help... off the wagon

Options
Hello,
I started my diet one yr ago at 406lbs and I was very motivated and do really great diet and go to the gym also councelling. in 6months i lost nearly 60lbs. But then it slowed down and ground to a halt, and i was stuck on that plateua for some time. But the last month i seem to have lost all willpower whatso ever, and gained over 30lbs recently, and I'm over half way back to my start weight and begin to panic. Why can't i do this?? :( help.

Replies

• Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    You can do this mate!
    How is the counselling going to help with the why of all this? You know what you need to do but I know just how hard it is to stick with it at times. I put on 8lb while I was being made redundant & was so cross with myself!! You can only do this for you but I am here to cheer you on..........
    Today is a new day!
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    you can do this

quotes

"One day I'll comfortably sit and look back at all the ups, and all the downs, and smile knowing that I achieved what I set out to. Blood, sweat & tears. It's all a part of the journey. "

"It comes down to a simple question: what do you want out of life, and what are you willing to do to get it?"
  • KBreeding74
    Options
    I just started last Thursday. Relearning as I go. When you shop at the grocery store only shop the outer walls & not in the aisles. I did this a few days ago at Fresh n Easy. I find this helped me with losing 3 lbs in 1 week. For me it's really intense because I found out that I have an under active thyroid. So I can have broccoli cooked but not raw. Even though you are off the wagon, I'm sure that you are still hanging on with the grip of your hands & you came here for enlightenment. B^) It's hard, even my doctor said that nachos don't grow on trees. I'm roughly 30-40 lbs over weight at 38 1/2 years old. She also said stay away from processed foods, which at first seemed impossible. For me it's going to be gradual, because I used to eat pistachio ice cream & in the last 2 years found it in gelato. So I don't plan to give it up, just have it in moderation. I get 5 servings out of 1 pint, which I also don't eat it every night. My sugar is greatly impacted because I recently discovered Angry Orchard Apple Beer. YUM! But 24 grams of sugar in 1 beer. I average 2 beers per evening for relaxation over 4 hours of time. So 2 nights ago I drank 1/2 a beer and drank the other half last night. I'm creating a word document with helpful info on health, not calling it a diet helps, plus I'm including what activities burn how many calories. Did you know you can add cleaning and cooking times in your exercise tab?
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Friend me! I've been there before too. I just almost got back up to my starting weight (I only had 45 lbs to lose to begin with) and that was the final "wake up call" I really needed. Let's get back on the wagon together!
  • ruurik
    ruurik Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Do everything to the best of your ability just for today. That's all you need to do. Can you do it for just today? We're awake today for approximately 12-16 hours. Can you give 16 hours of healthy eating, light exercise, relaxation and kind thoughts about yourself?

Tomorrow...... when you wake up, re-read this post. :)
  • ndblades
    ndblades Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Do everything to the best of your ability just for today. That's all you need to do. Can you do it for just today? We're awake today for approximately 12-16 hours. Can you give 16 hours of healthy eating, light exercise, relaxation and kind thoughts about yourself?

What great words! This , definitely!
  • AnJulNZ
    AnJulNZ Posts: 186 Member
    Options

^^ THIS!
  • ruurik
    ruurik Posts: 143 Member
    Options

What great words! This , definitely!

awww thanks :) Hugs and cups of tay all round. Especially to Joselo2! :)
  • susiepet
    susiepet Posts: 68
    Options
    Hi

I just read your reasons why you want to lose weight - and they reflect lots of my reasons. Now, I'm a lot older than you, so I want you to succeed so you can do everything else in life that being overweight has stopped me from doing!

Having said that, getting and staying healthy is work - sometimes really hard work - and you will have good and bad days and weeks. So long as you get back on the wagon you will move forward. Small steps work for me - my target for this year is to lose a pound a week and I'm pretty much on track. It seems slow - but it's still nearly four stone in a year, and it allows for a relatively relaxed approach to eating. What also works is figuring out that treating yourself well does not mean sabotaging all your hard work with chocolate (or whatever your poison of choice) - but it does mean putting the mistake in the past and treating each day as a fresh start.

One other thing - I was advised a long time ago that to get over self confidence issues it helps at first to just pretend you're confident and act accordingly (I had to do lots of public speaking at the time - pretty scary when you're twenty stone as I was). I did that and the actions became habit - and because I acted self confident everybody responded positively and eventually I truly became confident.
    I think the same approach helps with looking after yourself - so if you have self confidence issues that lead to bad food choices, it helps to "pretend" you are worthy of all those good choices you can make and treat yourself that way. And one good choice leads to another.....

I hope my rambling thoughts help - and if I can support you I will (feel free to friend me)

Sue
    ps I also know Newcastle has some nice steep streets so get out for a walk!:bigsmile:
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    aww, thank you all for kind and helpful comments. ah ha, i hate those steep streets, still kills me!!! lol xx
  • susiepet
    susiepet Posts: 68
    Options
    Oh I know Joselo! The number of times I've had to leg it up that hill to the station when I was late for a train! I used to be going - this is not hard it's doing me good, ow my calves hurt, it must be doing me good etc etc.....
    :smile:
  • joselo2
    Options
    i used to have to climb it to get back from work, it never got any easier, part of the reason i quit that job,haha
  • runningbs
    runningbs Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You have to harness your self control and get back on!
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    "An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means it’s going to launch you into something great."

If you're heading somewhere in the car and wanted to get there by 5, but realized you were going to be a few minutes late, would you just give up and swerve into a bridge abutment?
  • Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I would suggest reflecting on WHY you started your amazing journey in the first place to lose 60lbs---find your inspiration within because you did it the first time around, and you can regroup and do it again! Also, do not short change yourself for putting the brakes on with a 30lbs gain. You could have turned a blind eye to this and it could have been more substantial. I have to recommit sometimes HOURLY, not daily---hour by hour! just remember this is not easy, and keep going for you, for your health and for your life. x
  • joselo2
    Options
    thank you all.
    on someones advice i wrote a list of reasons for losing weight and reasons against and i have more reasons FOR so i think this will help me. i made slimming world chicken kiev for tea so thats a start. when i was at my best i did slimming world recipes aaaaw the time.