Friends with back problems??

Options
I have 2 messed up discs in my lower back and 1 in my neck that makes it hard for me to do several exercises. I would love to hear from some of you who have worked through similar issues. My physical therapy was basically stretching and leg lifts, but no "reduction" type exercises. My doctor said it depended on what I could "tollerate". I've GOT to do something though, because I've gained about 60 pounds since my back started acting up 2 1/2 years ago. New friends?? Advice??

Replies

• Rarity2013
    Rarity2013 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My sister in law has severe disc problems with her back. Apparently exercise balls are the things to use, but I'd check with your doctor and see if they agree first.
  • frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have 2 herniated discs and a messed up left shoulder. My exercises are usually walking, Callenetics or Pilates DVD's and gardening. If I overdo it does cause me pain. I use a heating pad and a few Advil if necessary to get me through it. I'm determined that nothing is going to stop me this time :)
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    There are some things I can't do. I have a birth defect in my neck (the top two discs are partially fused together...so I have limited mobility). I had shoulder surgery almost three years ago (June 1) and there are things I can't do (hanging from a bar w/ my weight makes it feel like my shoulder is going to rip off and push ups ~ because the two tears they fixed were right there in the front, so the weight makes it feel like it is going to rip or something).

I do have lower back problems. I don't know what it is officially, but there are days I can't even touch my chin to my chest because of the very low back pain.

I have found that doing hip opening stretches really do help my lower back, tho. And if I feel "tight", I will just try to do a low impact workout like elliptical.
  • LadyZephyr
    LadyZephyr Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I have scoliosis of the spine, meaning my spine twists at two different points. This has caused damaged to my cranial nerve, and I also have muscles in my back that are sort of fused together and having less movement than they should. Not bad discs, but back problems.
    They can cause me a lot of pain. And I mean a lot. Sometimes I can't walk far without being in agony, and I'm restricted to exercises that don't aggravated that or my hypermobility syndrome, which affects a majority of my joints, particularly my hips, shoulders, toes and knees.
    It's possible to work through it, it's just a case of listening to your body and knowing your limits. Don't push yourself too far or you'll do more damage that good. I've been working on strengthening my core to help with my back at the advice of my physio. I also to yoga and pilates to help with it.
    If you want to add me feel free (:
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I like swimming but some strokes hurt my back like the butterfly and that's my best stroke...
  • Terk1968
    Terk1968 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Biking has helped my back issues. The stationary bike doesn’t seem to do much for me but riding outdoors has been a big help. You might want to check with your doctor to see if this is a good option for you.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I had a herniated disc in my lower back that was pressing on a nerve that sent pain shooting down my leg, after months of physical and drug therapy with no relief, my ortho referred me to a neursurgeon. Did some research on my own and started doing yoga. After about a couple of months (which is how long it took me to get in to see the neurosurgeon) I was doing much better, no pain and the surgeon said surgery is no longer an option, to keep doing what I was doing. Yoga, yoga, yoga, yoga. Did I mention you should try yoga?
  • leighanngates
    leighanngates Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    PT had me doing ball squats against the wall. I will see what else I can do with it. :-) I LOVE swimming, but moved away from the pool I was using. I will definitely check in to the Yoga. I have the Wii Fit that has Yoga on it. Jessie, what are hip opening stretches? Thank you all. <3
  • BrennLinn
    BrennLinn Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing, herniated discs, chip in my vertebrae and couldn't do anything. Well 42 lbs lighter and some physical therapy and I am doing amazing. My back doesn't randomly go out anymore and I haven't felt any pain in several months! You can add me if you'd like!!
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    i would try finding a drs office that advertises as "sports therapy." i had been in pt two times last year. first time was just a pt place, second was a sports therapy office that had both chiro and pt. HUGE difference. be sure to speak up and tell them what your goals are so you can possibly move a little faster in progress (they will cut you off at some point).

unfortunately, i've found that when you aren't in the best of shape even drs assume that you don't move and don't want to. trying to move without re-injuring is what needs to be learned - be sure you are telling them that.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    The weight loss isn't helping the back problems, but you knew that.

Ask your doctor for a referral to a physical therapist who can work with you to develop an exercise routine suitable for your situation. This isn't something to figure out on your own.

Low impact pilates with bands/ball/blocks will most likely be the best bet--but seriously, get with a licensed P/T for advice.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I have disc compression in the vertebrate closes to my waist line and suffered a disc protrusion which left me with some minor nerve and muscle problems in my lower back. Since the injury I put about 100lbs on my Deadlift and 60 lbs on my Back Squat, two exercise in-which my sports medicine doc told me I would never do again. I'm constantly in some state of discomfort with my back whether I'm sitting at my desk, walking, or under a barbell; I've just learn to deal with it. I imagine it will never go away.