much needed NSV this morning

Options
I haven't been on the scale since April 1. That was really hard for me as I am a slave to the scale, even though I know better. This morning when I got up I thought well let's just see. I gained two pounds.

WHAT?!?!?!?!??! :angry: :mad:

So here comes the conversation with myself in the bathroom mirror....

you GAINED? WTF! Why bother then? Why are you up at 3am to go to the gym? When you GAIN?
Ok what about your jeans that you can wear now that you couldn't a month ago. You are toning and losing inches.
BUT you gained! It's the 25th! That's 25 days! You should have lost SOMETHING!!
you are right. why bother. go back to bed for 1 1/2 hours. Stop at McDonalds and get breakfast. It's been soooooooooooo long....
etc....etc....

Still mad I throw on my workout clothes and head to the gym. WHY? Because I need to and I know if I don't go I'll beat myself up all day.

Finished with the elliptical I get off to head to the weightroom, still ticked at the sadistic scale. In my gym I have to walk through the main gym to get to the woman's only room. I normally have that place to myself so I go there. In the main gym are what I affectionately call the "muscly grunty guys". A few guys that are there everyday when I am, in the middle of the night lol. Said my good mornings and Gordy stopped me. We got to talking and he said...Christy I just wanted to say that since you've started coming? WOW do you look different. The way you've toned and lost? You are a totally different person now. I'm really impressed with what you have accomplished. You look amazing.

After I picked up my jaw off the floor I wanted to hug him lol. This super toned muscly grunty guy complimented ME! ME! The woman that just 45 minutes earlier was ready to throw in the towel. Ready to crawl back into bed instead of moving my body. Ready to give up the healthy eating. Because of what the scale said.

I don't think he realized what he did for my mentality this morning but I am so grateful for whatever reason he decided to tell me today. Today was the best NSV I've gotten so far.

Never underestimate the power of words on other people. They may be just what they needed to turn them back on the right track :smile:

Replies

• marialydia
    marialydia Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story today...it is inspiring for all those days and weeks when the weight does not come off and for all the times I am too tired/busy/uninspired to go for a workout. And also for the next time the muscly guys seem to own the space...
  • bsmithmia
    bsmithmia Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Great story and example why we just have to keep pushing day in and day out.
  • melotj
    melotj Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing!
  • kdkyzer
    kdkyzer Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Yay for you!!! Keep pushin!
  • sclaibo
    sclaibo Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I REALLY needed to hear that this morning!
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    Need reminding that the scale is evil....it's so easy to become a slave to it! I haven't lost a thing lately but have had several people tell me I look like I have. Am thinking of throwing my bathroom scales away. Congrats on soldiering on :drinker:
  • Jewelsfla
    Jewelsfla Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I think you should thank him for the words of acknowledgement of your efforts. Let him know it was just what you needed on that given day to keep you moving forwards. Sometimes people just aren't aware of how they positively affect your day. Glad you got the sign you needed that you are indeed moving in the right direction!
  • Raven413
    Raven413 Posts: 86
    Options
    Thanks for sharing and for not giving up. It all pays off in the end!!!
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Great NSV! Congratulations!
    A good incentive to avoid the trip to McDonalds!
    Bless the guy who took the time to give you the lift you needed.
  • gebe1231
    gebe1231 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Huge congrats to ya!!! I so know what ya mean...the unexpected compliments really do something for ya!!! Keep up the great work!!
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this, congrats on your success so far! :happy:
  • christy3565
    christy3565 Posts: 349
    Options
    I think you should thank him for the words of acknowledgement of your efforts. Let him know it was just what you needed on that given day to keep you moving forwards. Sometimes people just aren't aware of how they positively affect your day. Glad you got the sign you needed that you are indeed moving in the right direction!

I did thank him, repeatedly lol. Although I didn't tell him how my morning had gone he did know how much I appreciated him saying what he did.

Thank you all so much :smile:
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this! You've reminded me that MrWW still hasn't hidden our scales despite asking him a couple of times, I'm off to remind him now!
  • MrsSAJones
    MrsSAJones Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I really needed this story today. Totally inspiring.
  • NHoughton13
    NHoughton13 Posts: 303
    Options
    I too know better but am on the scale every morning. Thanks for once again reminding me to throw it out the window :tongue:
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    You are so beautiful! Just wanted to say that.

Congrats on your success so far - having the determination to press on when you're not seeing the scale results you want shows that you will certainly have long term success. Good work!!
  • arubiano
    arubiano Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This is just so awesome! So happy for you that your efforts are recognized. Congratulations!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!