Help with cooking fish

Options
tnafaye
tnafaye Posts: 5 Member
I want to try making fish but I don't even know what kind to buy or how to cook it. Any advise would be helpful. Thank you in advance. :smile:

Replies

• squeakyfish
    squeakyfish Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    tilapia is very easy to start with. It's not fishy, cooks quickly, and is versatile. I buy the individually wrapped fillets that you find in a bag in the freezer section. You can put the bag under hot water and it thaws in minutes. I cook it up in a pan, sprayed with a little cooking spray and Mrs Dash spicy seasoning and put it in corn tortillas with cabbage for fish tacos. Cooking it up in a packet is another easy method. Get a piece of parchment and lay the fish on top. Put some seasonings (any you want, old bay, lemon pepper, garlic powder, etc) top with a slice of lemon. Bring the parchment together at the middle and fold, then fold each end in a few times. Place it on a baking sheet and cook at 400 for about 15 minutes. Another favorite is to coat it in egg, then breadcrumbs, and fry in about a teaspoon of oil.

The key with fish is not to overcook it. There is no rescuing it, once you've over cooked it.
  • BozGirl
    BozGirl Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    These are my two favorite fish recipes, and they are crazy easy and crazy delicious. I'll serve either of them with brown rice and streamed or roasted veggies.

Honey Glazed Salmon:
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/honey-glazed-salmon-10000000222922/

Mustard Roasted Fish (I use tilapia for the fish, sub onion for the shallot--no need to be fancy, and sub Greek yogurt or light sour cream for the creme fraiche):
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/mustard-roasted-fish-recipe/index.html
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I am a new fish eater. I have had lots of luck with making Tilapia. It is an odorless, white, clean looking fish that is usually deboned when sold. Here is what I do:

(1) cut the fish in half so that you have two long thin filets. (It comes attached as a two piece joined by a bridge at the center.)
    (2) rinse and dry
    (3) dip in olive oil
    (4) roll in crumbs. I used either breadcrumbs or panko or crumbled crackers
    (5) put on a cookie sheet
    (6) sprinkle garlic salt and squeeze lemons on top of the crumbs
    (7) to make it savory for those not worried about butter calories, add a TBSP of butter dripped atop each filet
    (8) bake in oven (400 degrees) until the top is browned and the fish starts to kinda crack open like it's falling apart.
    (9) serve with lemon wedges
    :smile:
  • sidkrose
    sidkrose Posts: 35
    Options
    Salmon is my favourite. I put pepper and garlic and herb mrs dash and bake it in the oven. (400F for 15-25 min depending on size) and afterwards I squeeze lemon juice on it. It's delicious.
  • MichelleZannone
    Options
    I made swai for dinner tonight. Bought frozen fillets, thawed them, rinsed and dried, sprayed pan and fish with canola spray, pepper and garlic powder, and put some Lowery's lemon pepper marinade on top then baked @ 400° for 20-25 min. easy and delish :drinker:
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Do you like sushi? Sashimi? I use it in my salads or purchase sushi making ingredients and make my own. Not pretty, but delish:

This is not my post, so I am not inserting pictures here, but welcome to see them online with links below.

1. I start with washed salmon filet:
    http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a395/Vextrain/MFP/1washfish.jpg

2. I use coarse kosher salt and stevia powder (I am carb-conscious). The ratio is 3 to 1. For each 3 TBSP of salt, I use 1 TBSP of stevia. And this 4 TBSP combination is for each 1LB of fish.
    http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a395/Vextrain/MFP/2cutandprepare.jpg

3. Next 2 hours keep the fish in room temp and let cure. The fish will release juice. Drain it. Then cut it up, fold it in glass dish and in the fridge. The fish will continue releasing juice. You need to drain it. first 12 hours. After it will stop.

4. I wait 24-36 hours before I eat it. Simply slice the way you want it.
    http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a395/Vextrain/MFP/4cutupandenjoy-1.jpg

5. I add it in squares to my salads or make my "sashimi" dish with dry seaweed, onions, and seaweed in sesami oil:
    http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a395/Vextrain/MFP/2012-06-29114145.jpg

Give it a shot :)
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I make tilapia a couple times a week, I but it in a baking dish, put a little butter (or whatever you use) and season it, sometimes lemon pepper, sometimes creole. I bake it till it looks almost done the broil it for about 2 min. I use lemon juice with mine too. Easy peasy.
  • badtastebetty
    badtastebetty Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I wrap salmon with dill, garlic, and lemon and wrap in tin foil. Cut up an assortment of veggies and through everything in the oven at 350 for 20-30 minutes.

