40 hit me hard!

Options
:sad:
Why does getting older have to be so hard? Everything seems to be falling apart, or rebelling against my "old" ways. I have a mostly sedentary job and commute two hours round trip to work daily. I do enjoy being outside on the weekends working in the yard or flower bed. I drink tons of water every day!

I would love to see your recipes/choices for healthy meals! I am a little picky about my food and don't eat fish and almost never eat seafood. And my husband will probably not join me in low-fat/fat-free meals (if he knows about it) so I don't want to cook too much of a meal that I end up eating it for a week long!

I would also like your ideas for saving money while eating better! Prepared meals are expensive (i.e. Slim Fast, Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, Special K, etc.) but sometimes that's all you have time for!

Glad the sun is shining today!

Replies

• intriguess
    Options
    Yes 40 definitely shows up, but you are paying attention now!
    I subscribe to Whfoods.com and get a daily healthy recipe. It has changed the way I cook and is very healthy. My family enjoys the variety. My favorite recipe is mustard and tarragon chicken.
  • nolanerinbryon
    nolanerinbryon Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me...I'm turning 40 in July and have a sedentary job. I'm telling you, when you really want it, you'll do it! I'm happy to be a cheerleader and share mutual success/inspiration!
  • Armyantzzz
    Armyantzzz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Fresh veggies/frozen veggies (in place of canned veggies and other canned goods) This will help get rid of high sodium counts. Also, buy dried beans instead of canned beans (normally canned beans are sugar laden). Cut your portions down. Cook with minimal oils (baked instead of fry is best) .... Cut bread back ... Eat more grains and lose the sodas :wink: :wink: Squeeze in that exercise whenever you can...(a stationary bike in front of the t.v. would be great):smile::smile: Get that motablolism going to assist your efforts.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I just turned 45 yesterday, and I'm in way better shape now than I was at 40! :bigsmile:

Changing my eating habits and getting off my butt has made all the difference! Home cooked meals are best, we control what goes in and avoid all the high sodium pre-packaged stuff, and it's cheaper! i wouldn't go all low- or non-fat either, fat doesn't make us fat, too many calories do. Olive & coconut oils, avocados, nuts and nut butters, whole eggs, all good stuff that's good for ya too.

Stuff I've learned - eat well - good, whole foods, no diet stuff, and eat enough - going low cal didn't do me any favors, just made me hungry & grouchy! :tongue: Food is fuel! MFP is a good program when used correctly, and that means eating to your daily goal, or close to it, and eating back those exercise cals. :smile:

I also found that some form of resistance training made a huge difference in my results - body weight exercises like push ups, lunges, etc are awesome, and grab some weights if you have access to them. A good balance of strength & cardio has made all the difference for me.

And other than that, have patience! We didn't put the weight on in three weeks, and it's not going come off in three weeks. It's a process, learning to change the eating habits, making healthy choices and changes that we can stick with for life - not a temporary diet. It will happen!

My diary is open, although this week might be a little crazy as yesterday was my b-day and I have been celebrating. :bigsmile:
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Honestly, 40 is our friend!!! I used to worry about the dreaded "meno-pot belly" and the gaining ten pounds for every decade theory. But for me the opposite is true. We have more testosterone which helps with muscle building and, ahem, other amazing things. Mostly, 40 is when we have the self-awareness and maturity to go get what we want with an I don't give a f**k what anyone else may think attitude. Embrace your 40's!!!!
  • jraines1973
    jraines1973 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I turn 40 in May. I look at turning 40 as a new me and not a bad thing!
  • melanie516
    Options
    If you think 40 hit you hard..50 hit me harder..it's like the weight just doesn't want to come off as easy as it use too..
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I just turned 45 yesterday, and I'm in way better shape now than I was at 40! :bigsmile:
    :heart: 43 a couple of weeks ago...and I feel the same way!

40 is the new 30....welcome to the club, OP!!
  • melanie516
    Options
    My birthday is May 16 what's yours?
  • Tnocooks
    Tnocooks Posts: 2
    Options
    At forty-two and I'm more serious about what I take in. I joined a boxing gym in Oct. 2012 and am still the same weight (180ish at 5'3) because of eating out and socializing with my over-weight friends. I can't make them feel comfortable any longer. This is about me. I told my trainer that I'm serious now and he said, "I guess I'm going to see more of you" :laugh:
  • Moviegal77
    Moviegal77 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The Hungry Girl cookbook helps me alot. 1-2 servings per recipe and they are easy to follow (I'm not much of a cook), and all the nutritional info is attached to each recipe.

Good luck.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Im almost 40 and dont feel any different at 39 than i did at 26. Dont blame your age, blame your poor diet and lack of exercise,

Ditch the lean cuisines, low fat and fat free foods and eat normal foods- in smaller portions. Lots of fresh vegetables!
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I would kill to be 40 again!
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I doubt it is your age that is the hindrance. You should try to change you mindset. There are lots of books that might offer some assistance for some introspection. Being forty, 43 in fact, is awesome.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I'm 44. It has it's share of new not so fun things, but I'm better now than I was five, ten, even 15 years ago.
  • tauchej
    tauchej Posts: 1
    Options
    47 hit me hard so i know what your talking about i would love for you to tell me what i can get for breakfast and how do i get in the habit of drinking water all day i do juice.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Im almost 40 and dont feel any different at 39 than i did at 26. Dont blame your age, blame your poor diet and lack of exercise,

Ditch the lean cuisines, low fat and fat free foods and eat normal foods- in smaller portions. Lots of fresh vegetables!

I agree on every point, well except I'm better at 39 than I was at 26, because I take better care of myself now.

Boxed meals might do in apinch, but they aren't very nutritious and they aren't very filling.
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Although some say it is harder to lose weight at 40, I would have to say that it is hard no matter when you try. I do think that the body starts to react slower and so it takes a bit longer to lose the weight. But, if you want it bad enough, you'll achieve your goals. Feel free to add me. I am 47, turning 48 in August. Life is good!
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    You know what I always say. When 40 hits you hard, hit back harder. I got hit hard in my 40's as well, but I am finally on the road to recovery and I am almost 50, I will probably be healthier in my 50's than I was in my 40's, if I keep doing what I am doing now.
  • autumny70
    autumny70 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    40 is the new 30. I know I'm better in almost every way at 43 than I was at 33, and the best part is not really caring what anyone thinks. You don't get that when you're younger ;-)