I NEED ADVICE ASAP PLEASE

Options
Ok no one ever answers any of my other posts on here but I hope someone has some info I could use. I am 5'5" and weigh 150lbs (ugh). I've lost 20lbs on my own, 8 of which using this site to keep track of everything. But I haven't been able to lose anymore in months and I've tried and tried. After lots and lots of research I finally got prescribed adipex/ phentermine. I have many friends who are either currently on it or have been before and all of which having great results and weight loss. Also all of them agreed they immediately started losing weight the first week.

I've been on it for a week now and haven't lost a single pound. I know its only been a week but still. I take in 1,200 calories a day and exercise regularly (most of which being cardio). It's just very discouraging, I have the crappy side effects and no results.

I'm following everything my doctor told me to do. Could anyone give me some tips or identify what I could try changing? Or has anyone taken this and can relate?

Or should I accept that this is as good as it's going to get and quit trying to lose more?

Replies

• RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Hard to help you without seeing your food diary.. sorry
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ok no one ever answers any of my other posts on here but I hope someone has some info I could use. I am 5'5" and weigh 150lbs (ugh). I've lost 20lbs on my own, 8 of which using this site to keep track of everything. But I haven't been able to lose anymore in months and I've tried and tried. After lots and lots of research I finally got prescribed adipex/ phentermine. I have many friends who are either currently on it or have been before and all of which having great results and weight loss. Also all of them agreed they immediately started losing weight the first week.

I've been on it for a week now and haven't lost a single pound. I know its only been a week but still. I take in 1,200 calories a day and exercise regularly (most of which being cardio). It's just very discouraging, I have the crappy side effects and no results.

I'm following everything my doctor told me to do. Could anyone give me some tips or identify what I could try changing? Or has anyone taken this and can relate?

Or should I accept that this is as good as it's going to get and quit trying to lose more?

ditch the prescriptions!

all you need is a moderate deficit (set MFP to lose 1lb per week and eat back exercise cals), regular exercise and patience!
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    It's disheartening to me to hear a doctor would prescribe potentially habit-forming diet pills to a female weighing (only) 150, especially when you've had recent weight loss success on your own. Is this the same doc that's prescribing to your friends too?

Sorry to sound judgemental, it's the mama in me coming out ;), please be careful.

I'd say just have patience and give it some time.
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    LIke you I use pills to try and loss weight and I deicded not to take the easy way ... sorry :( I don't mean tobe mean or rude

without seeing you diary makes it harder

however

change up your food, eg if you have the same breakfast, lunch and snacks, change it up and choose somthing different if you don't do this , id still change it up.

I've heard people say switching up your cals eg 1400cal one day 1650 the next, of course with out seeing your diary i don't know your cals or what you eat.

change up your exercrise, if you walk at the same speed or so the classes week in week out, do a few diff classes, or for walking walk faster to the next letter post, then normal speed to the next fast and so on.

if you go to the gym mix up what you are doing, get a personal trainer, or start a new sport. I've done karate for 16 years week in week out, I still do karate twice a week plus i've added in twice a week cardo session, twice a week weight session and twice a week personal traning sessing plus orienteering, some days I go to the gym twice a day.

good luck let me know how you get on
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

ditch the prescriptions!

all you need is a moderate deficit (set MFP to lose 1lb per week and eat back exercise cals), regular exercise and patience!
    Totally agree I would also ditch the doctor. Any doctor who prescribed weight loss drugs to someone of your weight has really questionable judgement in my opinion.
  • MrsNolf
    MrsNolf Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Check out some of the post regarding the road map etc. If you're eating 1200 and doing cardio every day you could actually be depriving your body. Eating at too high a deficit is just as bad as overeating when it comes to weigh loss. Good luck!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I'm a similar height and 147 is my goal weight - how much more do you want to lose?

Also, you're taking in 1200 calories AND exercising - make sure you eat back your exercise calories, otherwise you're not taking 1200, your taking 1200-exercise which could be only 500 per day, and so not enough. So if your body is getting hold of any nourishment it hangs onto it. Once you only have a little to lose it does get harder, you just have to find a balance between enough calories in and enough exercise to keep fit without damage. Try the "in place of a road map" as you might be better calculating your TDEE and eating 80% of that. (Sorry, I don't know how to post links but someone will post it I'm sure!)

