Working out makes my knee joints hurt!

Options
I've been doing the 30dayshred and I'm only on level one but it involves lots of squats lunges jumping jacks and some with weights. During the workouts they hurt I can't bend very low .my knees feel like I'm bending on rusty hinges which need WD40. Has anyone had this and found something tht eases the joints. My muscle don't hurt just the joints and after my work out they are ok. Uncomfortable but not painful

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Keep your weight on your heels, butt out, and shoulders back.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    If your knees hurt it could be that your form is off. I know she's annoying but when she says "watch those knees","bad for the knees", etc, she's serious. If you're out of shape try doing the lower impact version of the ones that hurt your knees.
  • Mtleiker
    Mtleiker Posts: 160
    Options
    For the most part I keep my form only occasionally I have to catch myself . Ive seen some people who wear those thing around their knees I wonder if tht would help or be a waste of money. I have to do the modified versions once my knees go sore
  • doygilbert
    Options
    I would say that if they don't hurt after your workout, that you are just toughening them up. Part of exercise is damaging your body slightly so it will come back stronger. It's important that you give your body time to adjust to the new workload, and do take days off to rebuild what you have tore down.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I would say that if they don't hurt after your workout, that you are just toughening them up. Part of exercise is damaging your body slightly so it will come back stronger. It's important that you give your body time to adjust to the new workload, and do take days off to rebuild what you have tore down.
    that's true of muscles but not of joints.
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Your circumstances sound like mine.
    Exercise wise, I try to work out 3 days per week, for 30 minutes, to a Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred DVD, using dumbbells.
    I've been doing my own version of Level 1:
    Let me first state that I have bad arthritis in my knees, almost no cartilage left in the left knee (bone on bone) and limited range of motion.
    I do NO jumping jacks or but kicks. Instead I do stationary knee bends and calf raises.
    On any of the knee bending exercises, I hold on to a door or wall for lateral support and do the knee bends slowly. I do not incorporate any other exercises into the knee workout. The knee bends stand alone.
    I've been doing the video now for a couple months and have built up strength and muscle around the knee. The exercises get easier but I still have to be very aware, keeping good form and stopping when I feel pain in my knees.
    Whatever you do, good luck and keep it up.
    Hope this helps.
  • groovyreba
    groovyreba Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Your circumstances sound like mine.
    Exercise wise, I try to work out 3 days per week, for 30 minutes, to a Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred DVD, using dumbbells.
    I've been doing my own version of Level 1:
    Let me first state that I have bad arthritis in my knees, almost no cartilage left in the left knee (bone on bone) and limited range of motion.
    I do NO jumping jacks or but kicks. Instead I do stationary knee bends and calf raises.
    On any of the knee bending exercises, I hold on to a door or wall for lateral support and do the knee bends slowly. I do not incorporate any other exercises into the knee workout. The knee bends stand alone.
    I've been doing the video now for a couple months and have built up strength and muscle around the knee. The exercises get easier but I still have to be very aware, keeping good form and stopping when I feel pain in my knees.
    Whatever you do, good luck and keep it up.
    Hope this helps.

I'm kind of in a similar situation. I have psoriatic arthritis, which sucks lol. I do the jumping jacks, but I do modifications with butt kicks (sort of a high knee type thing) and modified jumping rope as my knees and hip can't take that right now. I've noticed a huge difference in weight loss and inches lost in the last couple of weeks, so I think it's working. Just do as much as your body can take and then a little more, but be careful. I also take ibuprofen sometimes before I work out. I just have to...