5k Advice!

Options
2»

Replies

• bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I hate 5ks. They hurt. That doesn't mean I don't run them....

Don't line up at the very front of the start. Let the speedy people who are actually trying to win be up there.

Don't worry about anybody else. Run your own race.

High five little kids on the side of the road.

Have fun.
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    Main points, don't try anything new whether it be food, footwear or clothing, do what works for you. Nothing worse than new trainers causing blisters or something different for breakfast disagreeing with you half way round. If you're used to running on an empty stomach, do that, if' you're used to having porridge or toast, have that. What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. Above all else, have fun and enjoy it. I have found the running community to be equally supportive to the fastest and slowest runners, take in the atmosphere and enjoy the victory of crossing that finish line.

Best of luck xx
  • avielosesit
    avielosesit Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've done a bunch ...

1. don't get out too fast. one thing that runners talk a lot about is "splits" - this basically refers to your timing for each kilometre (or mile). the goal in a 5k is to have even splits. with all the hype and excitement, it's super easy to get carried away and run mile 1 faster than your normal pace, and then pay for it severely later on.

2. no need to buy into the hype of energy gels etc. - 5k is too short. some people need water but i find that i am fine without it for a 5k, and i just go right by the water station.

3. don't put any pressure on yourself. someone here mentioned that the running community is really supportive, and it is so true. they call these "races" but there is really no competitive edge to them at all. people along the sidelines who are total strangers will cheer you on and it is pretty incredible.

4. no need to run the whole thing, but also don't let your mind get in the way. if you've trained properly for it, then you CAN do it. and so if you get tired, just do a double check to see if it's your mind that wants you to stop or your lungs/legs. i find that my mind gets in the way a lot even though my breathing is totally stable and my legs are still feeling strong.

5. eat a proper dinner the night before, but no need to carb-load either. i eat breakfast before the race because i am a generally hungry person. i don't do anything special/unusual for breakfast.

6. go to the bathroom before the race starts. allow time for lineups because everyone will be doing this.

have fun! i want to hear all about it when you're done!!
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the color vibe one in June, as well... And this is a ll great advice! Bumping :)
  • czardastx
    czardastx Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Don't start out too strong. Being your first 5K your nerves and adrenaline will be running pretty high. Try to keep to a pace you know you are comfortable with.

Don't try anything new on race day. No new shoes, no new breakfast foods, no new energy gels, etc. You don't want to find out that something you're trying for the first time will totally kill you during your race.

Stretch beforehand. Warmed up muscles are happy running muscles.

Don't worry if you can't do it all while running. My first 5K I did with a few moments of walking mixed in. I was comfortable with the length of the race but the pre-race jitters got the best of me and I ran too hard and fast at the beginning.

If you can run the course ahead of time then do that. Pay attention to the nuances of the course. The hills, the loose gravel or other rough spots, the landmarks so you can know when you're getting close to the finish.

Hydrate, before, during and after the race. It may not be hot and it may not be humid this time of year but you will be putting forth a physical exertion on your body. You will sweat and you will get thirsty. A well hydrated body also helps in avoiding cramps.

Don't be disappointed with your finish position or time. This is your first 5K. That's 3.1 miles of continuous running. Finishing it is a spectacular achievement in and of itself. Be proud that you finished, be proud that you improved your life and health to the point that you can do something like this.

Last, and most importantly. HAVE FUN!
  • jella416
    jella416 Posts: 3
    Options
    I ran my first 5k this past weekend after actively hitting the gym for about 2 months. What really helped me was someone who was on the same level, she could push me and I could push her. We maintained a good pace by not sprinting the beginning and making a competition within ourselves to keep up with other runners around our pace. Also, make sure you're hydrated several days before the race. Include a banana or 2 in your diet several days before and on race day to help curb muscle cramps. I finished in 33 mintues and that's good enough for me. GOOD LUCK!
  • smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have done 3 in the last 6 months and am doing my 4th on May 11th! I LOVE them!!! And I am NOT athletic at all! Definitely download the C25K app. It's free. I have it on my phone. It is called Couch to 5K because it's made for people that have never ran, slowly building endurance running 3 times a week and in 8 week you will be running a full 5K. Honestly I never got past week 5 and am okay with it!