Delicious every time!
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    White fish tends to be the mildest - swai, tilapia, cod, just to name a few.

Be sure to get a boneless fish for your first time. It would probably ruin your lifetime fish experience if you got a bone stuck in your gumline. We've had good luck with the frozen fish at Costco.

When I experiment with seasonings, I usually wish I'd just gone with the old standby: salt, pepper, garlic powder.

It bakes easily in the oven. Ask Chef Google for directions for the specific fish you buy. Throw it in a greased (or Pammed) pie plate, cookie sheet, cake pan - any shallow ovensafe dish will be fine. It will probably cook around 350 degrees for 10 minutes or so. It doesn't take too long - the fillets are usually pretty thin. Fish flakes easily with a fork once it's ready. Don't be afraid to check it every 2 minutes when you think it's almost done.

You might also want to poke at it while it's raw so you become familiar with it.

Fish is also good on the grill, but that's a little more difficult. It tends to be a bit drier, and can stick to your grill. For your first few times, stick with the oven so you don't get discouraged.
  • HelstonSonia
    Options
    I use any white fish fillet (whatever is on offer usually!) - we had hake last night which was yum.

I wrapped each fillet individually in foil, with a couple of strips of lemon zest and a sprig of fresh time. Seal up the foil parcel, and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.

Healthy and tastes good!
  • ereckless82
    ereckless82 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of different kinds of fish, but our fav's are tilapia and salmon. For the tilapia, I season it with s&p, dredge it through a little potato flour, then egg white, then a mixture of seasoned italian breadcrumbs mixed with some freshly grated parm reg cheese. put a teaspoon of olive oil and a teaspoon of butter in the pan and cook it for a few minutes on each side. squeeze lemon on it once you flip it and then again after it is done. DELISH!

With the salmon, I prepare it a few different ways. Baked with a whole grain dijon, garlic, tiny bit of mayo, parsley, panko and lemon juice crust. Grilled with cajun seasoning (salt free) and sea salt and pepper, or grilled in tin foil with a mixture of rosemary, capers, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

Good luck!
  • lahlstephens
    lahlstephens Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Tilapia is definitely a good choice. I also buy the bags with the individually frozen filets. Thaw before cooking. I spray a nonstick pan with real olive oil spray, sprinkle each filet on both sides with lemon pepper and sauté until they are a light golden color and flaky. Do not overcook. To me this is the best tasting, quickest recipe I have found and my family loves it. I am not a fish lover but I can eat this. Recently I bought some fresh made salsa from the produce/deli department and put it on top of my fish and rice and it was really good!
  • kalika47
    kalika47 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    easiest way to prepare a whole meal!!- I put a tilapia fillet (or trout) in steamer basket with cauliflower and broccoli. Steam for about 5 -8 minutes, and done! a little butter and seasoning, and you have a whole meal!
  • bluedevil005
    bluedevil005 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I love the tilapia loins from Costco--frozen and individually packaged, nice and mild. My favorite is TONS of paprika, salt and pepper. So tasty. I either "pan-fry" or bake/broil it. I like baked/broiled salmon too.
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    i cook tilapia frequently, this is my favorite marinade/sauce for it! its so yummy that i've used it on grilled shrimp too. i don't eat chicken but i bet it be delish with that as well.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/sweet-spicy-citrus-tilapia-10000002001927/
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Grill it, bake it, steam it, fry it....it's all good.

I love steaming a good flaky white fish like cod with some ginger...I love my salmon baked with some tomatoes, onions, and kalamata olives...I love my Tuna and Mahi on the grill...salmon as well. Any white fish for a good fish fry. I don't do breaded and deep fried much anymore, but that's also good on occasion with some homemade fries.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of tilapia and tuna. I'll bake tilapia and then serve w/ hot sauce or Old Bay on top. Tuna steaks get George Foreman'd and served in low-carb Trader Joe's (Trader Jose's hehehehe) wraps, soft-taco style.