And as others have said, ditch the Dr AND the pills. Taking pills to lose weight is not sustainable -a friend of mine tried it and ended up 100lb overweight (she was 28lb over)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Lose the pills, they wont do your body any good.

Open your diary so we can offer more constructive advice on what to eat.

What are you aiming for? I'm guessing you dont have much to lose.

I'd swap some of that cardio for strength work.
  • mnwelch
    mnwelch Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I took Adipex for about 2 months. I lost a lot of weight but the side effects were HORRIBLE. As soon as I stopped taking the pills, I gained all my weight back, plus more. I agree with the others, ditch the pills.
  • RebuildingMe7
    Options
    I am sorry that you are having difficulty with losing weight. I know it could be very discouraging especially when you feel like you are giving it all you have....I do have to say that I am sad that a doctor would prescribe you a diet pill when you are ONLY 150lbs! It provides to many mind games and expectations. To many think of it as an easy fix or "get out of jail free" card when really all weight loss is, is healthy eating at a HEALTHY calorie deficient…You say your eating 1200 calories a day and exercising…Are you eating your exercise calories back?...I have learned through my own ups and downs with my body and research that 1200 calories is way to low…Eating only that and then adding exercise calories that you may not be eating back you most likely are sending your body into the starvation mode. Which means that it’s holding on to what you have not knowing when its going to get its next source of fuel (food). When that happens you do not lose weight. MFP gives 1200 calories to many as a guideline. You can manually change your daily intake within your goals section. MFP started me off at 1200 calories but I have learned that I need a good 1400-1450 calories a day. I exercise a few times a week and weight comes off naturally. You need to figure out what your TDEE is and then reduce it by 20% to find out your daily calorie intake for weight loss. You may be surprised…You may be able to intake a good 1500-1600 calories and see the weight fly off. In the end ditch the diet pill just throwing harmful chemicals into your body making it think it needs something it doesn’t. Find out your TDEE – 20% and go from there.  Add me or message me if you wish! Good Luck!
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I agree with switching up the food and ditching the pills. But, remember, you have lost and you are NOT gaining!!! This is great. Don't forget that this weight loss and new eating behavior is forever, not just for a short time. What you are learning is a life lesson. You will never be able to eat all you want and not gain weight. Sorry to say that but it is true. We are not blessed with the "skinny gene"!!! I am 53 yrs old, 5'2" and small. I can eat 1400 cal/day - that's it to maintain. So.... I have learned to deal with it. If I go over, I exercise more and cut back.

You are doing great!! This is a marathon, not a sprint.
  • Charles4Jesus
    Charles4Jesus Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    First, Ditch the scale,150 is not a bad weight
    Second, take measurements.
    Third, start lifting weights.
    Fourth, look in the mirror and retake measurements, you'll see results.
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Ditch the diet pills. They may make you lose fast, but once you are off of them, you will gain it all back, maybe plus more. It's not worth it. I like the zig zag method.
    Eat an AVERAGE of 1200 cals per week, but eat more some days and less other days. Also, are you eating back your exercise calories? If you are not and working out, your body may be storing fat as energy for when you work out. Try this out and let me know in 2 weeks if you do not start losing weight again. I do it and it has ALWAYS gotten me back on track for losing weight :bigsmile:
    GOOD LUCK!
  • CGPD407
    CGPD407 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the positive thoughts and advice...how do u open your diary or find these other things? My diary set me at 1,200 but I do eat back my exercise calories. With my job I really can't be skinny it would be a disadvantage plus I'm a curvy girl anyways but my goal is to be down to 130 or 135lbs. I stay in a car driving a lot of the day but I keep water with me and constantly put it down, I just quit drink'n pop. So when working I have to grab food on the go...not fast food but not very healthy food either so I keep it at small portions for breakfast and for lunch usually subway....wheat bread with veggies, grilled chicken and no cheese also light on the sweet onion sauce. At home I don't snack, really not big on snacking which I know can be a downfall for metabolism without healthy snacking. I have a tight budget so I maybe spend $60 every 2wks on groceries or longer. So I mostly eat lean cuisines because they are low fat and small portions, oatmeal, things like that, honestly I don't have much in my kitchen. When it comes to the tight budget I try to find things that are cheap yet healthy. It makes it a lot harder
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Ditch the pills, ditch the doctor, eat more.

