Weight Loss While on Medications

Options
Hey all,

Is anyone else on medications that cause weight gain? I take some epilepsy medications and some of the side effects include weight gain. I have discussed with my doctor and the benefits of taking these medications outweigh the side effect of weight gain.
I just wanted to see if anyone else have this kind of a challenge? :smile:

Replies

• Gracie1214
    Gracie1214 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm on a couple of medications that cause weight gain, which they did but although my weight loss is slower than I would like it to be it is coming off .
  • aprilmayrocks
    Options
    Well that is encouraging to know! Thanks for sharing the weight IS coming off! I actually lost about 25 lbs when my doctor first added Cymbalta but as soon as I lost the weight, I gained back more!
    I am glad to know others are facing some of the same challenges as I am. :)
  • Beavergong
    Beavergong Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I too have lost weight though on medication. I had thyroid cancer some time ago but am on a very low dose of thyroxine which my doctor says make it harder to lose weight. I've been using the 5:2 method for 9 weeks and have lost 16 lbs or 7.2 kg whilst my husband has lost more .
  • aprilmayrocks
    Options
    Thanks so much beavergong. That is very encouraging.

Do any of your guys medication cause extreme dry mouth or leave a nasty taste in your mouth?
    I find that a lot I eat just so my mouth does not feel so dry or to change the taste I have in my mouth. I use gum and mints but they don't last long. Water or other liquids do not relieve it. Does anybody else have this problem?
  • Beavergong
    Beavergong Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    This happened to my husband and we found mint leaves from the garden helped.
  • nykdem
    nykdem Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi there.
    I am on Levothyroxine due to acquired Hypothyroidism caused by radiation treatment on my thyroid. Being Hypothroid makes weight loss a little slower if the medication is not the exact correct dose.
    I also have Peripheral Neuropathy and am on high doses of Gabapentin, Cymbalta and Nortriptyline, all of which have weight gain as a primary side effect.
    I have been doing MFP seriously since the beginning of January and have only lost 10 of the 40 pounds I need to lose. Progress has been agonisingly slow. Some weeks I lose nothing, other weeks I gain 3-4lbs and on really good weeks I might lose a pound (maybe 2 if I'm really, really lucky!)
    Despite the slowness of the weight loss and the gains I've seen, I have refused to give up. I'm restricted to non-impact exercise due to my PN but continue to push myself with weights.
    As for the dry mouth ............ YES!! My mouth always feels awfully dry and nothing I do, changes that.
    I wish you the best of luck on your weight loss journey.
  • rbeckner711
    rbeckner711 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I am on gabapentin also. The weight loss is slow, but it does occur. And it's better than gaining more!:laugh:
  • aprilmayrocks
    Options
    This happened to my husband and we found mint leaves from the garden helped.

I will have to check into mint tea leaves from the garden! Thanks
  • aprilmayrocks
    Options
    Hi there.
    I am on Levothyroxine due to acquired Hypothyroidism caused by radiation treatment on my thyroid. Being Hypothroid makes weight loss a little slower if the medication is not the exact correct dose.
    I also have Peripheral Neuropathy and am on high doses of Gabapentin, Cymbalta and Nortriptyline, all of which have weight gain as a primary side effect.
    I have been doing MFP seriously since the beginning of January and have only lost 10 of the 40 pounds I need to lose. Progress has been agonisingly slow. Some weeks I lose nothing, other weeks I gain 3-4lbs and on really good weeks I might lose a pound (maybe 2 if I'm really, really lucky!)
    Despite the slowness of the weight loss and the gains I've seen, I have refused to give up. I'm restricted to non-impact exercise due to my PN but continue to push myself with weights.
    As for the dry mouth ............ YES!! My mouth always feels awfully dry and nothing I do, changes that.
    I wish you the best of luck on your weight loss journey.

I once did some research on this and I remembering finding out something about if you take like fish Oil Vitamins or something that it was suppose to help slow or stop weight gain from meds. Anybody every heard of this?
  • nykdem
    nykdem Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Fish oil isn't something I've heard about but I'll definitely research it. Thanks.
  • noexcuses84
    noexcuses84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i am on lantus for diabetes, i haven't been taking it for long but i'm hoping it won't make me gain :/
  • sheilatush
    sheilatush Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I been on steroids for lupus...long time and also other meds that cause weight gain..
    But l been losing weight since Jan...11pounds and then another 12 Pounds since joining
    MFP in Feb...it can make it harder but l realise now it can be done.
  • PIZZAMAN50
    Options
    With my old nuroligist I told him that I was trying to loose weight so he changed my medication. I had terrible side effect of depression ad was having seizures(yes I have epilepsy) . I changed to a new Nuroligist and told him what I was going through. He changed my medication. No ore depression and it doesnt put on the pounds.

40803452.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools