EATING OUT HELP PLEASE :-)

Options
I'm going for dinner at a local american diner restaurant, I really don't want salad. I have a salad everyday for lunch, i'll have around 800 calories to use.
I was thinking to go for the fajitas, but can anyone help me with these menu options, basically most of it is burgers and ribs!! which I cant have !
http://www.backinntime.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Back_Inn_Time_Main_Menu.pdf

What would people suggest for around 700-800 calories
Please help thanks

Replies

• SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I don't know this place sorry,
    when I eat
    no bread / butter
    ask for dressings and sauce on the side
    no fried foods eg chips
    stay away from cheese

no creamy soups help full you up
    if you have a main 1/2 it and take the other 1/2 home

I'd have a streak with baked potato and crisp mixed salad no sauce or dressing, soup if it is non cream or REAL FRUIT SORBETS or see if they can do some fruit

good luck letme know how you get on :)
  • RyanneRose
    RyanneRose Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'd go with a steak option ...but I've never heard of the place and the menu isn't very descriptive.
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest go for a walk or do something to buy you a couple of hundred more calories and then just go and enjoy whatever you'd most like from the menu and have a healthy day the day after to make up for it.

This week I've lost 1.4lb's and I've had an indian takeaway, a pizza and a full carvery sunday lunch within that. I've just had healthy choices around it and walked over 20 miles.
  • MicroHez
    MicroHez Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The fajitas would be good if you don't use the tortillas, guac, sour cream and cheese (which sucks... I can't do it when I go to Mexican restaurants). The steak would be a good choice as well. As for sides, probably the baked potato and salad with dressing on the side.

As ruwise suggested, have a little exercise before you go to give you a little more wiggle room.

http://www.donpablos.com/pdfs/NutritionalGuide.pdf This is a well-known tex-mex place here in the States that has fajitas and steaks. It has it broken up by the entree alone, then a section for the "fixin's" like tortillas and cheese/guac/SC. By no means is this meant to be LAW of calories, but it'll give you a slightly better idea of what MIGHT be in your food.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely get the filet mignon! Or the New York Strip.

When you go out and eat, don't stress too much. Try to balance pleasure with eating healthy...Proud to say I haven't had to give up chocolate, steak and god forbid, wine to reach my goals! If you want something really decadent, eat it until you're not hungry, you don't have to finish it all so you're stuffed.

A couple years ago I freaked out when I went to France for two months. Bread, butter, cheese and steak galore! I ate out a lot and the portions were small, walked everywhere. Came home 15 pounds lighter...

Also, I'd probably order the prawns as a starter.
  • aronao
    aronao Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'd go a steak, no sauce, and maybe sweet corn and baked beans as sides. The rest is a disaster waiting to happen - too much fat and carbs.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    To stay under that total, I would probably go with Cajun chicken and a baked potato. Prawn cocktail if I wanted an appetizer. But I like the idea of getting in some extra exercise and getting whatever you like. Sometimes I just gotta have a burger!
  • louiseshaw88
    louiseshaw88 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    What about the Cajun Chicken with baked potato and salad ? x
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    go and enjoy yourself. Don't worry about anything else, it does not happen everyday.
  • kellybutterfly
    kellybutterfly Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    thanks for all your great replies guys! I'll definitely go with the steak and potato or cajun chicken and potato! have a great day! :happy:
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    As long as the Cajun Chicken is baked or grilled, that's your best bet. The spices will add almost no calories and no fat. As them to substitute vegetables for the potato and have the salad dressing on the side. Skip appetizers, dessert, and if they bring bread and butter to the table, ask your friends to keep it at the other end and out of your reach.

PS--I normally don't eat corn but was in a similar situation last weekend and allowed myself a half ear. I just added some salt and pepper, no butter. It was delish and totally satisfied any carb craving. That might be a good option as a "treat" for passing on the so many bad things on that menu.
  • JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Whenever I go out to eat, I try to order something healthy. Whatever I do order I eat half then, and half later on. Since most meals at most places can be 1000-2000 calories or more per plate. I'm losing weight just fine doing that. Check the calories on you smartphone if you can, sometimes you can just look at the plate and give an estimate of how many calories are on the plate. But like I said, half now half later rule works for me as I'm losing weight just fine.