Reducing thigh muscle mass?

Options
My upper body is pretty lean, 27' waist, pretty much no hips, but my thighs are VERY muscular. I have always had to fit my jeans to my thighs and then use a belt to hold up the large waist. My calves have also become quite large and muscular to support my thighs.

I horseback ride on an almost daily basis in the summer. During the university year, I try to exercise 4 times a week. When I exercise at home I use the NTC training workouts. At the gym, I run for half an hour between 7-7.8 mph (my normal pace) then do a variety of core and arms.

Between exercise and eating, what could I do to help modify the shape of my thighs? It would be nice if my thighs were proportional to my upper body, and I don't want to bulk up my upper body.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I'm interested to see the responses and understand how frustrating that might be!

My natural thought to reduce muscle would be to just stop working that area.. however when you're active its kind of hard not to work your quads. I've always had very shapely quads and calves... I'd be afraid to lose the muscle because I wouldn't want my thighs to turn to all out flab. :)
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    What's with all the leg muscle hate today?:grumble:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    IN to nuke another thread where a thin woman claims to have to much muscle and wants to find a way to reduce muscle mass

SJeH2br.gif
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Your muscle shape is based on genetics you cannot "modify them" a muscle can only atrophy or hypertrophy. If you were too eat in a deficit and skip training legs you'd probably lose some weight quick since the body likes to burn unused muscle. This just seems so wrong though, so wrong...
  • Joehenny
    Options
    IN to nuke another thread where a thin woman claims to have to much muscle and wants to find a way to reduce muscle mass

SJeH2br.gif

DEAD

I love BB
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Use a wheelchair everywhere you go. Your legs should atrophy with time. Your arms and shoulders will get stronger too. Win/win!
  • rvaug031
    rvaug031 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would like to keep up my activity level I think :)
  • Joehenny
    Options
    Use a wheelchair everywhere you go. Your legs should atrophy with time. Your arms and shoulders will get stronger too. Win/win!

Cracking up lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    Hate to say it, but it's true.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,502 Member
    Options
    It's the curse of the equestrian. Do you, by any chance, ride Hunter Jumper? All that posting and two-point...! I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I've learned to love mine. They give the appearance of curves where Mother Nature did not give me any. :grumble: I guess you could do more bareback work or ride from your core a bit more. I know I've ridden proper dressage when my abs are sore the next day.
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    What's with all the leg muscle hate today?:grumble:

Seriously, we need a love thread for muscular legs. With pictures!
  • PDXContessa
    PDXContessa Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that you may have a little bit of a distorted view of what a woman's body is supposed to look like? Having strong thighs sounds super sexy. Super skinny "model" legs are not sexy. They are just skinny.

Maybe just try a different brand of jeans? Really. I'll bet you look great. Most guys don't want "skinny" women, they just want a woman that's in shape (AKA not flabby).
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Seriously? You are beautiful. You are strong and healthy and you have strong legs to carry you around all day doing everything you ask them to do. Love yourself and your strong thighs. You are blessed.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Tailoring is an easy fix for the pants issue.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you are viewing yourself accurately and/or possibly shopping for the wrong size clothing?

I looked at your profile -- your upper body is lean and toned and though it's hard to see in sweat pants -- your legs do not look disproportionately large. At all. I actually would find it odd if somebody with your upper body had slender, untoned legs.

Also, as to clothes, if I remember right you are in Canada and I don't know how your sizes work, but in the US, even numbered sizes are cut more generously in the hips and thighs are narrower in the waist. While even sizes are cut for wider waists and smaller legs. I used to work in a women's apparel store was always surprised how frequently women chose the wrong sizes for themselves.

Best advice: Don't try and rid yourself of muscle, work on liking the body you have.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    probably not really possible, but I would try Pilates. The focus is not at all on bulk, and I have seen some tightening as opposed to bulking. I too have big legs, and I just try to work legs less.
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem........... all i did was accept them, make em super toned and show them off.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Just looked in your pictures and there was one that sort of showed your leg. You DO NOT have big thighs. You might have a bit of body dysmorphia going on though.
  • kairisika
    kairisika Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Generally, replacing strength work with distance/endurance work can keep muscle with less overall bulk, but if you got plenty of thigh muscle without actively working at it, it's probably a body shape thing, and it's not going anywhere.
    Put your energy into taking in the waist of your pants instead.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Topic: Reducing thigh muscle mass? I cant imagine why youd want to. I workout hard to develop muscle. Muscle is something to be attained and mantained. Work WITH your genetic tendency, learn to love your body. I tend to have larger, mo musclular frame for a female. I have truly leanred to apprecaite MY body type and now cherish the muscle, strength, and size that I am. If one type pf pant doesnt fit, i fine another. I tend to buy jeans with a bit of spandex or lyra in them, that helps with the fit. I also wear more dresses for work that ever before. I shows off my strong calves and doesnt bind my quads and hamstrings.