Yoga vs. Pilates

Options
I have never tried either one and was just curious which one was better? I am looking for flexibility and balance. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also any good yoga/pilates dvd recommendations??

Replies

• casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    If you can't decide, try yogilates, it's a bit of both from what I've read
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I enjoy PiYo which is a great combo of both in a fun class.

If I had to choose between the 2 instead of doing PiYo, I would choose pilates because I get bored holding yoga poses for very long and like to work on strength which I feel pilates does more for me in that respect.
  • FaerieCae
    FaerieCae Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I dont know bout pilates but I do vinyasa yoga, its a flowing form of yoga so you dont hold poses for ages, I have better balance and flexibility from it, but its up to you.
  • trudiedurbridge
    Options
    red hot yoga!! the flow classes are also best :)
  • pollyineedtobeskinny
    Options
    Search "blogilates" on YouTube. It's a great work out channel on there, works all parts of your body.
  • mrsblu
    mrsblu Posts: 5
    Options
    I love yoga, particularly Astanga yoga as it's dynamic & gets your heart rate up as well as increasing strength, balance & flexibility. It's not for everyone tho, it's best to read up on different kinds of yoga to decide which one's for you- there are loads!! In yoga you use your own body weight, breathing techniques and bandas to strengthen & tone. Yoga is great to relax & de-stress as well as gain strength & flexibility.

Pilates is more equipment-based (particularly if you go to a one-to-one class, google pilates equipment to have a look) and involves slow, controlled movements and repetitions. I find pilates is excellent if you want to improve your posture and engage your body more. When I leave a class I feel like I have more power and control & physical tasks feel easier.
  • mrsblu
    mrsblu Posts: 5
    Options
    PS, wouldn't recommend doing either pilates or yoga at home if you have never been to a class... if you get the poses wrong you could cause yourself damage
  • Montarosa456
    Options
    Search "blogilates" on YouTube. It's a great work out channel on there, works all parts of your body.

Blogilates is ace plus the blog has some great healthy recipes to boot!

Right now I'm trying pilates at home using a beginners DVD/YouTube but It's only 3 weeks so I can't really give a strong opinion but I enjoy the repetitions it just feels 'right' to me...
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    Although they have similarities, there are differences. I would not say one is better than the other, though. It just depends on what you want to get out of them. I'd suggest trying them both to figure out what suits YOU best, as well as reading up about both practices. I prefer Pilates, but I do enjoy Yoga. Either one would be great additions to your exercise routine.