them. As long as I hit my macros I am happy. If I eat a cup-cake that has about 40grams carb, 12 grams of fat and 2 grams of protein and still hit my macro goal, my body will react the same as if I had consumed those macros from "clean foods". The only downside is it's less filling usually.
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Being in ketosis kills your cravings. Not sure how or why it works, but it does.

Try doing keto, its amazing.
  • Bumblebee3441
    Bumblebee3441 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    What is ketosis?
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    When your diet is severely carbohydrate restricted then your metabolism shifts and starts looking to your fat reserves as a primary energy source.
    I believe it can also occur temporarily during prolonged physical exertion when all readily available glycogen has been depleted.
    The Atkin's diet is based upon this process.
  • RobinRayn
    RobinRayn Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    O noticed the more sugar I eat the more I crave for MORE MORE MORE! Id reccommend staying far away from sugars.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Being in ketosis kills your cravings. Not sure how or why it works, but it does.

Try doing keto, its amazing.

I've done Keto it will make you lose weight extremely fast, but is also very dangerous and can kill youif done wrong or too long lol. Do some research on it seriously I learned the hard way but luckily before any major damage was done.
  • tinarex
    tinarex Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree with others- if it fits within my daily goal I'll let myself have something. Otherwise I'll pop a piece of gum, try to fill up on water or green tea, or distract myself. Alot of times I'll want something just because I saw it, so taking my mind off it will help.
  • SZY0006
    SZY0006 Posts: 23
    Options
    This is going to sound really weird and backward, but I go onto Pinterest and look at pictures of food. Cakes, cheese dips, cookies, bacon appetizers... you name it. I live in a remote city in China where I can't even get most of the ingredients to make the food I crave. Looking at pictures of it makes me think "Okay, when you get home in eight weeks you should be at least ten pounds lighter, and you can make one of these as a reward." Somehow it gives me motivation to keep dieting and not just buy a Snickers for a quick chocolate fix.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Oh there are lots of ways to get rid of cravings.

1. A diet with adequate or slightly more than adequate fiber, plus protein. Usually kills most cravings so I heard and so I have experienced.

2. Grapefruit. It's my favorite fruit now and I find it really feels like eating desert, but I am weird YMMV.

3. I love the herbal tea idea, especially when the weather is yucky an herbal tea would really feel like a security blanket for my tummy.

4. I make sure my trigger foods aren't in the house. Oddly enough I crave those things a lot less when I realize they are half an hours walk away in probably bad weather. But, OTOH if I really want them they are a half an hours walk away and I can pre burn some of those calories if I really want them that bad.

5. There are often healthier versions of foods you think are bad. Or you can have a tiny bit of what you think is bad, but dress it up for volume. Ice cream for example. Large bowl of strawberries, a scoop of ice cream, and a bit of whipped cream it looks so bad, but it isn't hardly a blip in your calorie allotment.
  • needsalife3
    needsalife3 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    A piece of sugarless hard candy often does it. Sugarless Werthers are the candy of choice right now.
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Either juiced veggies or 100% fruit juice with a scoop of wheat grass powder. This cured not just random cravings, but the notorious pregnancy cravings. I also discovered that I could walk down the candy aisle at the store and not feel one hint of desire for anything in it when I was drinking those on a regular basis. My theory? Lack of nutrition make the body crave something. Give it junk, and the cravings will just keep coming. Give it what it needs, and it will be very happy! I'd love to have more people test this, because I'm just one person and what works for me might not work for everyone. But who knows? It might work for some people. And wheat grass powder is cheap (especially compared to Jamba Juice's wheat grass shots!)
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I drink some water and think of something else for a moment. It's not often it happens to me because while anyone can feel bored or stressed at times, real food does not promote cravings. When digestion is ending and you enter fasting, people who eat processed food can experience withdrawal at this time, which they may interpret as hunger.

My lunch the other day was Japanese-style stir fried noodles with crispy vegetables and a savory sauce, which is nice, but this particular one happened to be the Yakisoba microwave edition, which had been left untouched in the freezer going back to pre-mfp. My stomach acted up for hours in a way home-cooked food will never bring about.
  • miissnessa
    miissnessa Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth and tell yourself you're done eating or drink a lot of water to keep you full. Or also work out or take a long walk. It helps take your mind off of eating anything else.