Weight lifting for women

Options
Falenea
Falenea Posts: 263 Member
Hi all, I am considering trying out weight lifting and need some beginner advice on where and how to get started. I am not a fan of gyms either so first off I am wondering what kind of equipment would I need?

I just have a small set of weights, 3, 5, and 8's plus a set of bands, plus a pull up bar.

I have my macro's set up as recomended by the wonderful folks from the group Eat, Train, Progress.

I have just finished a round of P90X Classic and I am currently doing Insanity. My results seem lukewarm so far :(

Anyway just shopping for ideas. Maybe I need to shock my body into submission with some hard core training at this point.

Looking forward to your responses. Have a wonderful day all!

Replies

• Rak0ribz
    Rak0ribz Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    A lot of people seem to like the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women." I'm reading its andro-counterpart right now, getting ready to change up my weights workout, and it's pretty good so far. The Stronglifts 5x5 program online also emphasizes exercise that you can probably do in your home.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    You may want to check out Stronglifts 5x5 for women group. They are very helpful. And I love the stronglifts program. It is geared toward men, but it is fun and makes me feel like a badass. You just need to listen to your body and tailor it to you. You can see the videos of both workout sessions on youtube. However you will prolly need to go to a gym for that since it requires an olympic bar.

Another program is New Rules of Lifting for Women. Get the book and read up...there is also a group here for that. I started there but found the StrongLifts 5x5 easier.

good luck,
  • KML617
    KML617 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Bump! Sorry... don't have any advice for you, but I'm curious to see what others say =) Good Luck!
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength, NROLFW, Stronglifts 5x5... all great places to start. Eat, Train, Progress will be a good resources as well as the Girls Who Lift group.

If you want to stick to lighter dumbbell/bodyweight at home workouts, there are some good posts on NerdFitness.com for BW exercises. Also, in the Girls Who Lift group I think there is a thread dedicated to minimal equipment/bodyweight workouts.
  • msbluejay
    msbluejay Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My advice: buy a book called "New Rules of Lifting for Women" by Lou Schuler. My husband (then boyfriend) gave me this book as a gift and what a mighty gift it was! This book was life-changing for me, because it gave me the knowledge and training plan to feel confident in the "testosterone zone" at the gym. With the plan in the book, I lost 23 pounds of unwanted fat within three months and gained a great deal of strength and muscle.

The key (as with healthy eating) is to be consistent! Don't be afraid to lift heavy. You'll see faster results from low rep and high weight programs than high rep and tiny weight (which is what women are normally told to do). Trust me, you won't get "bulky" like most women incorrectly believe; you'll get muscle tone in no time, which also helps with fat burning.

That's my two cents. : )
  • lhatt83
    lhatt83 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Chalene Extreme at home and have has amazing results (I can share pics if you are interested). I really like having a program to follow along with and she is great about teaching you proper form
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/stroutman81/view/resistance-training-foundation-19725

It covers all the basics and is completely free ;)
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I just posted a similar topic (didn't notice this one until after) so I am also fishing for suggestions :smile:
  • jlcarcajc4
    jlcarcajc4 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • msbluejay
    msbluejay Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow, I apparently couldn't type fast enough, because you all gave the same advice before I finished writing! haha

As an added thought: when I finished the New Rules of Lifting for Women, I went to the original New Rules of Lifting (for men) book. I am still seeing results, which is awesome.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Squat rack
    Barbell
    Bench that can go inside the rack
    Weight plates set (2.5lbs, 5lbs, 10lbs, 25lbs, 35lbs, 45lbs)
    powerful music system

Should be able to find a lot of that stuff used on craigs list.

You can also start to do a lot of things with just your body weight and those dumbbells you have now. Till you get your barbell! Good luck.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Stronglifts here. It's free and it's simple. You do need access to a squat rack, bench, and barbell though.
  • ValMartin79
    ValMartin79 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Great advice. Think I may have to buy that book. Love the results I get from P90X and love lifting but don't find doing more reps with lighter weights as effective as it was in the beginning. Upped my weight by 3lbs but can still pump out a ton of reps. Would love to get the same result (or better) with less reps.
  • tobirhae
    tobirhae Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I just started the New Rules of Lifting for Women program yesterday. I liked the first workout and I'm definitely feeling it today. You do need a barbell and stuff for it, though.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I don't like the gym, either, LOL...I picked up a rack/bench combo initially, was gifted a standard barbell and plates, and jumped right in doing StrongLifts 5x5. I love the simplicity of the program, and the compound nature of the lifts. It's so easy to remember since it is only three lifts per workout. :)
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I will add my vote for the New Rules of Lifting for Women. I am creating a routine with New Rules of Lifting for Life (over 40 years old version).

If you have some version of a smart phone or tablet. Check out the market place, there are some decent free apps that offer lots of suggested exercises and routines. The free stuff takes some time to sort through and figure out, but is a way to get going.

I do not suggest heavy lifting without some direction of a trainer. I gave myself a small hernia last year by lifting too heavy too fast and with poor form. Better to take the time & $ to learn good/safe form before trying to lift heavy. But, there are lots of great exercises for all parts of the body you can do with small weights and body weight. ie pushups (there are a multitude of variations) & pull - ups. Both are awesome exercises that activate a multitude of muscle groups.

For push-ups, check out the free phone/table app - 100 push-ups. A program over several weeks to get to 100 non-stop push-ups.
  • cacleghorn
    cacleghorn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    NerdFitness keeps it simple:
    PUSH: Push Ups, Dips, Handstands
    PULL: Pull Ups, Body Rows
    LEGS (work both PUSH AND PULL) – Body weight squats, pistol squats, lunges, box jumps
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/01/24/rage-against-the-machine-how-to-switch-from-exercise-machines-to-free-weights/

It sounds simple, but my upper arms were dying the day after I first tried to do a handstand. And isn't simple better, when it comes to an exercise routine? You don't need any equipment, for the most part, and, what you could need, you can find at most elementary school playgrounds. (Or use your pull up bar for!)
  • Falenea
    Falenea Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the responses. I am going to a community wide garage sale this weekend and hoping to pick up some equipment cheap!
  • DaveGlasnost
    DaveGlasnost Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the responses. I am going to a community wide garage sale this weekend and hoping to pick up some equipment cheap!

Oh cool I'm going shopping for the same thing this weekend, big garage sale here too!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    hire a trainer for a few sessions to get u started. That's my advice. I wouldn't change your diet tho, until you see how your body does.