Are you a Stress eater

Options
and if so, how do you deal with it? I am a horrible stress eater, maybe there is no such thing and it's an excuse I don't know, but when I am stressed or just plain angry I eat. I need to learn how to not give into it, unfortunatly in my job, walking away doesn't work.

Anyway just wondering if anyone else out there is a stress eater/

Replies

• tinabyoder
    Options
    Yes! I am a total stress eater. It can be stress from work requirements or family relationships or just being too tired. When any of these things are present, I can eat through a whole bag chips plus a big bowl of cereal and polish it off with a chocolate bar. Ughhh. I am trying a new technique from Bob Harper called "Stop!

You have lost 18 lbs so you must be doing something right. I am still dinking around with a net gain... :( I think tracking all the calories no matter what - even the good, the bad and the ugly will eventually help stop the munching.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    When I get angry I cuss, throw things, punch inanimate objects. The last thing I want to do is shove food in my mouth. If anything I lose weight when I'm stressed. . .
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    When I get angry I cuss, throw things, punch inanimate objects. The last thing I want to do is shove food in my mouth. If anything I lose weight when I'm stressed. . .

Me too! :flowerforyou:
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I have these tiny little pills, I pop a couple of those and I don't give a shiz about meeting deadlines anymore..
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    There's a reason I haven't been able to follow MFP since I started teaching. This is it.
  • tammycolbert
    tammycolbert Posts: 236 Member
    Options

Wish I could do this, however, I work with Sick people all day long, angry sick people and when in customer service unfortunalty the customer no matter sick or not is always right.

But I do log EVERYTHING I put into my mouth and still stay below calorie goal, so that's a good thing.

Glad I am not alone.
  • TOPSmarca
    TOPSmarca Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I am definitely a stress eater. I am only recently dealing with it so do not have a lot of advice.... just the words of inspiration that really touched me. "If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution." This made me realize that by eating for stress, I was actually leaving the stress unresolved AND adding lbs..... which caused stress that went unresolved....... and on and on. I can't tell you HOW to deal with stress eating other than deal with the stress itself because if you eat instead then you have fat AND stress to deal with!!!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I am going to do some research into chemical reactions in the brain with stress and food. I am wondering why I CAN NOT eat when I am stressed. I physically choke when I force myself to eat. My throat closes up. My sister on the other hand can mainline 15 big macs when she is stressed. I am very curious to know why I am not capable of eating. I have not eaten in 2 days due to something that is giving me horrible anxiety and I am a foodie. I LOVE food so much I have a blog and a facebook page about it. I preach eating more to weigh less, I want answers as to why this is happening to me.

If anyone knows, please feel free to shoot me a message with the answer. Or reply on here.
  • qhayleys88
    Options
    I am a horrible stress eater and it's the main reason I gain weight so quickly.
    Recently I have found that working out when I'm stressed is a good way to stop myself from eating. Sometimes I have to force myself to work out but it definitely helps... Kind of hard to stuff your face when you're on an elliptical.
  • tammycolbert
    tammycolbert Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I did that at work today, I couldn't get out and go for my walk cause it is a windy pouring here and even with an unbrella I would of been soaked, so I ran up and down the stairs, did some wall push ups but until I leave at 5:30pm, these people just stress me out. I really hope I never act like them when I get older.

But it's true I do stress over work, eat and then stress over what I ate. I guess best thing to do at work is just down the water so I am horribly full and maybe I won't want anything else.
  • harric88
    harric88 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Please see yesterday's diary :D I got called a *****, a slag, told to f'off back to my own country and 25more mins of abuse from a customer on the phone - I sinned and ate 4 M&S cookies (the big ones) I'm an ANGRY eater :D that b@$t@rd wasnt worth it tbh ha x
  • tinabyoder
    Options
    Love that! And so true. It would be messy at least.:laugh:
  • Scott0508
    Scott0508 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, it's the reason I'm in the position I am now: (health of a family member, impending job loss stress). If there is one single thing I could change about myself, this would be it.
  • PhantomMidnight
    PhantomMidnight Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm a stress eater. I do really well with eating right until something gets me down up worried, and then food is almost all I can think about. Before I know it I've got something, usually whatever's closest since I'm in college and can't afford to be too picky, and I'm eating and eating until I "feel better".. which usually results in more guild/stress over what I've just eaten. But during the time when I'm actually eating, I usually feel a bit calmer, so I know that's why I do it.
    My self control seems to go on a hiatus whenever my emotions get out of line. :laugh:
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Yes,,,I struggle with this. Not always, but often enough that it is something I have to find a way to combat. So far I haven't found a good solution.
  • strohst
    strohst Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Very much so ! I eat no mater what I'm an emotional eater ! Happy sad just bc I turn to food for everything ! Wish I could stop but how ?

Also looking for some friends on here to help me more I have a bunch but don't feel like I get the support I need ... So if anyone is looking please add me

Thanks
    Stacy
  • Ta2dchic20
    Ta2dchic20 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Sigh...you are not alone. I have stress coming at me from all angles right now, so unfortunately that has left me with very little self control and an extra 5 pounds. Today is the last day I will allow it, tomorrow I will start looking for other ways to deal with it. I like what the one person said 'If hunger is not the problem, eating is not the solution' Well put!
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Urgh...another one here! I can have gone for days and weeks of being 'good' and then when a stessfull stituation pops up, I have a spoon in one hand and a Nutella jar in the other before I know what's happened! It's actually almost subconscious, no thought goes into the action. Sometimes I really wish I was one of those people who 'just can't eat' or completely loose their appetite when they are worried!

I have started kickboxing, so that helps!
  • jenbod72
    jenbod72 Posts: 3
    Options
    I am definitely a stress eater! I am also a "yes" person and often find myself taking on too much and stretch myself too thin...then when I have my breaking point I stuff my face. I don't even know what I am eating half the time, going from sweets to salty and then back to sweets. I recognize it now as being destructive to all the hard work over the previous week, but nothing seems to sooth and "medicates" me into numbness better than food. I spent a decade being a fat, stay-at-home mom using food as a drug, friend, hobby, celebration and comfort. Then I "woke up" one day and saw myself and hated it so badly. I lost 40 lbs and feel so much better, but I still struggle with my destructive love of food. My worst time of day is in the evening after work, especially if I am alone. I am trying hard to minimize the damage by reaching for high protein snacks. AND...by making sure that I have a meal planned right after work so that I won't graze and stuff my face needlessly. It's hard to explain my food issues with a husband who only eats to survive and stays thin without trying. He has no emotional attachment to food and can't understand it. I will just keep on trying to lessen the triggers that launch me into the “stuff my face” mode and keep exercising to compensate for the times I seem to have no control over my eating. One day I will overcome this challenge, I will keep moving forward and reach my fitness goals :)