When I started I couldn't run the full 30 second intervals without filling liek I was dying. But I hung in there. I now run in 8 minute intervals on treadmill and about 3 mins on ground. I finished my last 5K in 42 minutes which I was pretty proud of and am going for under 40 this time!
  • smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Oh and also keep the C25K app on your phone and get an armband to keep your phone in while you're doing the actual 5K. It really helped me to have a goal on how much to run, walk, run, walk instead of just going till I was tired. If I looked at my phone when I wanted to stop and it said just 50 seconds to go, I would keep going!
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Don't start out too strong. Being your first 5K your nerves and adrenaline will be running pretty high. Try to keep to a pace you know you are comfortable with.

Don't try anything new on race day. No new shoes, no new breakfast foods, no new energy gels, etc. You don't want to find out that something you're trying for the first time will totally kill you during your race.

Stretch beforehand. Warmed up muscles are happy running muscles.

Don't worry if you can't do it all while running. My first 5K I did with a few moments of walking mixed in. I was comfortable with the length of the race but the pre-race jitters got the best of me and I ran too hard and fast at the beginning.

If you can run the course ahead of time then do that. Pay attention to the nuances of the course. The hills, the loose gravel or other rough spots, the landmarks so you can know when you're getting close to the finish.

Hydrate, before, during and after the race. It may not be hot and it may not be humid this time of year but you will be putting forth a physical exertion on your body. You will sweat and you will get thirsty. A well hydrated body also helps in avoiding cramps.

Don't be disappointed with your finish position or time. This is your first 5K. That's 3.1 miles of continuous running. Finishing it is a spectacular achievement in and of itself. Be proud that you finished, be proud that you improved your life and health to the point that you can do something like this.

Last, and most importantly. HAVE FUN!

This. Especially the part about running the course beforehand. I did my first 5k a month ago and didn't realize that the end of the course was a very steep hill. I didn't anticipate that and tried to run the last half mile at a faster pace than I ran the rest of the race (I was feeling cocky). That hill nearly killed me.
  • kathyvstephan
    Options
    bump
  • Gordo1981
    Gordo1981 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    When you get there find out if there are any Pace bunnies. These guys and gals are often dressed up (sometimes as bunnies, sometimes just crazy colours) and will set different paceslike 12 min/Km or the like, if one of them matches your normal pace keep them in sight, If you are a little faster , see the one ahead adn try not to let the one behind pass you.
  • mjhorner96
    Options
    My first 5K I had never ran more than 2 miles. I didn't think I could ran farther than that. What I found out was that was a bunch of hooey. I ran the majority of my first 5K and finished with a very good time (just under a 14 minute mile). My biggest advice is to not let your mind get in the way of you achieving the accomplishment. In other words my mind kept telling me I couldn't but my body was more than prepared and able. Other than that I don't have much more advice than what everyone here has already mentioned. Keep your eye on your personal goals not what anyone else is doing. I always take water at the water station, even if it's just to throw in my face. :) Oh!! Find some good running music. That really keeps me motivated. My 17 year old daughter laughs at me as we'll be listening to the radio and I'll go OH! That's a GREAT running song, what is it? I have a great mix that really keeps me motivated. Don't be surprised if later on in the day you'll be wondering if you could go running again. You get sort of a "high" after it's done and I literally had to keep myself from going running in the afternoon even though my legs were shaking still from the morning. If you're on a course that circles back, don't be surprised if those runners who are out for the fastest times or are in the lead look at you and tell you good job, keep it going, you're doing great because they will. As was mentioned there is a lot of camaderie between runners. And as also was mentioned - HAVE FUN!! :)
  • road2peachtree
    road2peachtree Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    1. Your Pace Your Race :happy: : A race is a race and the distance doesn't matter (I mean it does a little but for motivational purposes we will go along with "it doesn't matter" statement). It is a race and it belongs to you. There will be people out there with snazzy running shorts and fancy shoes who are doing push ups and power jacks at the start line (true story). If that's not how you warm up, then don't even bother putting that into your mental space. There will be people who you saw at the start line and then 15 min into the race they'll be flying past you covered in sweat running in the opposite direction to get some more. Ignore them too. This is your race and you need to do it at YOUR pace.

2. Turtles Stay to the Right :bigsmile: : The worstist thing EVER in a race is for some booshy chic or dude to push past you in disgust because you are moving 'too slow' on the wrong side of the road. And sometimes, even when you aren't on the wrong side of the road, they do it anyway. Jerks. Anyway, faster runners should stay to the left, walkers and slower joggers should stay to the right.

3. Walking is Ok :wink: : As a runner, I'm as slow as a snail, but I started out run/walking intervals. And that's ok. If that's how you do it, then do it. Don't let the fancy shorts and power jack runners get in your head. Once, while run/walking, I heard a runner say "If you have to walk you shouldn't be here". Now that I run the full race, I just do a small shuffle or flat out walk through the water stations to catch my breath. That's ok too--just don't flat out stop there or else you'll jam up the line.

