A few different things/questions :)

Options
Hi! My name is Sara and I've been at this weight loss/getting healthy lifestyle change for awhile now, but have never made a hello post. SO HI!! I'd love to make some new friends and form a wonderful support system, and would also be honoured to be a support system for my friends in return! As long as you are an active user, I have no prereq's, as I would like to believe that everyone on here is lovely and friendly and nonjudgemental. So add away!

I've been going slow and steady (Because that wins the race, right?) but I've just recently finished my first year of university (going onto my second degree now...) and am ready to amp it up!

With my summer break just starting I want to do and try so many things, find what I LOVE so that I can make these things a habit before I go back to school in the fall.

I'm (re)starting C25K tomorrow night after my day, and am suuuuper pumped about it. BUT, I've been DYING to start lifting heavy for awhile now. I've been reading some things online to teach me how to get started, but wanted to ask this BEAUTIFUL community of MFPers for anything they've learned through trial and error or tips and tricks for a beginner :) Also any articles you've found helpful or any other information you'd be willing to offer this gal.

I also want to know what inspires YOU and what motivates you to keep going! There's no such thing as too much motivation and I think that if we share what keeps as chugging, we can only help each other. Right? Right.

I'm sure I had more questions/ things to say but they've slipped somewhere between my head and my fingertips. So for now, I leave you all with this and will graciously appreciate any new friends, motivation tips, or helpful hints :)

Love, Sara

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

So, for the heavy lifting, here is my advice: Get New Rules of Lifting for Women. it is a great overall look at health and food and weight training. The author explains the science behind what the workouts are. He also provides 6 months or so of full workout routines with pictures and explanations (step by step) of how to do the particular exercise. I love this book and am just starting Stage 3 tomorrow (lost over 4" off my tummy so far!). I had NO IDEA where to start before reading this book.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of both heavy lifting and running. Lately I've ventured into crossfit. But since you ask about motivation, it is something that I have considered for awhile and regardless of what my goal has been or my method, I feel like this applied for me...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818701-the-myth-of-motivation-and-what-you-need-instead?show=search
  • juleskitcat
    juleskitcat Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi Sara, What is C25K>? I've been reading a lot about 30 day shred and was thinking I may try to do this... have you seen the posts and pictures? Pretty darn amazing! :D

J
  • sara0ann
    sara0ann Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi Sara, What is C25K>? I've been reading a lot about 30 day shred and was thinking I may try to do this... have you seen the posts and pictures? Pretty darn amazing! :D

J

Hey! C25K is a phone app that stands for 'Couch to 5 k". It takes non runners and works you through a 9 week program (which you can slow down or speed up to your desired level), resulting in your ability to run 5 k or for half an hour straight :)

@3dogsrunning, thanks for that post! It was so great to read! :) And definitely eye opening!

@jzammetti- Thanks for the tip! I will look into that book :)