Does anybody Poi or Hoop here? Calories?

Options
Trying to work out a rough idea of calories burned doing each of these. I spin poi and fire poi, usually for 30+ mins at a time, and also hula for about 10 - 20 mins at a time.

Replies

• missfancy1980
    Options
    Bump... or anyone know a similar type of exercise that i could just guestimate from?
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    Bump
  • geezer99
    geezer99 Posts: 92
    Options
    I am innocent of spinning, but my son is a regular so I have a good idea about the movement involved. I "faked" it by looking up juggling and came up with several estimates around 200-220 calories per hour. Poi clearly has good upper body involvement, but unless you have a routine with a lot of jumping, the legs are less involved.

Here in the States mentioning poi is most likely to draw blank looks.
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    Ahh I never thought of juggling!! lol. Oh there are plenty of poi fanatics in the states and all around the world, i guess it's just a little alternative for most people on here. I read somewhere that hardcore firepoi for 90 mins can burn 900+ calories, but i don't spin at anywhere near that level, just a little dancing around for 20 - 30 mins usually, mainly using upper body as you say. Gotta count for something though right?
  • Abbey70
    Abbey70 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    This site says you burn over 600 calories in 90 minutes with spinning, hoop, poi or staff.
    http://www.firegroove.com/newsletter_August.htm#calorie
    Hope that helps some.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Invest in a heart rate monitor, it will solve all your calorie burned questions. It helped me.
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    Ahh that's the site I was looking at earlier, oops misquoted estimated cals burned lol.

I would love a HRM but can't afford atm.
  • krissypea79
    krissypea79 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I have a 3-pound hula hoop, and I use a HRM - the last time I hooped (@ moderate intensity/going along to the beat of music), I burned 125 calories in 20 minutes. I'm 5'5", 152lb if that helps!!! :smile:
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    I have a 3-pound hula hoop, and I use a HRM - the last time I hooped (@ moderate intensity/going along to the beat of music), I burned 125 calories in 20 minutes. I'm 5'5", 152lb if that helps!!! :smile:

Yay that helps loads thanks :D
  • Schnippie
    Schnippie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hey there

I'm searching on calorie loss for my poi spinning sessions for a while now but found next to nothing on the net. It's the same here in Germany too: if you mention poi everybody gives you just plain looks :huh:

I usually do 1 to 2 1/2 hours of spinning with LED poi or stardass poi with a lot of walk around/dance like movements. 1 1/2 years of practise now and it's still so much fun.

The idea of a heart rate monitor didn't occured to me before though LOL Thanks for the idea :wink:
  • Schnippie
    Options
    If anyone is still interested: I got a heart rate monitor and messured my poi spinning. For 80 minutes it says 802 calories burned. it is pretty accurat I guess. As said I do this with a lot of movements and not just in place. I would compare it with jazz dance actually :)
  • daimere
    daimere Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you are doing. I can waist hoop for 30 minutes and barely be breathing or sweating. But today I was dancing and I was out of breath like I had just been running.

There's the ACE formula here: http://www.acefitness.org/certifiednews/images/article/pdfs/HulaHoopStudy.pdf

I think other times with poi I've counted it as a ping pong on the tracker I was using at the time or something small, light that's handsy. I don't really move around a lot because I'm still learning. So I do a lot of drilling standing in place. But if you are moving more, you could count it as something else.
  • ellaloveslove
    ellaloveslove Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Seeing this post inspired me to take advantage of the good weather here, I spun practice poi and hooped for 40 minutes, thanks!
  • Schnippie
    Options
    :)
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Off topic but where would one get into hooping? I know lots of spinners (well a handful and they spin fire) but none of them have hooper girls or anything... I would love to learn.
  • Schnippie
    Options
    That's more than I know. Just one girl here plays fire poi. I have no idea about hoop...
  • Schnippie
    Options
    That's more than I know. Just one girl here plays fire poi. I have no idea about hoop...
  • txsweetie82
    txsweetie82 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This is where i calculated my hula hooping activity.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/calories_burned.asp?exercise=319
  • ellaloveslove
    ellaloveslove Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Off topic but where would one get into hooping? I know lots of spinners (well a handful and they spin fire) but none of them have hooper girls or anything... I would love to learn.

Check out youtube! There are tons of hooping resources on there, like routines, tricks, and even how to make your own hoop. I would recommend making our own if you can, it's pretty cheap and it's hard to find an adult sized hoop at normal stores. Good luck! It's a lot of fun!
  • jequirity
    jequirity Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the suggestion as logging it as juggling!

I can't afford a heart monitor right now and I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what to put it under.