Hit a Plateau, almost 40 lbs gone, but so much more to Lose!

Options
I still have 90lbs to lose to be where I want to be, but I keep going in this weird cycle. One week I stay the same or gain like 0.2 of a pound, up my exercise level and eat super healthy the next week to make up for it and manage to lose 2 more lbs, and then the week after while doing the exact same things as the week before I'm back staying the same. I can only lose 2 lbs every 2 weeks and it's incredibly frustrating. I've tried eating less, I've tried eating more, I've tried everything. I don't know what to do anymore. I'm so frustrated.

Anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• noe117
    noe117 Posts: 18
    Options
    I wish I knew the answer. Im in the same boat. I keep telling myself not to get discouraged because of how far I have come. Ive come to far to give up now.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    It's hard to not be a little disappointed. I'm like you though, just keep telling myself that I will get past this.. just need to keep pushing.
  • noe117
    noe117 Posts: 18
    Options
    It sure is disappointing. But WE WILL SUCCEED :flowerforyou:
  • Cathy7794
    Cathy7794 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    2 pounds every 2 weeks is great!! It's taken me almost 5 months to lose 2 pounds. :grumble:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's normal. After the first month it started happening to me, except I pretty much gain/stay the same for 2-3 weeks, then lose 7lbs in 10 days, rinse and repeat. As long as it keeps coming down, you're doing it right. But I'm with you and wishing it was faster!
  • KateMq
    KateMq Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just keep up the good work! You'll get there. I recommend you do increase the exercise to what's comfortable, at least walk 30 min a day to keep it up without feeling overwhelmed. Also, decrease calories to what's healthy, I don't believe in the increasing calories to loose weight.
    Another thing, I notice my plateaus are hormone related and the week before my period I'll gain a pound, then loose 2 by the time it's done. So maybe check that, water weight can be a factor.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary so it's hard to say... are you doing cardio and weight training? Are you eating lots of prepackaged/processed foods that are SUPER high in sodium? Are you drinking your 8 glasses of water?
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Also, decrease calories to what's healthy, I don't believe in the increasing calories to loose weight.

I lost the most weight when I was netting between 1400-1600 calories. Whenever it gets down to right at 1200 I stop losing. Something to consider.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    How much/what are you eating? It would be helpful if your diary was open. Also, what are you doing for exercise?
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    It's normal. Same thing here. I've lost about 30 lbs at a 2 lbs a week rhythm and now it has slowed down to average 1 lbs a week. You definitely have not plateaued. ( Plateau means NO MOVEMENT on the scale at all for more than 6 weeks) You're body is now slowing down your weight loss. You're not doing anything wrong, you're just losing more slowly.
  • luckyinlove2
    luckyinlove2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Here's a question--are you set up on MFP to lose 1 lb a week? If so, then you are reaching your goal. Weight loss does slow off and on through this journey .Look at the graph of your weights from this site--maybe print one off occasionally. Losing the weight means you are winning!
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    If you aren't weighing your food, buy a scale.

Weigh yourself, Weigh your food.

I just broke through, not realizing how much more I was really eating, then I was estimating.
  • Daxton
    Daxton Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I hit this plateau a few weeks ago and had to change my diet pretty drastically, from 1800 calories to 2200 calories a day, with an emphasis on protein. I'm still leary of weighing myself (3 weeks) , but I think I am seeing positive results in muscle tone.

My point being that if your body has gotten used to the lower calorie diet, adding more calories will encourage it to burn them faster (metbolism). I went from 1500 a day, to 1650 and then 1800 over a period of almost 18 months.

Increasing snack times between meals will help too. *hop off soapbox*
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Also, decrease calories to what's healthy, I don't believe in the increasing calories to loose weight.

I lost the most weight when I was netting between 1400-1600 calories. Whenever it gets down to right at 1200 I stop losing. Something to consider.

I agree, I eat about 2,000 a day right now because I do a lot of lifting. Here is a good calculator to help you determine how much you should be eating based on your activity, http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    That is frustrating but if you are losing 2 pounds every two weeks - thats a pound a week and thats a very healthy way to lose.
  • ChiroChelle19
    ChiroChelle19 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been in the same boat for a month or so too, I've lost 37 lbs, and have about 30 more to go, but this past month or so my weight just keeps fluctuating between the same five lbs. It is frustrating. I would pay attention to when you're eating what. Make sure you are getting protein first thing in the morning to help lower your cortisol levels. And limit the amount of carbs and sugar you are having at and after dinner, those calories are better used during the day.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    First off, what exactly is the issue? You aren't happy with 1 lb per week weight loss?
    Secondly what are your stats, how many calories are you currently eating and what is your activity level?

You mentioned that you've tried upping your calories- but unless you did that for at least a month, it is impossibe to say it "didn't work". If you are eating too low, your weight loss is going to stall.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    change up your work outs and change up your food! Seriously, sometimes your body just needs a little shake up to get going again.

And I'm a TOTAL believer in upping your calories! Are you working out hard? Cause if you are your body just might need some more fuel. Think of it as a car, the more you go the more gas you need to continue. I was eating a little over 1200 calories for awhile and nothing happened - now I eat between 1600-1900 calories a day depending on my activity level and I'm actually losing.

I have a lot more to go to just don't give up. I have a few times and every time I really really regret it.

Also, I went to weekday vegetarian. Not something that can work for everyone but I've seen a really big difference since starting that and it's only been two weeks. :D

Good luck to you!!! I have 90+ pounds to lose to hit my weight where I will readjust my goal and start strength. I have 33 lbs lost so far. I'm far from perfect, but I try. If you want a friend feel free to add me. :D
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I've been at the same weight since Feb. it can be frustrating but count your successes! I am lifting so I know it slows down but I have gotten results elsewhere.

Keep going forward and don't give up!
  • blackmantis
    blackmantis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I've been plateaued for 5 months :-/