IVF Treatment and weight loss?

Options
I just wondered if anyone had any experience with IVF treatment and if it is still possible to lose weight with this? I'm not 100% sure what medication will be used as I have the first appointment on the 14th of May where the nurse will give me all the details but if anyone has any experience I would appreciate hearing about it how it effected your weight.

I'm not doing this for myself. My sister who is 35 discovered after trying for a number of years to get pregnant that she is going through an early menopause and her eggs are too mature. The waiting list for egg donor around here is something like 4 years so I offered to donate my eggs.

We've had all the councelling and the numerous tests and everything has come back fine and we have the go ahead. I have my first injection on the 14th of May which I believe will stop me ovulating, I think I then get an appointment a couple of weeks later for a scan to check that I didn't ovulate and then start the daily injections to stimulate egg production (it all sounds very complicated so I just take it one step at a time LOL).

I've been losing weight to enable me to do this and want to continue losing weight if possible during and after too, but I don't know how the meds will effect this?

Replies

• LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I did 3 rounds of IVF with my own eggs and 2 rounds with donor eggs, starting at age 36.

The first shot basically simulates menopause so be prepared for hot flushes (if you're anything like me).

I wasn't trying to lose weight when I was doing IVF so I can't say whether it will help or hinder. You'll just have to play it by ear and not worry too much if you do gain some - it's only for a few weeks after all.

I hope your sister has better luck than I did!
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Yep, that is the first shot I was talking about! The nurse said I might get typical menopause symptoms.

I've got my fingers crossed for my sis. She did one course of IVF with her own eggs and did in fact get pregnant but lost it at 10 weeks. The consultant said that her chances of getting pregnant were very slim in the first place and that the egg was probably just too mature so that was why he recommended a donor.

Thanks for your reply x
  • LadyPakal
    Options
    In my case, not sure what drug it was, but I had to give myself daily shots for the suppression phase, then add in another shot to stimulate - so, 2 shots a day until the HCG trigger. :(

I lost the two I conceived from the 2 rounds with donor eggs, and one from my first IVF with my own eggs. It's a very difficult thing to go through and the drugs will not help with mood swings either, so be prepared for that!
  • witchy_wife
    Options
    So sorry to hear things didnt work out for you. Must be heartbreaking. It's been so hard just watching my sister go through all this so I can't imagine how it must have been for you xxx
  • LadyPakal
    Options
    Thanks - time does help though (I know it's a platitude but it is a true one). I've started putting things back together in my life now and the weight loss is a major part of that! :)
  • witchy_wife
    Options
    The very best of luck with your new journey :flowerforyou:
  • slflorian
    slflorian Posts: 33
    Options
    I did 6 rounds of insemination with shots and I did IVF in 2008 and got pregnant with Triplets. They are now 4! So proud of them!
    First off, I want to commend you for doing this for your sister! What a gift!

The first shots you will take are probably Lupron. They will keep your body from ovulating on its own before the dr is ready. It will potentially give you headaches, hot flashes, make you very irritable and lethargic. Keep pushing through - you dont have to take it long.

The stimulation drugs will probably be Follistim, Gonal F or Menupour. Those shots you have to give in your stomach but don't worry - they're really not that bad. I've done it a MILLION times and its not a big deal. Once you have enough mature follicles, the doctor will trigger you with HCG and you'll have the retrieval within 36 hours. After retrieval you will be VERY bloated, so eat a lot of salty foods and drink LOTS of water. You don't want to get OHSS (hyperstimulation syndrome). Thats very dangerous and painful so make sure you follow all of your dr's instructions!!!

After the initial bloating goes down, you should be ok in a couple days. I gained 65lbs going through infertility treatments, but that was over 6 years as well. As long as you're still eating healthy and exercising, I dont see any reason as to why you couldn't continue to lose weight.

To LadyPakal - I'm so sorry for your losses - its the hardest thing in the world to lose a child. ((((HUGS)))))
  • witchy_wife
    Options
    Thank you for your reply! I recognised the names of a couple of those meds there lol.

So pretty much any weight gain would probably be bloat? If I can stick with my healthy eating and exercise (probably just walking if some can make you lethargic!) I shouldn't actually gain weight from the meds themselves. That is good to hear. Not that it would ever stop me doing it but I like to be prepared.

The nurse mention the hyperstimulation syndrome as I have polycystic ovaries (well ovary, just my left) so she said I would be very closely monitored as PCOS could increase my chances of this, so fingers crossed it all goes well.

Again, thanks for your reply. The nurse gave us loads of information but it's sometimes easier to understand from a person who has lived it and explains it in terms I can understand :)
  • slflorian
    slflorian Posts: 33
    Options
    You are very welcome! Let me know if you have any other questions - I'd be happy to help in any way I can! Send me a friend request so we can chat easier if you want!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I had hyperstimulation syndrome and it sucked. But it's usually because the doctor give you too high a dose.

I wasn't losing weight either so I honestly don't remember, but I think I gained weight at that time. But obviously it was a stressful time as well so my diet wasn't the best.
  • witchy_wife
    Options
    Thanks for your reply x