FitBit? Electronic Tracking Devices

Options
Hi, Folks:

I have been considering buying an electronic tracking device to gauge calories burned that will sync with MFP, such as FitBit. My question is as follows:

1. Who out there uses this kind of device?

2. Do you like it?

3. Do you wish you purchased a different tracker? If so, which one?

Of course, reading up on these trackers makes them all look great (and they may be), but I am looking for answers from those who actually use them.

Thanks in advance!

Dee :)

Replies

• frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    following this thread, Dee. I was wondering as well
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit and a HRM.

Although my Fitbit tends to give less calories burnt than my HRM I use it all the time as it just fits on my bra and stays there all day. It also gives me the incentive to do more especially making sure I burn enough calories. Most of my exercise is walking and if I was doing the gym or workout video I would switch to my HRM.
  • punkrain
    punkrain Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been using a borrowed Fitbit for about a week. I like that it automatically syncs, but it feels more like a fancy pedometer than anything else, I mean it tracks your steps and gives you a calories burned number, but I feel like the treadmill does that better. After using it, I am looking at getting a heart rate monitor that will integrate with Digifit that will then integrate with MyFitnessPal.
  • tattedlady75
    tattedlady75 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit zip that i got 2.5 weeks ago. Most of my exercise comes from walking so it was perfect. I love it, I can check to see how many steps i have taken or how many miles for the day and it gives me a push to try and hit my goals. If most of your exercise is going to be from something other than walking then you may want to look into getting a HRM. I dont use a treadmill and most of my walking comes from when i have a chance, randomly throughout the day at work and then evening walks in the neighborhood.
  • Zumbanator
    Options
    I have fitbit zip and I like it. It give me incentive to get up and move around when I see my "realtime" activity data displayed on the fitbit app, especially when I see how often I am just sitting doing at the computer for hours on end. Can't log activity in MFP in the usual way or there are double-entry problems and possible overestimation of caloric output.
  • pcon1212
    pcon1212 Posts: 22
    Options
    I have a FitBit and I really like it. I have a sedentary desk job and wearing the FitBit motivates me to try to fit in more movement throughout the day. Most of my exercise at this point is walking and light weight lifting so I haven't had the need for a HRM. That being said, if/when I step up my exercise routine I would also love to get a HRM that synced with DigitFit which in turn syncs with MFP.
  • FlamencoGal
    FlamencoGal Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I got my FitBit Zip last fall and I LOVE IT!!!!! It has pushed me to do 10,000 steps or more per day. I love that it syncs with MFP. I just love everything about it!!! I bought one for my BFF and she loves it now.
  • msb803
    msb803 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit! I wear it everyday(got it in November), and it's definitely helped me lose weight this year. I like it because it reminds me to be more active during the day. I do Crossfit, so I'm definitely active each evening, but using the Fitbit encourages me to move more throughout the day(I have a desk job, so this is important!) I did end up getting a HRM as well, simply because the Fitbit doesn't track most Crossfit WODs. I'll wear the HRM for those, and use the Fitbit One all day long. I hope that helps!
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    1. Who out there uses this kind of device? I use the bodymedia, it's a bit more than the Fitbit, but it's much more accurate as well. If you do a lot of walking then the Fitbit would be great, but if your into other activities such as biking, elliptical, lifting, then your not going to get an accurate reading.

2. Do you like it? LOVE it.

3. Do you wish you purchased a different tracker? If so, which one? Nope, I did a lot of research on the devices before purchasing them, and went from my HRM to the Bodymedia and it's been my staple since.

Here are a few things I found out when researching:

1) the Bodymedia is 90% accurate in most activities, it uses 5 sensors to track your calorie burn and is more accurate than an HRM

2) the HRM actually estimates your calorie burn as well, it's not any more accurate than using the machine, it estimates your calorie burn based off the oxygen intake between heart beats. I was logging 200-500 MORE calories when using my HRM.. it was quite the shocker when I switched to the bodymedia

3) If your a walker and that's your exercise, Fitbit would be great, it's basically a glorified pedometer (although I know nothing about the new one that just came out)

ANY method you chose, the most important thing is to stick with it! Doesn't matter which device you use, as long as your consistent with your numbers it will work for you.

Personally I love the Bodymedia, because I can track my calories burned, steps, activity level, sleep and so much more, and I can do this all my pushing a button on my phone. However, the Bodymedia does carry that $7.00 a month fee.
  • Eliza956
    Eliza956 Posts: 4
    Options
    I also have the fitbit zip. I had previously had the more expensive one that tracks your sleep but I was having difficulty with durability so I bought the little zip because it can get damp and not die.

I like it to keep track of how much I am moving during the day and it is like a little game for me. I find that I now park in the back of my parking garage, I take the stairs and walk more rather than having my intern run my errands.I do miss the stair count as the zip does not have that ability. I do log my activity and I do not seem to have the other issues that people have with double-entry as long as I log everything in MFP and the correct time the overrides the information from that time period.