Ditch the lean cuisine too. Way too much sodium.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I got stuck for awhile too...I invested in a BodyMedia to help me identify how many calories I was actually burnig vs the calculators. Turned out most calculators were over estimating my TDEE and I was overestimating my activity level. I have a desk job and so I said "lightly active" I am actually closer to sedentary and burn on a non exercise day around 1700 a day. I would also recommend that you start shrinking your deficit...To give you an idea, I am also 5'5" and weigh 135; I currently eat 1400 a day and eat back my exercise. Mydeficit is only about 350-400 calories a day b/c as you get lighter and fitter, your body becomes more economical and you burn less making those higher deficits miserable.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Do this and you *will* lose weight:

1) Three meals a day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. That's it. No snacks, and no "in between" meals.

2) Give up sugar. No sugar in coffee, soda, or on cereal. Give up fruit juice -- it's mainly just another form of sugar. Water is the only liquid you need.

3) In the beginning, establish a very regulated moderate calorie diet. Don't follow any sort of fad such. Just pick a selection of foods that add up to a normal balanced diet -- whole grains, veggies, fruit, dairy, a little meat, etc. But start out by having exactly the same three meals each day -- the same foods and the same amounts. Weigh the portions on a scale. Consider frozen dinners. Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, Kashi, Smart Ones, and probably other brands have several that are low in calories and saturated fat, moderate in salt, and high in fiber.

4) Weigh yourself every day on a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale. Your weight should go down over every couple of days. If it doesn't, eliminate items from your diet or reduce the size of portions until your weight does go down. (If you don't have a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale, I'd recommend the EatSmart Precision Plus Digital Scale, which is sold on Amazon.)

5) When you have achieved a weight losing diet, then you can start making adjustments to add variety, but make sure that you keep losing weight.

6) Be sure to get regular daily exercise.

I've written an essay about losing weight on my blog that talks somewhat more generally about how to lose weight. Here's a link to that essay: http://bobday.net23.net/?p=27

no. :noway:
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    First, Ditch the scale,150 is not a bad weight
    Second, take measurements.
    Third, start lifting weights.
    Fourth, look in the mirror and retake measurements, you'll see results.

this
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Do this and you *will* lose weight:

1) Three meals a day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. That's it. No snacks, and no "in between" meals.

2) Give up sugar. No sugar in coffee, soda, or on cereal. Give up fruit juice -- it's mainly just another form of sugar. Water is the only liquid you need.

3) In the beginning, establish a very regulated moderate calorie diet. Don't follow any sort of fad such. Just pick a selection of foods that add up to a normal balanced diet -- whole grains, veggies, fruit, dairy, a little meat, etc. But start out by having exactly the same three meals each day -- the same foods and the same amounts. Weigh the portions on a scale. Consider frozen dinners. Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, Kashi, Smart Ones, and probably other brands have several that are low in calories and saturated fat, moderate in salt, and high in fiber.

4) Weigh yourself every day on a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale. Your weight should go down over every couple of days. If it doesn't, eliminate items from your diet or reduce the size of portions until your weight does go down. (If you don't have a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale, I'd recommend the EatSmart Precision Plus Digital Scale, which is sold on Amazon.)

5) When you have achieved a weight losing diet, then you can start making adjustments to add variety, but make sure that you keep losing weight.

6) Be sure to get regular daily exercise.

I've written an essay about losing weight on my blog that talks somewhat more generally about how to lose weight. Here's a link to that essay: http://bobday.net23.net/?p=27
    You're kidding, right?!
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    You mention eating Lean Cuisine. Check the sodium level there...it's usually very high and can cause water retention. But you've lost a good amount already and at your height, your weight sounds good. I stalled and just went up and down for 8 months and figured that was what I should weigh. I decided to try 30 Day Shred (Jillian Michaels) and with that change in exercise began to drop again...a total of 11 lbs. by the end. So switch up your exercise in some way and it might help.

I agree...ditch the Dr. and the pills. They're usually a temporary fix, can do unknown damage, and the weight usually returns when you quit. Learn to eat and exercise in a way that you can sustain for the long haul. Most of all, good luck and make wise choices.