5k Advice!

Options
I am going to be running my first 5k May 4th! I wanted to get some tips, and helping advice from those who have run a 5k, whether you have run 20 or 1! Any tips will help! Thanks :)

Replies

• HeatherDee92
    HeatherDee92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • jrue1985
    jrue1985 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    My first is this Sunday :-O
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    If you had more time I would suggest C25K, which basically gradually builds enurance. Do you run at all currently? What kind of cardio are you used to?
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping this for the purpose of wanting some 5K'ers to give advice :) I was going to ask if anyone was literally getting ready to start a 5K training schedule so I'm thinking maybe that might fall under your post for advice :) Let's hope we get some experienced feedback....Good luck...I will be interested to see not just what advice you get but also how you do!!!!
  • bluefish49
    bluefish49 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Do several "practice" 5K's beforehand so you know what your endurance and comfortable pace is. Don't worry about beating everyone else, just concentrate on completion. Its OK to walk, and its ok to finish last ( I finish last 75% of the time), Make sure they have your correct T-Shirt size. :laugh: HAVE FUN!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first on June 1. The training program I'm using (from the race I'm running's website) suggests running in your chosen race day outfit in as close to likely race conditions (nutrition, time of day, etc.) as possible for your long run prior to that to get a feel for how you feel. You might also want to find a route that's similar in landscape to the race you're running. I mostly treadmill run, but will be able to get outside a few times before the race, and I plan to try some different routes.
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K (C25k) is the way to go. You don't have alot of time, so if you're not a runner, I think you should start running every day until the day of the race. If you need help building endurance, look to C25K.
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5K in the summer last year. I think what I was most surprised by was how friendly and supportive the other runners are. They don't care if you run it in 25 minutes or 60 minutes. The whole running comminity is wonderful. For breakfast that morning, I had 2 slices of whole grain bread with peanut butter and honey and a banana. I thought that worked out pretty good.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I generally avoid coffee the morning of a run. Best advice though... don't wear anything that you haven't already run in before, race day is not the day to try out your new shorts or shoes lol

Most of all just have fun because thats what its all about!! What race are you doing?

Good luck!
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Oh and as a new runner, I got sore a lot. I felt like I performed better on race day if I took the prior couple or even 3 days off from running. That way my legs were rested and I was able to push myself harder.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Go out slow. stay near the back.
    Really, you can get hyped up and burn yourself out

The water was the big issue with my first 5k. Either stop and drink it, or pinch the top of the cup and tip it. If your not used to it, you can choke a bit on it.

Save a little for the end to have a big finish. They usually have cameras there and half of my 5k pictures are of me practically walking across the finish line.
  • letobot
    letobot Posts: 205
    Options
    For your first 5k, just show up and have fun. Set mini goals, like running the entire first mile or only walking during the water stops. The distance is relatively short so you don't need to "carb load." I usually eat half a bagel w/peanut butter or a kashi bar a couple hours prior. Good luck, you'll do fine.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5K in the summer last year. I think what I was most surprised by was how friendly and supportive the other runners are. They don't care if you run it in 25 minutes or 60 minutes. The whole running comminity is wonderful. For breakfast that morning, I had 2 slices of whole grain bread with peanut butter and honey and a banana. I thought that worked out pretty good.

That was always my favorite part of cross country when I ran it in high school. I can't think of many sports where the competitors will line the course when they are done and cheer you on. It really is a community and the main reason I still love to run!
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Doing my first in June... i'm doing the Color Vibe run so I'm glad its more of a fun run than a timed one :) I downloaded an app on my phone to tell me how far/how fast i'm running... used it yesterday and I did exactly 1/3 of a 5K at 12min/mile. So, I just have to do that 3 times and I'll be there... planning on running the 1 mile until I can do it comfortably (a few weeks) then bump it up to 2... and so on.

Good luck!
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post. I'm running my first 5k on May 11th - Color Me Rad. Everyone is giving really great tips.
  • LawRahB
    LawRahB Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm no expert, but here are some things I have found helpful: small snack of carbs a few hours before (banana, toast with peanut butter); quit drinking water 30 minutes before race; STRETCH before and after; have fun and keep in mind that you will finish! You may not be first, but you will finish!
  • gelamex
    gelamex Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First at all have fun!, Don't feel presure about many people passing you at the beggining, some are faster than you no matter what you do, others they might pass you very fast during the first mile, but then you will reach them :) .
    Keep a steady pace and enjoy it!
  • fabiomuralha
    fabiomuralha Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Just do the same things in the day before the race, then you do before a common day of training.
    During the race drink some water after the 2k or 20min of running.
    Sleep well before.
    Don't run too fast in the start of the race, run at your pace.
    Try to estimate a good and comfortable pace for you, and keep it in the race, in the last kilometer or 500 meters try to improve your pace and looks better when you pass by the finish line :P
    Eat healthy and wisely 1 or 2h before the race.
    Do a nice 10min warm up before the start of the race.

Hope that tips helps you =)
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Have fun.
  • sastrodder
    sastrodder Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I started off using couch to 5k but then I changed tack and would go onto google maps, decide a distance I wanted to cover, so maybe 2.5 or 3 k at first and plot a run. Then I decided that I would run as much of it as could, if i needed to stop then fine, no pressure, but I would be concentrating on building up my distances. I found that I didn't need to stop and walk as often as I found, was able to build up my distances and as a result I am going in for my 4th 10km at the end of next month.