So yea it is a glorified pedometer but I find it to be a good motivator.
  • blood6338
    blood6338 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've had my Fitbit One since November. I love how it automatically syncs to the internet when I'm near my laptop. I log my steps on another site and the fact that it's all out on the Fitbit site makes it so much easier to log several days in a row if I miss a few days logging my steps. The fact that it syncs with MFP is great too. I'm not going to claim its a 100% accurate but I've not seen a pedometer yet that was. It is a fancy pedometer but if you climb stairs for exercise it tracks floors climbed which is nice. The sleep tracking feature is nice. I realized I don't toss and turn near as much as I thought. It also has a silent alarm that you can set which is a nice feature. I've occasionally been known to sleep thru my bedside alarm...not anymore. I am considering a HRM at some point but I will probably still wear my fitbit even then to track steps. It's very secure. We did attach a lanyard to it as a precaution but the only time that's been necessary was when I wear the thin nylon running shorts. Other than that it stays in place really well.
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'll weigh in on the Bodymedia Fit, too. I've never used the FitBit, but I love the Bodymedia and the data that it tracks. It's a good fit for me, but may not be for everyone. It all depends on what you're looking for. The bottom line, to echo Eliza, is if it's a good motivator then you can't lose no matter what you choose!
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Great topic. I am actually involved in a research study that is studying this topic. The study is 2 years long and for the first 6 months every gets the same treatment- meeting once a week and weighed once a week. After the first 6 months we were broken up into two groups. Half of us got the BodyMedia Fit and half of the group didn't. They are studying to see if spending the money on the electronic tracking helps with weight loss. I am part of the group who got the BodyMedia Fit.

So after that informaiton here is what I think: (and on a side note about 1.5 years ago I got myself a heart rate monitor and loved it. I liked seeing how many calories I burned when working out)

1. Who out there uses this kind of device? I have the BodyMedia Fit (which links with MFP) but I actually like their program to track my food, so I log on here for the community but I log all my informaiton on their site.

2. Do you like it? I absolutely love it. It holds me accountable and I can see how many calories I have burned all day vs how many I have ate. So every day I have a pretty good idea about what the scale should say the next morning because of how I have been doing.

3. Do you wish you purchased a different tracker? If so, which one? My mom has a fit bit and likes that, but from being both- I really enjoy the BodyMedia fit and would recommend that. I am not sure how much they cost since I am able to use mine for free for the next 18 months (and get paid to share my results with the study whoo hoo)

For me, I like to see numbers- What i am doing, where I need to improve and it proves/disproves a lot of ideas that I had. I would recommend.
  • DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit zip that i got 2.5 weeks ago. Most of my exercise comes from walking so it was perfect. I love it, I can check to see how many steps i have taken or how many miles for the day and it gives me a push to try and hit my goals. If most of your exercise is going to be from something other than walking then you may want to look into getting a HRM. I dont use a treadmill and most of my walking comes from when i have a chance, randomly throughout the day at work and then evening walks in the neighborhood.

WIll a heart rate monitor track calories burned?
  • DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    Options

Personally I love the Bodymedia, because I can track my calories burned, steps, activity level, sleep and so much more, and I can do this all my pushing a button on my phone. However, the Bodymedia does carry that $7.00 a month fee.

Thank you. This is the first I have heard of Bodymedia and will look into it!
  • BunnieMommie
    BunnieMommie Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit One. I also have a HRM because I do other things in the gym, besides walk. I was considering the BodyBugg but did not get it. For the reason that you have to wear it around your arm. I prefer the Fitbit because it's small and no one knows you are wearing one. I like my Fitbit because it does motivate me to move around more. And like someone mentioned, I never knew I woke up so much during the night!
  • GlassSlipperGurl
    GlassSlipperGurl Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I got my FitBit Zip last fall and I LOVE IT!!!!! It has pushed me to do 10,000 steps or more per day. I love that it syncs with MFP. I just love everything about it!!! I bought one for my BFF and she loves it now.
    Same here...I will check mine, realize I need more steps for the day start walking around the house to get them in or take the dog out, etc
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    True-- you do have to wear it on your arm, so its all on your preference. I guess I just have a low tolerance for caring. Most of my shirts cover it up, and if not, its a good conversation starter "whats that on your arm" lol
    I love my Fitbit One. I also have a HRM because I do other things in the gym, besides walk. I was considering the BodyBugg but did not get it. For the reason that you have to wear it around your arm. I prefer the Fitbit because it's small and no one knows you are wearing one. I like my Fitbit because it does motivate me to move around more. And like someone mentioned, I never knew I woke up so much during the night!
  • Cassie06
    Cassie06 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had a FitBit! I loved it! Then I lost it and I can't find it!! :(
  • AnotherTryLiz
    AnotherTryLiz Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Zip and LOVE it. Hook it to my bra first thing in the morning and forget about it until an hour before bedtime to make sure I have all my steps in.