4. Pee/Poop in Private :sick: : Man. I have done a ton of races and I've only used the port-a-potty at 2. The lines are always long, you always feel cheap and dirty afterwards, and if you are as lucky as I was on my 1st time, you'll go behind the person who decided to partake in mad crazy fiber the night before. I swear...when I walked in there I was ready to walk right back out, but I knew my bladder wouldn't hold. So--moral of the story is--either go super early when you get to the race or just pee/poop at home. Please.

5. No Need to Carb Load :grumble: : Listen, unless you are just depleted of ALL carbs, there's no reason to take a trip to Olive Garden and order 3 plates of pasta. It's just not necessary. It isn't necessary to chow down on GU's, gels, or sport beans either. We are talking 3.1 miles...not 26.2. I mean, if you need it I guess go for it, but it's not necessary.

6. Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate :drinker: : H2O is your friend and should be especially 2 days before the race. Don't make the mistake of guzzling water at the start line after having only 2 glasses the night before--been there done that and it almost resulted in a face plant at mile 10.5. :ohwell:

7. Be Comfortable :blushing: : 3.1 miles or 300.1 miles calls for comfort. Don't try new clothing or new shoes the day of the race unless you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that they will fit like a glove and work like a charm. Don't shove yourself into some snazzy race outfit just because it looked cute in the store. Runner's clothing has a purpose, believe it or not...even the crazy socks. Compression is awesome but make sure you aren't stuffed in it like a sausage casing. It's hard to move around and operate in sausage casing (true story).

8. Have. Fun.:tongue: : More than likely, this will not be your last race. You'll probably find yourself seeking out more and more and the bigger the better. Experience everything. Smile at your fellow walkers and runners. Give high fives to the lookers on and enjoy every single step. Sometimes for me that means turning off the music and just listening to the sound of people pounding the pavement. Smile when you cross the finish line and peek up at the sky every now and then--it's a beautiful sight.

9. Rock It Out :glasses: Dance, sing, bob your head.

10. Look at the Clock :noway: : When you take off from the start, glance at the clock and then when you cross the finish look at the clock. Don't be disappointed by what you see at the finish--if you run snail slow (raising hand). Celebrate the fact that you finished and then go chow down on the post-race snackage.

Good Luck! You'll do awesome!
  • lnsy613
    lnsy613 Posts: 19
    Options
    I just ran my second 5K this past weekend - at a 12 minute mile continuous running! I really had never ran any significant distance before I started training for 5Ks and I was suprised with what I learned:

When I first first started running about a year ago I was surprised that at the beginning running CLEANS YOU OUT! It really must giggle something in there because... Well, you get the idea so do some training ahead of time. Also, running on a treadmill is vastly different than running outdoors. Everyone is different but I find that I can push myself more when I'm outdoors then when I'm on the treadmill... Probably because I'm thinking "Oh, look at that weird bird"... "I can run to that tree"... "What a nice day" rather than "This is the longest minute/mile of my entire life!"

I'll echo everything the other posters have said. Runners are really very nice and encouraging whether you are walking, running or coming in last - and I came in dead last for my first 5K in my age group. And definitely NO NEW GEAR for race day! Nothing is worse than blisters and uncomfortable chaffing - my chub rub still hurts thinking about that one pair of shorts I wore once. There is no shame in doing a run/walk either.

Good Luck and have a great time! You will be amazing!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I am going to be running my first 5k May 4th! I wanted to get some tips, and helping advice from those who have run a 5k, whether you have run 20 or 1! Any tips will help! Thanks :)

keep at your own pace - don't try to follow the herd. unless you are FAST don't stand up front. middle is great. enjoy it. cheer everyone around you on. cheer yourself on. go potty right before the race starts. don't buy anything new to wear. this means no new sneakers, sports bra, pants, shirt, socks, nothing. wear what you've been wearing or if you have a bright colored shirt that you've worn before wear that - you might need it to help find yourself in pictures if the photographer doesn't catch your bib no. try and get your pic taken but don't make it a priority. if you spit look left right and behind you first (learned this the hard way - felt horrible for spitting on the poor guy). LOL

the only person you are racing against is you. enjoy the rush. HAVE FUN!
  • HeatherDee92
    HeatherDee92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have been running since last summer slowly building up, and have been seriously training since January. I have run multiple 5k on the treadmil, but I was just seeing what Race day advice was! Thank you all for your great advice! :)